1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue's Stream of Consciousness 2...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Bluestreak, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

One of my favourite sayings: "Shit happens"

I think, pretty much, life can often be summerised with that phrase. Thats life. Stuff happens, be it bad or good. It happens. Only thing you can do is deal with shit and press on.

I wish you luck my friend. :tu:

And i will never, ever touch your car. :eek: ..............;)

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I don't go ballistic when friends get too close to the cars. I know they mean no harm. It's when I look out the window to find some total stranger craning himself over my $4000 paint job that I get a little miffed. Okay, a lot miffed. I just can't get why someone would physically reach out and touch someone else's property - especially a well-kept automobile where you know someone who cares about it is going to be nearby. I still want to crush his toes with a ball peen hammer. Dumb ass.

:lol: You took the words right out of my mouth. I figure I can at least lay there, weep in pain and play ukulele.

All will be well. I won't dwell on this. The only way out of this is... through. I have until Tuesday to train, and then I have to rest for a while. I'll catch up on my sleep. Bright side 'n all, you know?

Anger is a great thing to bring to the gym. I remember waking up this morning and thinking, "What's the point of getting up? You're going to lose at least a couple of weeks of training." And then I got mad. What's the point? Why get up? Because I always get up. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on - I don't give up. Ever. Not until they scatter my ashes to the wind.

Leg day is easy when you're good and pissed off. With "...And Justice For All" blaring in my iPod, I added ninety more pounds than usual to my legs today with no knee brace and pushed it like it wasn't even there. I added another 45 for four more sets. That's the most I've ever lifted on the leg press. Ever, like, for this lifetime. I added 135-lbs. to my leg press today, and I bet you I could have added more. Hopefully on the other side of Tuesday's ordeal, all this strength will be there waiting for me when I can train again.

I now have to go tell the people upstairs they're losing me for at least a week. Deep breaths. Relax. Off to face another day.

-R

3. Wamsutta

Wamsutta Well-Known Member

I think I'll do legs to AJFA tonight in your honor. Good call on the music choice, sir.

You'll pull through. You've pulled through in the past, I can tell that from having read your journal. It might suck, but it'll happen, and then it'll be over.

Glad to see you're not letting this knock you out of your rails on training. That's something to aspire to emulate. I'm extra glad I did cardio this morning, because I came close to hitting snooze.

- Matt, pulling for you.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope all goes well with your surgery and rehab. Your a dedicated and focused person and I'm confident that these traits will get you back to full strength as fast as possible.

5. Bluestreak

Yesterday's leg workout was great, but for as hard as I pushed, I have very little DOMS - shockingly little. And I'm really tired this morning for some reason. I ended up working late last night, so I didn't get to the gym for cardio last evening. The doctor's office scheduled my pre-admission appointment at the hospital for 6:45am this morning, so that hosed my shoulder/bicep workout for today. :mad: I may do cardio tonight, but that's all.

We're going out to the property to do some more work on the campsite tomorrow morning, so I'll be up and out early - I won't have time to workout. Maybe Sunday morning. I always get a good full-body workout at the campsite, pushing, pulling, climbing, cutting - whatever... the cool part is I never find myself limited. All this fitness I've worked to achieve is functional. Well, mostly functional. If only I were a little bit larger a dude... you should have been there when we were sinking the well. Physically, I didn't weigh enough to drive the well point! I was dangling from the pipe casing with all my weight bearing down on it and with the water jet, it wasn't enough to do the job. A friend of ours (who's nickname is "Big Heavy", he's 5'10" and tips the scale at 350-lbs.) grabbed the casing, pulled down on it and it moved like into the ground like a hot knife through butter. I just wasn't built for certain things.

As of today, I have been ordered off all supplements, vitamins and prescriptions in preparation for next week's... ordeal. I've been taking them religiously for the past six weeks, so now we'll see if they're worth a damn. No more glucosamine, diarginine maleate, creatine, glutamine, not even BCAAs. I am to take nothing. The only thing I'm allowed to take between now and Tuesday is Tylenol, and since I never use Tylenol, I'll be without supplementation of any kind for the next couple of weeks or so.

