1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-Ray Movie Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Monkey0ne, May 28, 2008.

1. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Oops, I was wrong on the series order. G series are actually above S.

It goes S->G->V->Z in quality/price with Z being the top of the line. So I'd look at S or V. The Z's are the super thin, wireless HDMI connection, and probably pretty expensive line.

I'm probably going to get a 54" V late in the year.

Link

Review of the G series

#61 MannishBoy, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. needachange

needachange Active Member

Yeah I quickly figured out that the S was below in quality to the G. Thanks for the info though I appreciate it.

The V is hard to find info on.....and the Z1 well damn!!! 6K price tag supposedly :eek::eek:

That is stupid expensive for a tv. I would never spend that much :nope:

3. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

The V is a later release than the G & S. So the info will lag. I think they are still a month or so out from release.

Huge AVS Forum thread

4. needachange

I went to BB twice this weekend and looked at tv's. I spent like over two hours each time milling over 3 different models.

I ended up not liking the Panny G10 50''. The tv was very "dark", looking at it I felt like I had sun glasses on. I asked if I could see the remote to mess around with it and it was still the same. It just had no "pop" at all. Very dull and boring looking.

The other two tv's I was looking at was the Samsung B750 46'' and of course the Pioneer Elite 50''.

I could get the Samsung for $1899 (retail $2399) or the Pioneer for $2499 (retail $4999).

I liked the Samsung, being an LCD it was bright and the blacks were really good. The one they had actually was calibrated so it looked how it should've. The tv wasn't on torch mode, I hate that look.

The Pioneer was the tv I just could not get away from. I stood in front of it forever. Plus the price was eating away at me :lol:

I can't find the Pioneer anywhere for cheaper than what they were offering. The tv retails for $4999 and online the cheapest I could find was $3099 and that didn't include shipping. I was standing there with my blackberry looking online trying to beat their price so they would have to match it. But after searching and searching I found nothing cheaper.

I know going forward as the Elites start dwindling away the prices are going to sky rocket again. The saleman said he's seen them up as much as $5999 and that's where they'll be headed soon.

$2499 is still expensive. But with 36 months 0% interest and being able to get that price (vs. $4999) it's very tempting.

ho hum decisions decisions :confused: :bang::bang: :lol:

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

In my experience in stores, that's because everything around it is turned up to torch mode and the environmental lighting is horrible. I'd recommend finding a high end AV shop to actually compare things. Box stores are horrible places to pick out a TV. Stuff I've loved at a high end shop looks bad...

One knock on this years Panny line up is that the models with THX mode are limited in brightness when in that mode... Also, to meet energy standards they now ship defaulted to a very low brightness mode. Read the Cnet review for more on some of this...

If you put it in one of the other modes, they are nearly as bright as an LCD. If you are at home at night that's probably fine, but I suspect daytime viewing may need to use one of the other modes.

6. needachange

I've been reading a lot about the G10 this morning. A lot of people seem to be happy with them. You are right about the THX mode. Seems that's what most owners complain about, the tv being to "dim" in that mode. With some adjustments it's an easy fix.

The Panny is about 1K difference in savings from the Elite.

Looks like it's back to BB for another look at that tv.........

7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I bought mine from Amazon after looking at them in local stores and couldn't be happier. I tried several times to get a reasonable deal at BB, and while they'd negotiate a bit, I never got close to Amazon when considering tax (and that Amazon has free shipping).

Plus, I bought it through the JSF partner deal so that it would benefit the site a bit.

But in the end, buy what makes you happy. I don't think you could go wrong with any of your three options.

I suspect I'll get a 54" V series this fall once the price settles a bit.

8. needachange

Does Amazon not have tax on the tv when you buy it?

I can easily price match at BB. But then I would still need to pay tax.

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

They generally won't match online stores. Unless they are really, really wanting to move stock. The best I got them to do matching Amazon was to match the pre-tax price to a floor model.

If Amazon isn't operating directly in your state, it is generally untaxed. That generally bites TN for a lot of sites I buy from like newegg or buy.com because many online sites distribute part of the country from warehouses in Memphis due to the shipping hub there (FedEx is there for instance), but luckily Amazon for me is still non-taxed.

