1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Blisters after running

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by pmh, Aug 9, 2005.

1. pmh

pmh Well-Known Member

I did 45mins on the treadmill 2 days ago and that resulted in a large blister on my left foot, so now I have missed 2 days cardio (but have done weights every day :)).

What can I do to prevent this again, should I use talc powder in my socks or something else? Or do I just hope my feet get used to it and toughen up? Am I being a pansy, should I have just run with the blister?(although its painful to even walk :()

Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. brezman

brezman Well-Known Member

Moleskin on the part of your shoe that caused the blister.

Use a bike or elliptical until you can jog again.

3. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Your shoes are the culprit. You need to get a pair of shoes that hug your feet tightly but don't interfere with blood circulation (obviously). If your feet are shifting in the shoes, they're either worn out, not properly sized, or not the correct type of shoe for your application. A good running/walking shoe is what you need for the treadmill.

I just did my first cardio with my new pair of Reebok running shoes this morning. It is the most comfortable shoe I have ever walked in and my foot does not shift at all when walking on the treadmill. This is how a shoe should perform.

-R

4. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

i get blisters whenever something with my running changes.
    so if i get new shoes - blister.
    if i run after i took a 1 month break - blister.

after the blister, you probably won't get it again.
    i usually just ignore the blister and keep running.

but if you dont want to do that, i think you should focus on weightlifting rather than running.
    up the intensity with each rep and set, rest less.
    give it 110%.

5. pmh

pmh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info folks. My shoes are actually new Nike, I have used them for over a week with no problems. I'll wait until I am OK and then go again, maybe I never tighted the laces enough or something. Next time I feel the heat/burning I might stop and re-tie the laces and see if that does it.

I really like running and its a pain when you are forced to hang fire for a few days.

Anyway cheers for the advice.

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Whenever I put my shoes on, I take a few steps to make sure that they're seated properly on my feet and nothing is rubbing inside the shoe. The heel, toes, and arches all have to be seated well into the shoe, otherwise I push my feet into the shoe tighter, tighten the laces a little, then off I go. A good, thick athletic sock helps cushion and protect the skin on your feet, too.

I used to get blisters all the time until I got better socks and became more careful about how I put my shoes on.

-R

7. Savyart

Savyart Well-Known Member

Do you have the high tech running socks? If not, they're 100% worth it. My fave's are about $9 a pair, :spaz: but I don't care - someone would have to pry them out of my dead hands before I gave them up.

8. pmh

pmh Well-Known Member

Bluestreak and Savyart thanks for the tips. Where would I buy running socks?

The socks I had on during the offending run were a bit on the woolly side, not thick but perhaps enough to cause the problem.

Any links to these running socks would be much appreciated so I can get some. Thanks again!

9. fosse

fosse Well-Known Member

ive been there. got 3 blisters in a row once, and i also got one right on the toe lol, just brave it its only a blister. and if you love running as much as you say nothing should keep you from running, unles you break your legs lol.
    try newblance shoes there designed for your individual foot give em a try.

10. Benny

Benny Well-Known Member

dry feet

lol i had this when i first started exercising =], blister was killing me but i forced myself to exercise anyways :P it made the bottom of my feet all dry and really bad after the blister went away, dunno why but whatever, as long as i can run on them but it looks pretty nasty i suppose. :confused: Is this something i need to worry about?

Here is what is looks like (sorry my cam sucks >.<)

Left:

[​IMG]

Right:

[​IMG]

#10 Benny, Aug 10, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  11. pmh

pmh Well-Known Member

This blister was about 3" long and red raw, I could hardly run on it. Anyway its almost fine now so I'll be running tomorrow, I'll also get some of those running socks.

12. Savyart

Savyart Well-Known Member

Running socks are at pretty much any running type store - even footlocker carries some. Or online www.roadrunnersports.com or www.kellyswarehouse.com, and lots of other places. Some of them even promise against blisters or your money back - I think mine to - Wrights. My favorite brand though are these ones that were handed out at the marathon, I think they are green mountain. These things rule.