1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Blinkbear's Sweet Freakin' Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Blinkbear, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

Here I find myself again. I'm going to skip with the lengthy introduction and just say that I'm back again. I've been here before a few times...typing exactly what I am now...it's my goal to never be here in this position again. I want to be as POSITIVE about this one as I can. In my mind, this time...I can do NO wrong. Even the mistakes I make will make me better this tiem and won't be simply used as an excuse to QUIT

Quick Stats
    Weight: 285 lbs (Starting 3/2/08)
    Height: 6'
    Body Fat %: Handheld Bodyfat Analyzer gave me 31% but i dunno how accurate that thing is. Could be more, could be less but atleast it gives me an idea
    Goal: 240 by July, which may be a little ambitious but that's what goals should be :)

Right now I'm working on fasted morning cardio 6 days a week, 45 minutes on the recumbent bike each morning. and a MWF split for lifting but i might try to squeeze in another session sometime cuz I do enjoy lifting
    I'm still adjusting to the diet part of things but I feel I'm doing pretty well. ALOT better than I have in the past that's for sure. I'm workign on a 50% Protein 30% Carb and 20% Fat macro, 6 meals a day. About 2400 calories, which which is prolly a little on the low side but I haven't been hungry either. I allow myself a cheat MEAL on Sunday which is my Off day.

I started this about a week ago on Monday (Today being Saturday). Monday morning, bright and early on the bike for 45 mins. It took me a bit to find my limit after pushing myself a little too hard for the first 15 mins finding myself a little nauseous lol. But soon I found where I was comfortable at while keeping my heart rate up for the full 45. The subsequent days I did really well and am usually able to keep my HR about 150-160 the whole way.

My first week in the weight room was spent gettin a feel for the weights again and then figuring out my 1 rep max to use as a benchmark to measure my progress.

So far, after a week of adjusting and I'd say 85% adhering to my diet I'm now at 279 as of this morning. I'm sure I need a rethinking of my caloric requirements but it's slightly befuddling to me as far as the equation goes.

Anyways, that's all the info I got for ya right now :) I hope to update this every morning after my cardio workout for jsut a quick blurb. Thanks for reading guys and I'll make sure to get my starting pics up later for you weirdos who like to look at fat people ;) hehe

#1 Blinkbear, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. Blinkbear

Here are the dreaded pics. Hide the children.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Blinkbear

So updating this thing is a little more difficult than imagined. I have to have to have to remember to do this.

So a quick update of last week. I ended up missing two cardio sessions due to laziness ie. not getting out of bed D'OH! I got all my workouts in. You can check out this thread (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=41951) for my workout routine. I'll attach the pics here too.

This week is shaping up to be a good one. Being unemployed for the past couple months I finally got my job at Lowes. I start tomorrow morning! Schedule is 7:30 - 4:30 so it's perfect for doin cardio in the morning and working out at night. I jsut HAVE TO get out of bed in the morning. GRR! But I can do it :) I know it!

Scale today fluctuates between 275 and 276 so that's a 9 or 10 pound loss thus far. In two weeks that doesn't sound too bad does it? Like, not too quick for a guy my size? Normal? Any advice on that would be nice.

Oh ya, and took the handheld body fat analyzer again on friday and it gave me a 30.4%. That's down from the 31.4% it gave me from the previous week, so take that for what it's worth

#3 Blinkbear, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  4. Blinkbear

Alrighty, so I learned two things today.

1. Make my lunch for work the night before.

2. Make sure my Ipod is charge before leaving.

I got up today at 5. Was on the bike by 5:30. Finished up in 45 mins. Got home about 6:25. By the time I showered, got dressed, cooked breakfast, and got my lunch/shakes ready...it was just suddenly time to leave for work. I don't really wanna be rushed like that every morning. I want to have the time to stop in here too before I go.

Plus, got to the gym...went to turn on the pod and it was dead. So it was a boring, silent bike ride today listening to the constant pounding of the treadmills behind me. Drives me insane!

5. Blinkbear

OK...so I jsut finished up the leg workout. It went great. I was way under on alot of my lifts....either that or my muscle memory really kicked in this week.

Leg Extensions i did 187, 212, 237 for all 10, 8, and 6 reps. I'll up that weight a little bit next time.

Lying Leg Curls was 140, 150, 160 for 10, 7, and 5...so that was a good weight, I'll stay there.

Seated Calf Raises was 160, 170, 180 for 10, 8, and 6...but I found myself using my arms a little at the end. I'll stay there next time and concentrate on not using my arms as much. I wrote that down.

Decline Sit Up I dide 20, 25, 35 for 10, 8, 6...I think i'll stay at that weight for next time but drop the bench for a deeper incline.

DEADLIFTS Either i was really in the zone or I grossly miscalculated the weight. I did 245, 275, adn 295 for 10, 8, and 6. But I was feeling really good so I threw on 50 more and did 345 for 5 reps. I was excited about that. So i'll definitely be adding more weight for next time.

Another thing...I FUCKING HATE 40 YEAR OLD MEATHEADS!!!!!! I get into the weight room hoping to do my squats right on the only squat rack besides the smith machine. Nope, can't. There's the fat ass 40 yr old GIANT FLYING DOUCHE in the squat rack doin his 600 lb benches. Now normally that alone would make a person a GIANT FLYING DOUCHE to me. But this man, he would do his 600 lb rep...go play grabass with his ugly 20 yr old gf or daughter or whatever that he has with him and his other old ass meathead friends for 10 mins. Come back...do one more rep and then go play grabass again. He did this for the entire 45-50 minutes I was there. He was doing it when I left. I was sooooo fucking pissed. I still am. I just said fuck it and and left. I'll go hard on my squats on friday like I did my deads today and forgo the deads on friday. Give'em some extra rest.

ALl in all though, it was a good workout. :claphigh: Minus my new enemy :mad:

6. Blinkbear

lol...so after sitting here in my chair for a bit. i went to get up and go make supper and I promptly hit my knees haha. my legs just gave out...been a looong time since that's happened to me. good stuff :tu:

7. Blinkbear

Biking went well today. Nothing of note to report.

I've always hated cottage cheese....ALWAYS. The taste, the texture...disgusting. But because of this I haven't had it in a couple years. Last night before bed I figured I'd give it another shot. We buy FF Cottage cheese cuz my gf likes it. I scooped myself about half a cup of the stuff. Sat down and staired at it for about 5 minutes waiting for it to just go in my stomach on it's own. After I figured that wasn't working I grabbed the spoon and raised it to my mouth...I tried to eat it really fast with no chewing or anything to just get it in. Didn't work...I could still taste it. So I got this bright idea to put it in my shaker with a little chocolate whey and a quarter cup milk...shook it up and started to chug...I got about half of it down before it all came right back up into my kitchen sink. SCREW THAT @*#&!!!! Literally made me puke!! Never again!!!!

Though, I might give it a shot in the blender with some whey. That would atleast get rid of the horrible chunky feeling of the stuff sliding down my throat combined with the taste, inducing my gag reflex. Make it easier for chugging...not looking forward to it though.

8. Blinkbear

Back with a new name! Ya!

ANyways, completed upper body workout tonight. I'm super frustrated with my bench press. Junior/Senior yr of high school (4/5 years ago) I maxed out at 275. Now I'm struggling to put up 4 reps of a last set of 175....it's enough to make me wanna switch to bulking so I can get my strength up again. Kinda disheartening...I know I'll get there in time, after I cut, but it just sucks to see how far off the tree I've fallen in alot of my lifts in the years since I've hit the weight room.

On a positive note, per Edster's advice, I dropped the shrugs and shoulder presses and subsituted hang cleans/press. Boy, what a difference. I forgot how much fun it was to do those...I did them 2nd after ym bench press. 125x10, 125x8, 135x5....man was I frickin' toast for the rest of my workout. It made everything much more tough and felt really good. For good measure, at the end of my workout, I threw 115 on and did 2 quick burnout sets as fast as I could. It was pretty heavy and I only got 6 on the first one and 5 on the second but after I was done it hurt so good, lol.

Right now I'm workin on my new diet and gettin that zeroed in. I'm gonna work on a 40/40/20 macro ratio but I'm just tryin to figure out what to eat and when for the best results. I've figured it at about 240g Pro/240g carb/50ish g fat.

Preliminarily (I'm still figuring it out) what I have written down is this. What I'm really confused with is what macro split (pro/carb-pro/fat) works best and when. I still have to figure out specific measurements. Times are rough estimates. But they can pretty much be whenever cuz I'm basically free to take my breaks/lunch when I want.

5:30am Fasted AM Cardio 45 mins
    7:00am M1- (Breakfast)Eggwhites/Chicken Breast/Olive Oil/ALmond
    10:0am M2- Protein Shake (Carbs Here too?) ALmonds
    1:00pm M3-(Lunch)Chicken breast/Tuna/Veggies/Walnuts
    4:00-4:30pm M4- (PreWorkout) Protein Shake + Oats
    5:30-6:00pm M5-(Immediately Post Workout) Protein Shake + Dextrose
    8:00 pm M6- Salmon/Chicken/Veggies??? (I'm at a loss as to what to have for dinner)

PLease please please anyone feel free to chime in with some advice on this. I can really really use it. Thanks! :)

#8 Blinkbear, Mar 19, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  9. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Don't know what protein powder you are using, but I'd get rid of the dextrose and just drink a protein shake with no additional carbs postworkout.

Try something like this for the next 4 weeks:
    M1: 5 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 3/4 cup oatmeal, 1/2 grapefruit
    M2: 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli
    M3: 2-3 scoops protein powder in water
    M4: 8 oz chicken breast, 6 oz sweet potato, 2 cups salad veggies, 2 tbls olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    M5: same as M 3
    M6: 8 egg whites or 6 oz chicken, 2 cups veggies, 1/2 grapefruit

Supps - 2 fish oil caps with meals # 1,3,6

* if you need a meal replacement, my suggestion would be a protein/carb/fat protein shake consisting of the following macro's:
    PRO-50gr
    CHO-10-12gr
    Fat-7-13gr

As for what happens in the gym. Don't worry or get pissed off about what anyone else is doing. Get into your zone, get the job done, and get out.

10. Blinkbear

Wow thank you Mastover. This helps me immensely! Starting next week I'll be following this. BUt I don't have any fish oil caps...I do have flax oil caps however, would those work the same? And I'm actually jsut about out of my ON Whey but I have some Nitrean on the way that I'm going to be using.

Wish I could stay and pick ur brain some more but I'm runnin a bit behind for work. Thanks again!!!

11. Blinkbear

So yesterday's left workout went fairly well. Got to do squats and those ended up bein kinda light so I get to go up next week. nice to see I'm puttin on some muscle. I also did some deads but on my last set, after 6 reps of 250 I had to stop because i felt like i was gonna throw up.

Scale this morning says 272.9 so that's a total of about 12 pounds down so far in 3 weeks. I wanna try to make it atleast 15 by next week when i take my progress pic. Hopefully there's atleast a little bit of visual improvement :)

Gotta go to the parent's hosue tonight after work, for easter. I don't usually like goin there not becuase i don't like seeing my parents. But they do foster parenting too, and they have 4 teenage boys in the house so that means there's ample amount of junk food layin around to tempt me. It's tough to resist caving into frito-lay and little debbie...they've been known to be VERY persuasive in the past. Wish me luck!

12. Blinkbear

Ok, so I'm back. Hope everyones Easter went well.

Mine was good. I was only mildly bad. I had a couple beers and mom actually made a semi-healthy meal too since they're actually tryin to eat better. That was nice. The Doc recommended her this Diabetic Cookbook so everything in it is low-sugar and low-fat. Everythign she made was out of that book. She made this whole-wheat stuffing and these apple porkchops and this corn bake that ended up basically being like creamstyle corn. and for desert was a coconut cake made with eggbeaters and low-cal cool whip topping. It was actually really tasty. All in all I didn't feel too guilty for strayin from the diet a bit.

Monday was a rough day. I'm broke and payday isn't til friday and I ran out of a few food essentials so the diet was basically screwed yesterday plus I didn't lift (bad me!). but borrowed some money and went out this morning and picked up some more chicken breast, broccoli, etc... so I got back on track today.

Did yesterday's workout tonight and everythign went well. I'm feeling good and the lifts kinda stayed the same as last week.

It's rough now tryin to get in my cardio cuz my girlfriend has a CNA class she has to take for the next two weeks and she has to be out of her by 6am to be to class by 7am. We had been gettign up early and going to do it but that's on hold for a couple weeks :(:(:( So basically now it's alternating lifting and cardio at night every other day.