The boss took the news well. His words? "You've got to do what you've got to do." I'm telling you, if I didn't work for a good man, I'd have been out of here a long time ago. When I went through this ordeal at a previous company 2.5 years ago, they shit a twinkie complete with wrapper due to the short notice and undefined return date. In fact, this surgery marked the beginning of the end at that firm; less than two months later, I told my boss to go fuck himself (yup, said that verbatim!), packed my office and walked out bright and early on Martin Luther King day in 2004. Yesterday, I went upstairs to tell the Prez I was going to be gone after Monday and he just nodded and told me to make sure someone calls to let them know I got through okay. Really, I work with many good people. I also work with many people who couldn't find their assholes with a funnel and a flashlight, but that's a discussion for another time. At least this time, I go off to get cut on knowing that my job is not upset with the fact that I have to be away. They may drive me crazy around here, but they're not unreasonable.

Lots of stress around the office this morning. The Project From Hell is once again in my hands and is going for submittal this morning to the City. That gives me a month or so away from it; at least the project will be inactive when I'm gone. That means no one can "step in" while I'm gone. If someone else steps in, it'll be one of the incompetent bastards on Shecky's team. I thought I'd washed my hands of it when Shecky's group took over it from my team - since they're useless, of course it ended up in my team's lap again. And it was completely fucked, so we've spent the last week repairing the damage they did.

Lots of little things to wrap up before my forced hiatus begins on Tuesday.

-R

6. Bluestreak

Last full entry until after surgery - not sure when I'll physically be able to prop myself up in front of the computer again.

If I hear one more person bitch about the time change, I may become violent. Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick, it's only ONE frigging hour of sleep lost over a Saturday night. :rolleyes: Go to bed an hour early. Problem solved. Get over it. Get your asses out in the evening and enjoy that extra hour of light. The wife said this morning when the 5am alarm rang... "... it feels like it's 4am." How the fuck do you know what "4am feels like" if you're not usually conscious during it? I dunno about you, but 4am looks just like 5am to me. It's dark and I'd rather be asleep - that's what both 4am and 5am look like to me. But I got up. Quit your whining and get your lazy asses out of bed. Now I hear the parents in this office bitching in the hallway. "It's dark early now and my kid has to stand in the dark at the bus stop." Here's a parenting tip: stay with your kid(s) at the bus stop. Yeah, heaven forbid you act like a parent who gives a shit. People are so lazy... and worse, they whine. It's infuriating.

We didn't make it to the campsite this weekend. I received a call from Jeff early Saturday morning calling his house a "quarantine zone". His daughter brought home the flu from daycare, and he, his wife and his son spent Friday night into Saturday morning violently emptying the contents of their stomachs. I was looking forward to riding my ATV one last time before tomorrow and riding out to the south berm again. I'd have liked to have that view fresh in my brain again, but I guess it'll have to wait a few weekends.

Chest/triceps today. It's a shame this morning was the last workout I'll have for at least a few weeks. I was able to bench as much as I was pre-impingement today. I just went to the heavy end of the rack with two words in my head: "Fuck it." What can happen? What do I have to lose? I figure the shoulder will have a few weeks to rest, so why not push my luck? And I pushed more weight than I have in almost two years. I'll have considerably less time before July 1 to achieve those low body fat levels I'd like to before heading off to Jamaica for the yearly vacation. I know how quickly this body loses ground when not stimulated; that's what worries me. I've spent 6+ weeks carefully building this momentum. Now I have to take a few weeks away. Two steps forward, one step back... or rather, six weeks forward, three weeks back. I was staring at the gym sign as I pulled away this morning and thinking... next time I come back here, I'll be weaker. I'll have lost some of what I fight so hard to gain. It's so damned discouraging.

And so completely frustrating to know that in 36 hours, I'll barely be able to get off a couch. I'll be so stoned on some major pain killer that the popcorn on the ceiling will provide hours of endless entertainment. I suppose there are many people in this world with greater problems than I, but that thought comforts minimally and does not diminish what I know is to come. Once again, I say... that which does not kill me... will probably just hurt like hell.

