1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-Ray Movie Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Monkey0ne, May 28, 2008.

1. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Completely and easily. If you have a good television and it's properly calibrated, the difference will be substantial.

#21 chicanerous, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

Investing in a Blu-Ray player depends on how much you really like watching movies. Blu-Ray players are coming down in price though. I've seen players as low as $189 but I can't vouch for the quality. I hear not all players are created equal.

I had 300 on DVD and I also bought it on Blu-Ray so I had to make a comparison for myself. Not only is the picture more crisp but there is a definite color range difference. The black in the shadow areas on Blu-Ray are much darker and the highlights are brighter creating a greater contrast. It's like comparing a washed out photo to a vivrant photo. Some people don't mind the washed color of regular DVD but I guess it really depends on the movie.

You can find great deals on Blu-Ray movies online or on "Going Out of Business" sales. You can even find $16 Blu-Ray movies on sale. I bought Mamma Mia on Blu-Ray used at Rasputin for $9. I even seen $1 one-day Blu-Ray rentals in RedBox. You just gotta look around a bit. :tu:

3. needachange

needachange Active Member

Not so great movie but visually I Am Legend looked amazing. That was the first movie I saw on BluRay on my TV. The intro scene when he's driving the GT500 through the city I had my jaw on the floor. The way the blades of grass looked as the car raced through the torn up city :eek::eek::eek:. I was immediately sold on BluRay at that moment. I have not regreted my purchase since.

4. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I definitely can if it's a quality Blu Ray transfer, and not just a crappy up-res of the DVD transfer.

Not to mention the significant step up on audio quality if you have a good audio system.

All that said, I still haven't pulled the trigger on a Blu Ray player. I'm still trying to decide if I want to get a PS3 or a regular player. If they drop the price of the PS3 a bit, I'll go that route. If nothing happens by summer, I'll get a nice mid-range blu ray player.

5. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Good to know...

I have been waiting for price reductions as well...

And I'm with you Andy, I may get the gamebox as a sort of "freebie" in the setup...

6. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

The PS3 is still a top tier Blu Ray player, due in part to its continually updating firmware. But having an Xbox and foreseeing that remaining as my console of choice, having the PS3 isn't going to be as big of a bonus as it would be if I didn't have the Xbox.

The fact that it only allows an RF/bluetooth remote (no IR native) is a PITA that makes you have to buy something additional to be able to use a typical universal remote is annoying, though. Could be the negative deciding factor for me.

7. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. My basement "man cave" has a 58" Panasonic Plasma which is about 6 feet from the couch. Even though the Blu-Ray player will upconvert regular DVDs, you still get a much crisper picture with the Blu-Ray disk, and I find the audio quality to be better as well. My wife doesn't like the Blu-Ray player because she can see the actor's pores and blemishes. I've compared the Blu-Ray and standard version of 300, Shrek, and Batman Begins, and the picture quality is much superior with Blu-Ray disks on a Blu-Ray player. The scene in Batman begins where Rachel Daswon slaps Bruce Wayne in the car sticks out in my mind. In the Blu-Ray version you can see dust particles floating in the air between them.

I bought a Toshiba HDDVD (I wish this standard would have won), and when they discontinued HDDVD I bought a PS3 so I could play games and watch Blu-Ray movies. You need a good HDTV to get the best picture.

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I sit about 7 feet away from my 52". Yes there is a difference but let me add, most blu-ray player have an up converter capability. So a regular DVD on a blu-ray is very close. So buy a blu-ray when you can get a slickdeal then you have your choice. the sound and picture is better. A big plus is the extra features, sometimes you get another 3 hours of features, if it is good movie - it can be worth it. Lately they have added a download-able digital copy for your computer of movie.

I have a plan at local blockbuster that it doesn't cost any difference to rent and I don't have overdue charges, I don't think it is offered now. So I have full choice, with up converter.

