1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest Muscles,Smallest Muscles..

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by HevyMetal, Mar 7, 2007.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a site,link,book or what-have-you that categorizies in detail the muscles of the human body from largest to smallest?

I already know that the Gluteus Maximus is the largest.

But I wanted to get a bit more specific than say " Legs and back are the largest".

Thank You

2. phitness

phitness Well-Known Member

Guessing...

Glutes
    Quads
    Hams
    Pecs
    Lats
    Delts
    Traps
    Calves
    Triceps
    Biceps
    Forearms

3. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I would go:

Glutes
    Quads
    Hams
    Lats
    Traps
    Calves
    Delts
    Pecs
    Triceps
    Biceps
    abs
    Forearms
    :confused:

4. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

What do you mean by largest?

Most surface area?

Most volume?

Longest?

Also, it's not universal. Some people may have larger muscles proportionate to others - i.e. smaller leg muscles, larger pec muscles, etc.

Here is my favorite book illustrating muscle, because it depicts them in various exercises: Strength Training Anatomy

Jeremy

5. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Thanks so far...I was looking at it from a training perspective.

Actually pound for pound the strongest muscles in your body are in your mouth/jaw somewhere...or so I read.

Don't want to split hairs here....GENERALLY by size ON AVERAGE for the AVERAGE JOE in terms of what are described as "big" and "small" muscles in relationship to bodybuilding.

Generally they'll say "back and legs" are biggest muscles, but I'm sure you could find muscles in that group that are smaller than muscles elsewhere by comparison.

I have that book...Strength Training Anatomy by Delavier...and a good one it is.

If you look at an anatomy chart you can sort of "guesstimate" which ones are the biggest but you don't know for sure.

Some tenets of training are thus...."train your biggest muscles first" and "smaller muscles recover faster than large muscles" (Fred Hatfield said the latter and I'm assuming he meant when you hit them High Intensity to failure).

Ellington Darden also echoes the same refrain.

Darden also suggests training the lower body before the upper body and while your at it train the Hams before the Quads.

However he suggests abs be done last as you need them in the workout for stability.

From some of the lists posted I didn't realize Pecs were that far down on the scale. I always thought of them as a larger muscle.

So I just want an accurate general list of biggest to smallest from training perspective...

6. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Go by compound movements -- unless you're using all isolation exercises, it doesn't make sense to split by individual muscles:

1. pulls (e.g. conv. and sumo deadlifts, cleans, snatches)
    2. quad-dominant (e.g. squats)
    3. hip-dominant (e.g. RDLs, SLDLs, good mornings)
    4. upper push (e.g. dips, bench presses, overhead presses)
    5. upper pull (e.g. pull-ups, rows)

Then isolation for the remainder:

6. calves
    7. triceps (i.e. elbow extension)
    8. biceps (i.e. elbow flexion)
    9. forearms
    10. tibialis anterior (e.g. reverse calf raises)

I think this is a very good list of precedence. I think the order of upper push vs. pull is a bit debateable though. (I explain why in the next part of the post).

A lot of people make this mistake. This probably comes from the fact that you say pecs and people think bench press, which, in reality, also includes the shoulders and triceps to make a real powerhouse combination. Rows, on the other hand, when properly performed, get a lot of back action and, comparatively, little else. (Your elbow is pulled toward the body because of a concentrated contraction of the lat, rather than the bicep.) However, physically, the lats are a much larger muscle than the pecs so, on a list that orders by size, they come before the pecs.

#6 chicanerous, Mar 8, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  7. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

A squat or leg press can work quads and glutes. Always a good starter.

I think picking up calves after glutes, quads and hams makes sense becuse you have blood flow down there. And remember most who workout have 16 or better calves when they don't have arms that big.

Now you get the back, shoulders, chest, arms, abs and forearms. While I believe in direct Ab work, I think forearms get enough indirect to take care of them. if you are not planning for contest.:bb: