1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Billy's Quest for 1000

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by NCNBilly, Sep 9, 2008.

1. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

It's actually a little higher in calories than I was eating on 10/10, but less fat and more carbs which is really what I wanted anyway. I hate low carb from the way it makes me feel.

I'm thinking I'll probably need to drop another 100-200 in about 4 weeks, but that's doable. Hoping to only have to cut about 12 weeks, which I think is pretty reasonable with the amount I have to lose.

2. NCNBilly

Settled on doing the Stronglifts intermediate 5x5, using the overhead press option since I think I need some shoulder work. Felt pretty good doing BB back squats, and keeping my cals around 2000k should net me some good gains under the bar while cutting.

Picked up some more Xtend - this time trying the watermelon. I really want to try the Apple, but that's all Vitamin Shoppe had (at least they carry it in stock now).

3. NCNBilly

Program is going really well, still too many cals on the weekends but that's something that I'm working on. It's terribly difficult to eat my regular meals when I'm watching Rhyan. I have the utmost respect for all stay-at-home parents - I'm great at keeping the kids entertained and fed, but I have no idea how to get anything else (shopping, laundry, cleaning, etc) done.

I missed a workout on Sunday, couldn't get 30 minutes alone to save my life. I decided to push forward with the weight increase for the week, and had a FANTASTIC workout. I'm doing a new intraworkout shake rather than a standard post workout and it's helping me a good bit:

intra:
    1g sodium ascorbate (vitamin c)
    1 100% juice box (24-26 carbs)
    5g Xtend
    15g whey

5g Creatine

1-1.5hrs later I have my dinner, close to P 40 / C 65 / F 5

4. NCNBilly

Going well, hovering at the 189 mark. I've decided not to have a cheat meal this weekend. I was originally going to the beach house to do some work, and diet down there is pretty much solid junk. The weather isn't cooperating with travel, so instead I'll be home.

I'm going to make some chili, probably with chicken or 93% lean beef (or maybe both) since it's a chili kind of weekend. This is the last weekend that my wife is working on-call (4PM today to 8Am monday) so even though I'll be Mr. Mom the end is in sight. I love my daughters dearly, but working a full time job all week and entertaining them all weekend for the last 6 weekends has worn me out.

5. NCNBilly

I had a slight cheat of 3 blueberry pancakes late in the morning yesterday, but having not eaten about 40g of carbs on Saturday I felt this wouldnt be a problem. I was right! Having a small cheat meal, and watching calories the rest of the day paid off in a huge drop this week - 187.4.

BF% was 15.2 which feels about right. I'll be tracking this weekly. The hardest month is ahead - so many gigs and opportunities to break my diet. This weekend isn't too bad, but next weekend will be. I've got to come up with a plan. I'll be doing a bunch more cardio (playing) so that will offset some. It helps that our guitarist doesn't drink (he's also an MMA fighter), so if I hang with him I should do ok.

6. NCNBilly

7. NCNBilly

Progress this week!

All weights increased, this morning's weigh in:

187.0 lbs
    13% BF

I'm right on target to hit 10%bf at 180lbs. It's funny, I'm usually seeing all my weight changes on one day - during the week I'm fluctuating around 190/191, but when the weekend rolls around I've been consistently in the upper 180s. I'm feeling pretty good about the BF measurement, I got good holds on the skin folds so I think it's pretty accurate. At this rate, I should hit my target somewhere in the end of April - then I can decide if I want to continue another few weeks, but I'm definitly going to be done my Memorial Day and then maintain for the Summer.

I'm eating around 2000-2100 cals a day, so I think I've got this dialed in pretty good. A small shift of 200 cals will yield me faster weight loss, but at the risk of not hitting the Stronglifts intermediate 5x5 weight targets. I think I'm recomping pretty well, so I'm pretty jacked!

8. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

9. NCNBilly

Yes, which is fine - between 8 of us I can pass a drink off to someone. I confess that I had a shot of Jameson on Saturday - the show was incredibly well attended and the crowd was extra rowdy (just as we like them to be) so a victory shot came from the owner.

I also gave about 20 autographs, and signed a pair of bewbs. :madpimp:

On to more progress:

This is week 4 of the program - the first PR week and I'm doing pretty well.

Squats - 5x5x275 (a 5x5 PR, the 1x5 attempt PR is Saturday)
    Power clean 1x5x145 (I think if I tighten my form down, I can dramatically increase this, but a PR none-the-less).