9. Monkey0ne

One thing that I did like about HDDVD disks is that some came packaged as combo disks. You can play them in regular DVD players AND HDDVD players. I wish Blu-Ray would do that. I can't travel around and play my Blu-Ray disks on a portable player unless I get a Sony laptop with a Blu-Ray drive. :(

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Disney just started selling Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs.

11. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

recommendations:

On PQ alone: Wanted, The Dark Night, I am Robot, Planet Earth (BBC version), WALL-E, Bolt, Blade Runner as examples.
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reviews_video.html <--use this and sort by video.

If your TV is large enouigh, blue-ray is very noticeable. Sort of like the first time you put on glasses.

12. Monkey0ne

It's about time! :D
    Actually, now that I think about it, companies have been releasing Blu-Ray discs and DVDs with Digital Copy. So I guess they took it up a notch.

13. Eman7673

Eman7673 Well-Known Member

I think the best movies to watch on blu-ray are action films. Transformers, Iron Man, The Hulk, and 300 all look great on it. If its an older movie, its just not worth getting the blu-ray for. You'll get almost the same picture by putting a regular DVD in an upconverter anways.

14. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

It really depends on how much care they take with the transfer. An old movie can look just as good as a new movie if they take the time to make it so.

15. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Blu ray drives me crazy. I cna't decide whether to buy a blu ray player or a PS3. I don't need the PS3 but I keep thinking how if I buy a blu ray player and then a great game comes out uniquely for the PS3 I'll end up having 2 blu ray players. I have another HD tv but it's only a 15 inch model, and it doesn't even have an HDMI input. ARGGHHH. :mad:

16. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

I'd say get the PS3 now....it's a really good BD player. Still well regarded. $100 BD players should be more common soon but still no where near the dvd player mark. It's not uncommon for a household to have 2 DVD players. I don't think it will be a big deal if you get 2 BD players in the future. Jsut make sure the new player has something to offer that the PS3 can't do.

17. Monkey0ne

Agreed! :nod:

My brother-in-law wanted to get a BluRay player and was asking what I would recommend. I told him to get a PS3. A friend told him the same thing. He ended up getting a BluRay player from Blockbuster for $189 or something like that instead. Every once in a while he mentions to me that he shoulda got a PS3. :lol:

I have a PS3 and I update it regularly. You'll get new added features every once in a while. I wasn't able to watch the picture-in-picture option on Batman Begins for a while until I did an update on my PS3. I don't think you can do that type of thing when you buy a regular BluRay player. That and you can store music, view & store pictures, check your eMail... all that AND play games! And a BluRay remote for the PS3 is only about 20-25 bucks. The thing I don't like about the remote is the buttons don't light up. So if you're watching at night with the lights off, you fumble around for the pause button. Most of the time I end up hitting the stop button. :mad:

18. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I hate that they have no IR and you have to use some kind of clunky bridge device to use a good universal remote. I do not want another remote.

Strangely enough, this is one of the biggest things keeping me from a PS3. That and that I don't really need another game box.

If they drop the price and the Logitech IR adapter is reasonable, I might pick one up.

19. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Another thing to think about is you need an HDMI or component video input on your receiver. I don't think my receiver has an HDMI input and the optical is already taken by my XBOX 360. Just something to think about.

20. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I've got no connectivity problems as I've got enough HDMI and optical connections on my receiver. But if you've got a spare coax digital connector on the receiver for sound (going to the TV with HDMI or component video), they make TOSLINK to coax digital converters that aren't that expensive if you know where to shop. However, coax doesn't have the bandwidth of TOSLINK, and TOSLINK doesn't have enough bandwidth to pass the higher level audio codecs to the recevier anyway. So if that matters, you'd need a new receiver.

I don't think the PS3 can pass Dolby True HD or DTS-HD anyway, so it would decode in the PS3 and send it over PCM anyway. Not sure how that would matter in an optical to coax type conversion.

#40 MannishBoy, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009