1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bike Trainers: Fluid vs. Magnetic Resistance?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by Derwinator, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Derwinator

Derwinator Well-Known Member

Last fall I made an investment in my own BTC (inspired by John's outrageous setup) and purchased a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. It has been a great tool to help me keep up the miles when either weather or time has not allowed me to roll outdoors. A buddy of mine introduced me to Zwift and their BLE support beta release (my Trek Madone has only Bluetooth sensors for speed and cadence, no power meter) and while it was buggy for awhile I think the Zwift programmers are finally putting out some solid releases.

My friend was using Zwift on rollers :eek: and while it worked, he was looking to upgrade to a trainer with resistance. He made the leap last week and bought a Wahoo Kickr Snap and was hammered by the Zwift mountain route. He said the experience was really like riding outdoors. Now, I know the Kurt Kinetic provides fluid resistance that increases steadily as you increase speed but I'm now wondering if I should consider an upgrade?

Just wondering if others have experience and opinions to lend here. And yes, I have read DC Rainmaker's reviews but like to get some other opinions on fluid vs. magnetic resistance trainers. THANKS!

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Fluid trainers, especially with a power meter, are an excellent Zwift pairing (that's my current setup), but nothing compares to an intelligent trainer like the Kickr. If you have the means and plan to spend a decent amount of time training indoors, Kickr is definitely the way to go.

3. Derwinator

Derwinator Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply! My Kurt Kinetic has the InRide sensor which Zwift uses to calculate power output so I have been able to make my trainer rides guided by this measure. I can increase resistance as I hit a "hill" by shifting into higher gears but it's not like a real hill where you decide to either downshift and spin or keep the same gear and mash your way up. If I am not paying close attention to the screen I wouldn't even know that the elevation was changing. I am interested the magnetic resistance trainers for this reason but wonder how they compare on noise output and reliability compared to fluid trainers?

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

My only experience with the Wahoo was during my TT bike fitting. I don't recall much, if any, noise from the unit.