On a TV, tax is obviously a significant part of the equation. And the delivery service was top notch, with the guy even offering to help me mount the TV on my stand's built in bracket which is exactly like a wall mount...(although I couldn't find the right bolts out of the kit and had to do it myself later).

10. needachange

Well I appreciate all the info.

I ended up going with the Pioneer Elite 50''.

I couldn't pass up the offer. I got it brand new in the box for $1999.95 OTD :D I guess being persistent with the salesman and having gone back so many times he gave me a killer deal.

I brought it home and pulled it out of the box already. It looks great.....to bad I can't lift it up on my TV stand myself :doh: :lol: My buddy had to take off as soon as we got it here so I couldn't set it up.

11. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Cool. Congrats!

12. GuitarNWeights

GuitarNWeights Active Member

After watching Wolverine in the theater I rented the first X-Men movie which was recently released on Blu-Ray. The video and audio quality is top notch, definitely worth a watch.

13. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Review of the Logitech PS3 IR converter

As somebody says in the comments over there, it's a $60 fix for the lack of a $1 part. :(

14. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

One guy mentioned he bought a $10 dongle that works with his Harmony One controller. I think this is it:

[​IMG]

So now its a $10 fix for the lack of a $1 part. :D

15. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

:nope: We had this discussion. Those dongles don't control power functions or some of the other remote functions. They only simulate a wired controller through the USB port.

This was just a stupid design decision for a box they designed as an obviously media centric device. :mad:

16. needachange

I did some searching around the net for best visual BD movies and came across a thread on the AVS Forums. The movies are all listed by overall quality in colored brackets from best to worst.

I checked out Ratatouille (it was among the top listed) and WOW :eek: that movie looked absolutely amazing! Probably one of the best visual displays I've seen. I would never even normally watch that movie or really any Pixar/Disney flick, not really my style. But I'm going to start watching them now lol.

I deffinetely want to check out some of the other top reccomended. A lot of them I could care less about the actual movie but if they are as visually stunning as Ratatouille was I don't care.

Tonight I'm going to watch Chronicles Of Narnia Prince Caspian.

17. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Visually, Prince Caspian is a jaw dropping BD release.

18. Monkey0ne

:doh: Forgot about that... Sorry, my bad. :bang:

In other news: :D
    I picked up Superman Returns yesterday on BluRay. Hoping to break it out of the plastic this weekend. :spaz:

19. needachange

I picked up the new release of A Bug's Life on BluRay yesterday. It was given great reviews on PQ.

I was blown away it looked amazing. The details were crazy.

20. Monkey0ne

Plasma VS LCD/LED

There has been plenty of debate. Is PLASMA really dead?

Panasonic Demos Inch-Thin Plasma TV: Crowd Swoons
    By Charlie Sorrel January 7, 2009

[​IMG]

As you can see from our own Jon Snyder’s super snaps (more below), Panasonic’s new Z1 Viera is quite the supermodel, and just as deep. The plasma TV, announced today at CES 2009, is just 1 inch thin and can sit happily on either wall or stand.

Because it’s so skinny, you don’t want a rat’s nest of cables cluttering things up. Panasonic fixes this by using wireless HD streaming — the set top box hooks up to the cables and then you hide the thing at the back of the room, from where it beams a (presumably proprietary) HD signal to the TV set.

[​IMG]

The Viera also gets Vieracast, a fancy name for a walled garden of
    Internet services. Panasonic takes video from the internet, puts it on its own server and then sends it on out to the Vieras. You know, like
    AOL for TV. We suppose that it should mean you’ll get an easy, streamlined UI slipped over the ‘net, but why not put in a web browser?

Finally, there is a Viera Link, an extra layer on top of HDMI which allows compatible peripherals (Blu-ray players, perhaps) to send signals to the TV, which will then change to the correct channel.
    Again, Panasonic, you’re late to the game. My parents’ VCR has done the same thing for years.

Photos: Jon Snyder/Wired

Article