1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

bmac fibs again

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by bmacntmac, Mar 27, 2006.

1. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

I've been around these journals for a couple of months and I thought it was time for me to keep my own.

In August of 1994 I renewed my driver's license and my weight said 210 lbs. That was the last time I was honest when they asked the question "Is everything accurate on your current license?" Every 4 years I tell them that everything is correct.

This year my goal is to fib again. I want to respond with "No, I've lost a pound" (or 10!:whistle: )

I plan to follow the Body for Life program with some minor adjustments. The lifting and eating portion will be followed but the cardio will be a little different. I plan on running in 4-5 races of a 10 race circuit that varies in distance from 5k to 20 miles. (I don't plan on doing the 20 miler!!:nono: )

My starting weight will be this mornings weight of 246lbs. I still have some clothes from when I was just over 200 lbs. The ultimate goal is to get into those.

I don't plan on logging every lift and every meal in this journal-but I do plan on trying to be more detailed oriented so that you all can help me along the way.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome and good luck in reaching your goals.

3. bmacntmac

Thanks Seltzer

I ate clean all day yesterday with no cheating. Tami has lately been modifying the family's meals to be healthier. However with 4 kids under 10 years old we still have plenty of mac n cheese, french fries,etc. NONE FOR ME!!!

I've learned the last couple of weeks the importance of water in fat loss. It's either feast or famine during my day. Either I get in 120-150 ounces a day or I get to 7pm and realize the only water I've had all day is what was in my morning coffee. Today I'm already starting on my second 20 ounce bottle.:tucool:

I got in a great upper body workout in last night. I woke up this morning still feeling it (especially in my shoulders.) Today is a 2.5 mile run. I was hoping to do it this morning but I couldn't drag myself out of bed early enough.:mad: The last of my water yesterday came at 9:30 so I was up a couple of times through the night which is not typical with me.

I really needed to run this morning because Tami has some kind of class tonight. Wasn't thinking :doh: I do like running in my neighborhood at night. Most peaceful part of my day.

Well-better get to work...

4. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

What's the time frame for your goal? It wasn't clear from your message. . .

Good luck - nice job recruiting the family. Huge allies there.

5. bmacntmac

BD-
    Thanks for stopping in! My license expires on August 23. That gives me just under 150 days. Less than 2lbs a week.

Tami's class doesn't start until 7pm so I will not be running until after 10pm unless I leave work early. Came in at 6am so I guess I'm going to go do it now.

6. bmacntmac

Ran 3 miles in 30:00 yesterday afternoon. Slower than I want but if I want to do a 10K on April 22nd I need to get the miles in.

Today:
    5:30 = 4 egg omelette (one yolk)
    8:30 = 3/4 cup oatmeal
    11:30 = chicken breast on wheat and small salad
    2:30 = mixed veggies
    5:30 = lasagna dinner at church (supporting youth group)
    8:30 = ????

Legs tonight. I've never been into lifting legs. Is it a waste of time to go light with my legs to save them for my runs? I understand the importance of them for fat loss but I feel that my focus needs to be on the running. Any advice?

Already had 20 ounces of water at 6:30 am. Working on 2nd bottle.:claplow:

Better get to work. Weather is looking better.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Seems like you have a very nice plan in place and goals that are attainable if you stay the course. You're fortunate that Tami is supportive and is willing to modify meals and the whole family will benefit from the heatlhier eating. A big thumbs up :tucool: for Tami because there are many spouses who would not be willing to change.

Having a lot of food that appeals to the under 10 set around the house can be a challenge, but I think you'll find that once you have been eating clean for a while those cheese fries won't taste too good anymore and will become a non issue.

8. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

Yep. Work your legs heavy. Muscle burns fat. Adding a few pounds of muscle to your legs will take a lot of pounds off over time. It will slow you down initially, given that you will be dealing with tired legs (duh), but it makes all the difference in the world to get them really strong - even for something that doesn't feel very strength dependent like running.

Make very sure that you work your butt with squats, lunges, etc. Your butt is a really big group of muscles. Build them by working them hard. It makes a world of difference.

9. bmacntmac

Damn you BigDog!!!;)

I knew the answer to my question when I asked it. That's the great thing about these forums. We can rationalize things to ourselves and make our minds believe them-but others will never allow us to get away with it. Thanks for the brutal (soon to be painful) truth.:tu:

As I said I have never really gotten excited about legs. I have done some work with squats-but very little. Enough to know that if I do them properly I shouldn't want to go out and run the next day. Please advise what I should be doing other than squats, lunges, etc. Should core exercises be done with legs, with upper body, with cardio, by themselves, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mid morning meal was sabotaged by a 3 hour meeting. My fault though. I could have eaten before I went in. 1/2 hour early is probably better than 2 hrs. late.:doh:

10. bmacntmac

Did legs last night. Definitely feel like I worked them. Did 5 sets of squats, 2 sets of extensions, 3 sets of lunges, 2 sets of curls, 2 sets of calf raises.

Used VERY light weights on squats and made sure that I got by butt as close to the ground as I could. Lunges felt very awkward. I've never done them before. As I was doing them they felt like I was working front of legs-but I definitely felt it in my hamstrings this morning.

I plan on continuing to work them hard and just sucking it up on the running. My competitive juices want me to concentrate on the running so I can do well in the races this summer but I know that the goal is fat loss.

