1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

bmac 2013

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by bmacntmac, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

We miss you around here, bmac.

2. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Having some issues with McKenna. Without going into great details, we sent her in for some blood work and her thyroid is way out of wack. Normal numbers for her should be .4 - 4.5. Hers is 94. Yes, all the decimals are correct. Four point five is the upper level of normal. Hers was ninety four. She is going in to have test done again. Dr. says she has never seen numbers so wacked, but if that is problem it is very treatable.

Come to find out this is hereditary and it is very common on both sides of the family. Very common! Therefore, the doctor recommended that our whole family be tested. Ironically, I just told Tami about a month ago that I wondered if my thyroid was screwed up. It would explain a lot. Weight gain, fatigue, moodiness, depression. And all of that is me, not McKenna. Well, McKenna too.

I will keep you posted. Sounds funny, but I kind of hope that I find out that my thyroid is messed up too. Would clear up a lot of confusion I've had for a long time about my own health, physique, etc.

BTW, I miss all of you guys too. I'll get back here on a regular basis. Promise.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wishing you and McK well.

4. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That sounds like some serious stuff to sort out. Good luck!

5. bmacntmac

Went to the endocrinologist yesterday with McKenna. He took blood again and is going to do some more in depth testing of her thyroid. He did say that just looking at her and talking with her that he thinks her thyroid is out of wack. He prescribed some medicine for her to start her off. She is to be retested in a month and get back with the doctor in 3 months. At some point during that time period he will tweak the dosage on the medicine. It may take up to 6 months to get the dosage where it needs to be. We pick up the orders for labs for the rest of the kids to be tested this afternoon. Tam is checking to see if the pediatrition can order my test too.

Nothing new for me. Knee still giving me issues. Still haven't gotten back to working out.

We will be without baseball for the first time in over 10 years! Marek has decided he does not want to play. Our soccer league has moved to the spring instead of the fall and he would rather do that. It would have overlapped baseball by a few weeks, and we really didn't want to do that. We would have, but......can't say I'm disappointed. Don't really enjoy youth baseball too much.

Mac has joined a new AAU basketball team. They look to be pretty decent. All local tournaments. No more than about 45 minute travel for any of them.

6. bmacntmac

If you felt the earth shake yesterday, don't worry, it was just me. Actually got moving a little. Did 20 minutes of intervals on the bike. Then did some pushups. Nothing big, but something, which is more than has been done over the last too many months to count.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's a start. :tucool:

8. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

earth quakes start with a ripple.

9. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    milk shakes start with a nipple.

10. bmacntmac

The master speaks. Words to live by right there!

Continued sickness in the bmac household. Maren has been out of school all week. Just found out she has mono and her spleen is enlarged. Soccer was supposed to start Monday, now she's out for 4-6 weeks.

We also got the lab work back from the thyroid tests. Mac and Maren were good. Marek's level was 5.4, which is slightly high. But enough that he needs to go to the endocronologist.

As for me, I'm down a few pounds this week. Mostly from just cutting back a little on the eating. I'll take it. Maybe this next week I'll get 2 workouts in.

11. bmacntmac

I went to the dr. and had some bloodwork done last week, so I've held off posting until I got the results.

Blood pressure was a little high.
    Colest. was ok (total was 196)
    Glucose was a tad high at 110 (should be below 100)
    And the big one that I was waiting on:
    thyroid was at 30.75 (normal is .55 - 4.5)

They have already sent in a prescription which I will start today. Hopefully this means that my metabolism is screwed up and will be working again in a few weeks. I have an ultrasound on my thyroid later today. Hopefully that turns out ok.

My knee seems to be back to 100% so maybe today is Day 1 of getting back to a healthy weight. It was 286 this morning, which is an all time high.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice to read that your knee is feeling better and that you found the answers to the questions you were having about your metabolism. From what you wrote, it fortunately seems easily treatable.

13. bmacntmac

Day 2 sees me at 284.6 lbs. Lots of water and 100% clean eating yesterday.