I'm getting vascularity back in my arms, not just in the gym.. A sure sign of my impending leanness.

The next week and a half could potentially be dangerous to my diet/workout routine. My goal is to have fun, but keep it under some sort of control.

10. NCNBilly

I'm going to be starting Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 - unsure whether I should start a new journal or keep this one since my goal is still to hit 1000 at some point in my life.

The diet looks pretty insane, but I think the 10/10 was pretty similar in calorie and carb levels - the difference with the UD2.0 is that the carb refeeds are better planned and controlled.

11. NCNBilly

Ultimate Diet 2.0, Day 1

I haven't totally finished the book, but i need to get started. As the saying goes, you don't need to have a perfect plan to start but you need to start to perfect your plan.

Day 1: Depletion

Cals: ~1400
    P/C/F: 160/50/51

Tonight and tomorrows workout are based on depleting muscle glycogen. I've done high rep, low weights before on low carbs and it sucks. I'm mentally prepared for what I'm about to do, but know tomorrow morning is going to suck to the extreme.

Still.... I've slipped a little in the last two weeks, holding at 190, so the next few days before my carb up on Thursday night will show what I'm really working with.

I'm pretty hungry, only 1 meal in so far (I've normally had two, closing in on #3) by this time of the day. Extra delicious coffee is helping, and Lyle enjoys a good cup almost as much as I do. :)

12. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    :wave:

13. NCNBilly

:spaz: S'up Phil?

Last night's workout sucked horribly. Its supposed to be a full body, high rep, short rest. I thought I was ready, but it's been nearly 8 months since my last real high rep workout. I puked on my second go round (6 exercises for 3x15, rest a few minutes then repeat). I got to the second pass of exercise #3 and lost it.

I have to do the same workout today, so I'm going to up my carbs a bit and lower the weight even more. 2x3x15@95 front squats simply tore me up. :o

14. NCNBilly

Whatever I thought about yesterday goes double for today.. Here was the workout:

1 min rest between supersets:

DB Split squats 3x15x20
    Dips 3x15xbw

Goodmornings 3x15x65
    Lat Pulldown 3x15x40

Calf raise 3x15x255
    DB Lat raise 3x15x15

Bicep curl 3x15x20
    Tri pushdown 3x15x40

This whole circuit was then repeated.

And today, I'm dead.....

15. NCNBilly

I think I have my carb-up tomorrow almost entirely laid out in BodyShop. I'm going to add some type of sherbet or frozen yogurt to my last 2 meals.

Hmm, wonder if BodyShop can do a grocery list? That'd be a cool feature, mebbe I'll request it.

16. NCNBilly

Very successful week - down 2.5lbs, and all my lifts were strong. Feeling great heading into another week of UD2.0. Although it's hard, it's very effective and I have a great feeling that 4-6 weeks is going to put me right where I want to be. The weekend dieting is called 'variable' and the recommendation is to see what you can get away with. I had pizza for lunch yesterday, but did so much physical activity I think it all balanced well.

I'm dialing back the carbs today, trying to hit <60 and I think I'll have another big week!

17. NCNBilly

Monday and Tuesday's depletion workouts went without a hitch - sticking to my eating plan pretty closely:

CHO: 55
    FAT: 60
    PRO: 185

Split to 4 meals, carbs are in the first three - last meal is protein, fat, veggies.

Weight this morning is 186.3, feeling good. I was a little hazy in the afternoon yesterday, but I'm feeling energetic today. I think I'm adapting to the carb swing. No workout tonight, just cardio in the form of planting and mulching my flower beds. I love spring!

We're going to the beach this weekend, I'll be working out at a gym on Saturday morning (10th St Gym in Wildwood, NJ). I can get a 5 use pass for $50+tax, so I can go whenever I'm down there. Since it's off season, I suspect it will be totally dead, which is nice.

18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

hey buddy how ya liking the ud 2.0?? how long you planning on running it??

hardcore but effective as hell. :nod:

19. NCNBilly

Liking it a lot actually. I think I'm going to do 6 weeks, do a 2 week break, then another 4 which will have me done right as I go for the July 4th vacation. If 10 weeks of cutting won't do it, then nothing will. I'm hovering right around 11-12% so I'm hoping to be sub 9% by the maintenance break, then reach 7-8% before the 4th.

I will then call this the 'end' of my transformation. :)

20. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

sounds like a plan. :tucool:

how many cals are you getting on your lowest days?