More later...Busy day ahead

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm in a very similar situation to you. I truly enjoy running/jogging and went light on my leg workouts because my legs would feel tired when I ran. During my downtime with my shoulder injury I've had to time to re-evaluate my entire approach and I'm going to shake things up and see how I respond, with one of the changes being additional leg work.

Good luck in your races.

12. bmacntmac

Seltzer-
    ANY legwork is changing up my routine!!:lol:

I need to get to sleep earlier. I want to get to bed by 10 pm and I haven't done that all week. I could feel myself getting wore down little by little as the week has gone on and this morning I did not get up until 6. Alarm goes off at 5.

Ran 3 miles last night. I was a little concerned since I began doing legs on Wed. The first mile was rough but once I found my stride I felt like I could go on forever. I really enjoy the peacefullness of running. It really clears my head.

Upper body workout tonight. My oldest son and I have baseball practice before. With the weather being bad lately this will be our first time outside. Hope I don't pull anything hitting infield practice!!

I'm anxious to get on the scale this weekend. I have been pretty clean all week. Need to stay disciplined these last couple of days. I'm not expecting anything great. 2lbs per week is all I need to reach my goal in August.

13. bmacntmac

I got on the scales this morning and I'm still at 246.:mad:
    I shouldn't be suprised because of the day i had Saturday. I helped some friends move Sat. and when we got done there was a big meal with lots of cookies, cake, etc. Later that night Tami and I got a sitter and went to Chipotle for dinner and then dessert at a function at our church. Terrible eating all day!!!

I had a good upper body workout Friday night. Ran 4 miles on Sunday. Second worst run of my life. I'm sure it had to do with all the junk I put in my body Saturday. Oh well-not every run is going to be Nirvana.

It's a new week-we bring most of our men back later this week to start a new paving season- I'm going to lose some lbs. by Saturday!!! Legs later tonight. I'm even excited about that.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Look at the bright side, at least you didn't gain any weight.

As for the running, just stick with it. Sometimes our bodies just can't get untracked even if we've been eating clean. The same thing happened to me over the past couple of days.

On Friday I had a lousy outing, but Saturday I went out and had a really good one. Go figure. BTW, I like what you said about running clearing your mind; I find the same thing to be true for me. When I'm not struggling I actually do some good thinking while I'm putting in the miles.

15. bmacntmac

Had another good leg workout last night. I'm sticking with very light weight and doing more reps and more sets until I get used to the movements. I'm liking the squats!! Lunges still feel awkward-but I'm going to continue with them.

Eating was clean yesterday. As work picks up I think this will become more challenging. During the winter it is easy-I'm in the office all day. I just bring my snacks and lunch and put them in the fridge. Now that things are becoming more hectic and I'm in and out I have the potential of leaving the office for 5 hours and forgetting the food. Just need more discipline!

3 miles tonight. Looking forward to it. I might go to the gym and get on the treadmill. I haven't done that in awhile.

Last night I slipped on some old clothes just to check progress. I still would not wear them but I did get them buttoned! My belt is also on hole number 3. When I got the belt a couple of years ago I could not wear it. Slowly progressed to being able to wear it....then hole number 2 for about a year. Now three!!!! :flex:

Have a great day!!

16. bmacntmac

I couldn't go to the gym last night. Baseball till 8 and Tami had the last of her first aid classes and did not get home until almost 10. I did go to the basement and get in 30 min on the eliptical machine. i usually don't feel like I get in as good as a workout as running but last night I went harder and got in a good workout.

Food was clean yesterday. The only problem was I left the office at 9 and did not eat lunch until 2:30. I was also way down on my water. I'll do better today. Upper body tonight!!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sometimes life just gets in the way. You adapted and then had a good workout so consider it a job well done.

18. bmacntmac

I got up late today. I need to be in bed by 10pm. Seven hours is my ideal amount of sleep. I can get by on 5-6 hours but I feel a little sluggish. If I get more than 8 I also don't feel right. It's not like I'm doing anything important when I stay up too late. "Deal or No Deal" got me 2 nights ago. I didn't even see what the guy won. It's just hard on nights that I have to work out after the kids are in bed (which is most nights). I like to have some time to unwind to myself and it just always seems to be after 10:30 or 11:00.

Upper body workout went well last night. I switched up my workout a little bit to try and confuse my muscles. I felt pretty drained at the end.

I need to get a good run in tonight after baseball practice. My 10k is coming up in a few weeks and I'm not feeling real confident. Better get to work-my "in" pile is starting to tower over my "out" pile.

19. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

Congratulations on beginning your fitness journey! It get easier and more routine as you go along.

I know you've realized this already, but do keep up the heavy leg work. I'm primarily a runner, and I didn't think it was necessary to go heavy on legs until I started doing it, and it makes a real difference in my runs. The day after is always a little bit painful, but for long-distance running, having that extra muscle to work with really helps a lot.

Good luck! :gl:

20. bmacntmac

xingcat-
    Thanks for stopping in!! I know I haven't been real specific on my workouts on here but feel free to offer any suggestions that you might have. My main goal right now is fat loss and the races are to keep me committed to the running. I hope to get to a point where I can run more than 3 days a week but right now that's about all my legs (shins) can take.