1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bike tire suggestion help

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by gravityhomer, Apr 11, 2015.

1. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hopefully someone knowledgeable in bike tires won't mind helping me out. I use my bike just to ride to and from the gym, 2 miles one way. It's a used montague folding bike that I got for free a few years ago. I am pretty sure it is this bike here: http://www.montaguebikes.com/mx-mountain-folding-bike-2007.html

The tires are really worn, practically bald in the middle. I got a flat last week, when a piece of glass pierced right through the middle. So I believe I can just replace the outer rubber part? The tires on there now, say kenda kwick 26 x 1.7 k-879-02 and it also says "to fit HB-575 rim". They are likely the tires that came with the bike.

I've searched around and I can't really find this same size, most likely what I find is tires that are size 26 X 1.95 or larger.

Is this an odd size tire? Can I get a 1.95 tire and would it fit? I looked at the rims, but they don't really say anything on them that would give the size tire.

Lastly the road I ride along is littered with debris as it passes multiple construction sites, so I would not mind going with a fatter tire if I could.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

According to the specs of the bike you linked to, it came with 26x1.95 inch tires.

There are plenty of 26x1.75 tires out there if that's what you need. For example: http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Bicycle-Gumwall-26-Inch-1-75-Inch/dp/B002DWZD2I/

I don't know what wheels you have on that bike, but chances are a 1.95 would be fine. You'll need a tube, too, since that's what actually flatted.

You may want to bring the bike to your local bike shop if in doubt. It would be a pretty easy fix for them.

3. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Okay good to know. I think I'll give the 1.95 a shot. I don't see why they wouldn't work.
    I had already replaced the tube, I know how to at least do that :D