As if I don't have enough on my mind. My next door neighbor's brother-in-law was by my house last night. He's over there all the time. Nice guy. He keeps bugging me to sell my Pontiac Grandville convertible to him. Last night as I was hosing off the Mustang, of course, he had to ask... "When you gonna sell that car to me?" I said back: "Come up with $5K cash and you have a good chance of talking me into it." I couldn't believe I said it. I love that car, but it's just sitting there and it'll be at least a year or two before we could financially complete its restoration. Or I could cash out of the Grandville and in the process, make room in the garage for the Mustang. The Trans Am could be scooted over to the far side where the Grandville has sat mostly dorment for 5+ years, and the Mustang could sleep inside my climate-controlled garage.

But if I sell this car, it's gone. I'd never find another. My father bought this car in 1992 for a steal. Here's where the sentimentality comes into play. Realize, I never got along with my dad. We were oil and water from the minute I had the first inkling to question my parents until the day he died. Cars were the only thing we ever had in common and he gave this car to me in 1997.

If I sell it, it's definitely not the last classic car I'll own, that much I know. Someday I'll have a brightly colored late 60's/early 70's muscle car of some kind to play with. You know me - I'll find something bigger, better, brighter and faster to enjoy. Or I could keep what I have now and finish the job in a few years. I know if Miguel shows up with $5K, I might just let her go. Not sure. I know he plans to fix it up, so I know it'd go to a good home. What to do? I don't know.

Today is the last day in the office until next week. I will likely return to work, at least in a limited capacity, next Monday. I don't think I could lay around any longer than that and truth be told, as excruciating as this was to survive last go-round, I was functional five or six days later. I know I should be reasonably mobile by Friday or Saturday of this week; by the time I have laid around through next weekend, I'll be going crazy to get back to my routine.

Wish me luck.

-R

7. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Some of us have very sensitive internal clocks, and it takes a long time to adjust.

With all the constant bitching YOU do, you're probably the last person who should be complaining when someone else has a gripe.

8. michael2938

michael2938 Well-Known Member

:eek: :lol: Of course, most of us "normal" people use external clocks. :D

I just wanted to add my gripe, but for a different reason. I live in Indiana so I've never had to change my clock before until now. I used to enjoy waking up for work in the summer when it was light outside. That probably won't happen anymore.

BTW, good luck with the surgery!

-Mike

9. Wamsutta

Roger, good luck. You'll pull through. You're right, it'll probably hurt. But it'll make you stronger.

You'll lose strength in the gym, that's a given. It's also necessary at this point, apparently. But it'll come back. That's why we have muscle memory - by now, you must know that as well as anyone else here.

I look forward to your triumphant return to the internet, and shortly thereafter, the gym.

- Matt, who will be in Orlando in t-minus 23 days.

10. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

I get up at 5am everyday also. Anything before 5:30 is all the same.

Good luck with the shoulder this week.:gl:

-bmac

11. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

THANK YOU!

it usually takes me between 2 and 5 days to fully adjust to the time change in the spring... the fall is different, since it feels like I'm getting up late and not early... this morning SUCKED but I DID get up ;)

12. Bluestreak

See you on the other side.

-R

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope everything goes will with your surgery.

14. Wamsutta

That you will. Rest up, buddy.

15. Bluestreak

home, safe and it's over with.

completely hammered on whatever it is they gave me.

going to collapse now.

-R

16. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Glad you're okay my friend! Rest well and enjoy some time off in front of the tv!!

17. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

A week-long movie marathon is a definite silver lining to all this. Kick back, guilt-free, with a big bowl of ice-cream and and stack of DVDs.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!:tucool:

18. oohchild

oohchild Well-Known Member

Just like to say.. get well soon. :) It sucks to take a break from the exercise routine, just take it as a season for rest. Rest well..

19. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Good luck with your recovery. I don't know what procedure you had but it sounds painful.

Hopefully you can still crank out some arpeggiations on the six string.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Gald you're back home. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.