My ultrasound was yesterday afternoon and I should get the results by this afternoon. Hopefully nothing abnormal. I started my thyroid medication yesterday. Funny, McKenna and I are on the exact same meds, exact same dose. They say it takes a couple of months to get it tweaked to the right dosage, but come on......42 year old male that weighs 286 pounds and a 15 year old girl that weighs maybe 130. Her number was 3x worse than mine.....

We shall see. For now I am excited to know that the thyroid could be the reason for my years of frustration over not being able to shed the weight I've wanted to get rid of. If I end up losing 40-50 pounds after getting the thyroid right, I will scream from the mountain tops to those that are always saying how easy it should be for people to be at an ideal weight. I've always held some anger in about people that preach about it just being calories in and exercising. Some people have issues that they do not know about. Others have a holier than thou attitude like they work so much harder than others. That may be the case for some. But you will never convince me that it is always like that. There are always exceptions.

But at the end of the day it is still up to me to do my part. Once the thyroid is correct, I will need to eat right, drink the water, and do the workouts.

14. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I get the feeling that the majority of personal trainers have likely been not far from their current physique their whole lives, from an amount of fat perspective, not muscle development of course. I don't know this, but it seems likely that most are ecto or mesomorphs. Little fat kids, like I was, don't really aspire to be in the fitness industry.

That doesn't mean they can't be amazing trainers, but they would not know what it is like to gain and lose and gain and lose 50 pounds. The worst case scenario are athletes in high school or college, who have great physiques regardless of how much crap they eat or beer they drink. Who go on later to put on a little weight because their metabolism slows a bit, they introduce the most meager portion control and become more regular with exercise, lose the weight and deem themselves experts in weight loss and pass judgement on everyone around them who is heavier for having no discipline and being lazy.

Man, I did not mean to sound so bitter there, not sure where that came from.

15. bmacntmac

I hear ya GH.

Got my results from the thyroid ultrasound. I have an enlarged thyroid, but no nodules. They tell me that is good news.

Day 3 and I am down a little more. 282.8 lbs. My attitude and outlook is a lot better now that I know that my body has been working against me and I am now on track to getting it straightened out. I'm excited for the next 6-12 months. Not sure I'll be reporting on any more marathons, but having the weight down in the low 200's would sure be great.

16. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Set a variety of goals that will keep you moving in the right direction.

Start with something short term....like end-of-April goal weight....like 272? And go 10 straight days without a cheat meal or a screw up...

Then set some fitness goals....maybe a 4th of July 5K?

Then set some tough goals to be done by years end....like sub-230 bodyweight....and 1.5 BW squat...or a 50-mile bike ride...

I have always believed in setting tangible goals....:nod:
    I have always felt that if I am not heading toward a defined goal....I wander aimlessly around and go nowhere.
    You can do it brother!

17. bmacntmac

Hey Michael! All those things are swimming around in my head. You are right. I need to get them in print.

Day 4 and nothing to report. Didn't get on the scale for some reason but I wanted to at least get on here and post to continue the habit. This place is good for my health.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I sometimes do the same thing for the same reason.

19. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

This! I've gotten that same vibe from personal trainers. But I've never quite put it together like this.

And this place is better for having you around. :nod:

20. bmacntmac

Thanks E. Means alot coming from you.

Day 5 and I'm at 284 lbs. Up a little but we had tacos last night and those things are packed with sodium.

I spent about an hour last night putting the lifting cage and bench back together. (Actually spent about 20 minutes putting together after spending about 40 minutes looking for the bolts)

I will finish it up this weekend and the workouts will start back up on Monday!

Goal #1 will be 270 lbs. Looking to get it done by the last day of April.

Not sure I mentioned it in here but we moved back in December. We only moved about 3 miles, but we are now in the school district where the older 2 actually go to school. (They had been open enrollment kids last year.) One of the main reasons we moved was to have more room. We now have a pool, an acre and a half, and a huge turnaround in the driveway. We've always wanted to have the place where the kids hang out so we knew (for the most part) what our kids were doing and who they were doing it with. We finally got up a Goalrilla basketball hoop the other day. After school we had about 7-8 boys at our house playing ball. I wasn't there to see it, but Tam said that it was good to see them there. It never would have happened at the old house. Now we just need to have some more nice weather so we can get the pool opened up!