Scale reads 272.8 today. That's still a 12 pound drop from where I started and this being the beginning of the 4th week. So that's about 4 lbs a week. A decent clip if I do say so. Like for it to be a bit more but I don't wanna sacrifice muscle either ;)

#12 Blinkbear, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  13. Blinkbear

just a quick blurb. sittin here enjoyin my eggwhites/oatmeal/grapefruit per Mastover up there. I didn't get jack for sleep last night. For some reason I tossed and turned til midnight and I had to be back up again at 5:15. ugh! I hope i'm not too tired throughout the day. I might have to try and take a nap later after work before my workout :confused:

anyway...hope everyone's day goes well

14. Blinkbear

Leg workout was tonight and i jsut got back.

went in rarin' to go and pounded out some squats 10, 8, 6 of 195, 230, 255 and then hit some calf raises.

But then for the second time in a row it all went downhill. I went for my BB deadlifts. feelin pretty good, knocked out 10 reps of 235, then 8 reps of 260, then 5 of 285. really pushed the last set. couple minutes later I had to sit down because I really felt like pukin again. tried to do some leg extensions but I was just drained...i could barely do 30 pounds less than what i had written down as what I was supposed to do. Did some quick ab work and I had to leave. I was drenched in sweat and my legs hurt liek a biatch but this nauseous feeling is getting real old real quick.

i'm thinkin I might have to drop the weight a bit and just do deads at the end of my workout. I usually like doin them when i'm fresh but I dunno if I can handle that anymore. It's only been the last two times when I've really pushed it. plus it gives me a headache which is starting to subside a little.

I dunno. But it's time to make dinner. even tho I'm not really hungry :S

15. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Deads on your squat day?

Unless your doing a two day split thats definetly not reccommeded

16. Blinkbear

Usually a MWF split (Had to move it back one day this week cuz I missed monday). SO this week it's a TWF split. Upper, lower (today), upper. Next week it's back on regulat MWF split but it's Lower, Upper, Lower.

Thing is, I haven't had a problem with doin them both on the same day up until last friday and tonight,. Maybe next week I'll split the two lifts between Monday and Friday. See if that makes a difference.

17. Blinkbear

Well..I did a bad thing last night and I'm pretty disappointed in myself.

I didn't feel like cooking last night so what did I do? Ordered up fuckin chinese. ARGH! Not gonna lie..the general tso's was tasty as hell. But tasty enough to deal with the guilty feeling afterwards??? notsomuch.

I slipped into the instant gratification state of mind again and I only hurt myself and set myself back. Ya work so hard to burn the calories and in one moment of weakness can just ruin it....just a bummer is all.

Oh well, just gotta keep on keepin on now and make sure I keep a stock of easy-made/pre-made food around. Upper body workout tonight. had the day off of work so I jsut cleaned up the apartment a little and then sat around.

My Badgers play Davidson tonight so I'm excited to watch that :tu: Prolly head to the gym after the game

18. Spongy

Spongy Active Member

Haha, the dreaded chinese food... It's ok man, everybody has their moments of weakness, best thing to do is get back on track tomorrow and get it going. Looking at your pictures, you and I are fairly similar in stature and body type, so it looks like we'll be going at this together.

Stay strong and just think about how sweet that General's chicken is gonna taste when you're sitting at 200 lbs!

19. Blinkbear

ya that's what i was thinkin when I saw your stats that we're pretty similar.

Whoo boy...I'd look frickin weird if I was 200 lbs lol. I don't think I've weighed that little since like....7th grade haha.

Actually My goal is to eventually be a solid 235-240.

20. Blinkbear

Does watching Stephen Curry count as cardio? That guy really had my blood boiling!!!!! Everything that guy, no, that TEAM put up was dropping! If Davidson can play liek this the entire tournament I can see them goin all the way. Think Larry Bird and Indiana State...

Lifting tonight went well. Did some good work. I'm really liking doing hang cleans. :D I need some new lifts for chest work. My chest is really lagging behind my bis and tris and I think it's holding me back..especially while benching. Any suggestions anyone???

The girlfriend is really, really into lifting now. She'd never really done it before and now some days she's more excited to go than I am, lol. It's a big help.