1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest Loser Goes Even Bigger Next Season (526lb contestant)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by JKulp42757, Dec 16, 2009.

1. JKulp42757

JKulp42757 Well-Known Member

"Biggest Loser is going even bigger with its next season, when 526 pound Michael Ventrella -- the show's largest contestant ever -- tips the scales for the show's ninth season. Prior to Ventrella's 500+ pound weigh-in, the heaviest contestant was in season eight, when Shay Sorrells began the show at 476 pounds."

I hope the guy is able to lose weight, but being so large, it will be interesting to see just exactly what he's able to do from the beginning. For example, how long could a person that big realistically stay on a treadmill? A minute or two at most??

2. needachange

needachange Active Member

If this guy has the determination he could probably beat Rudy's record for fastest 100 lbs lost.

I'm dissapointed they are going back to couples though. I really prefer the individual seasons. This last season was probably my favorite one.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I am surprised they are going that big. Unless they extend the length of the season, even if the person lost 200 pounds (526 --> 326), it wouldn't be the dramatic change that they like to show from before / after. The guy who won this season, his change was phenomenal. He even said nobody recognizes him, since his change was so dramatic.

4. JKulp42757

I think they know he won't win (like Shaye and Dan), but he can make good progress.

Yes, this seasons winner Danny did an amazing job!

Oh, they've got the next seasons contestants up here:
    http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/

And here is Michael, the 526lb contestant:
    http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/contestants/michael/

5. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of this show since Season One. I think that it inspires a lot of people into action. I know that ratings is king, but I have always felt there are enough people in the production process that genuinely care about the contestants to outweigh that aspect.

That being said, I hope they continue to help people and don't try to make it a freak show where they try to get bigger and bigger people every season. My wife and I had a conversation about this just last week because she suggested to me that my workout partner (who is just getting started) go on the show. I told her that at 300-some pounds I don't think he would be big enough anymore.

The deal they offered Shay at the finale gives me hope that it won't go entirely in the wrong direction.

6. JKulp42757

Anyone else catch the first episode last night?

I won't give anything away, but I did like how they had to weigh in, in front of family & friends...might help keep some of them accountable.

7. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

I thought that was an interesting start. I didn't like the way they cut two teams immediately.

8. JKulp42757

I wasn't liking that either...UNTIL it was revealed that it's really just one team, to be determined by their own results.

9. FreePrince

FreePrince Active Member

Im a big fan of the show, but am getting to the point where id really wish they'd focus more on what workouts the contestants are doing and what their nurition is, rather than all the crying and life coaching stuff. It's getting to be a bit depressing to be quite honest!

10. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

What was the deal with the M&M's in the trough tonight?

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Exactly. Pretty much anyone who loses weight, would agree I think that nutrition is probably the most important component in losing weight. That show glosses over it almost entirely.

I watched yesterday from about 9:00 on. I like that part when the chef showed different meals, and the heaviest guy said he probably would have eaten them all, roughly 9,000 calories. Then they show one of the other constestants snickering, and saying "maybe that is why he weighs 526 pounds". I was thinking "like you should talk, you are so fat that you also are a contestant on the Biggest Loser (look in the mirror).":lol: Truthfully though, I think the way they edit the show, they are trying to make the red team look like villains, to make the show more interesting. That whole thing with the trainers arguing with the woman on the red team was intentional, to create a story line.

My money is on the green team. Those two women are very determined.

12. JKulp42757

whatever team ate the most got to decide who was the student and who was the teacher for each team.

The pink team won, by only eating TWO M&Ms, 10 calories.

13. JKulp42757

I was thinking the same thing, like she has room to talk, she is also on the show!

I do like the red team though, they are definitely playing the game.

14. BusyChild

BusyChild Well-Known Member

No kidding. Last season everytime they went to one of those moments they played alot of sad music. I felt like I was watching Lifetime or a movie with a soundtrack (of sad music). I knew it was time to flip away until the crying was done. This season they've cut back on the music but the crying is still there.

The only thing that was truly sad was that one lady from last season who's entire family was killed in a car accident. I'm still amazed at her and what's she's done.

15. FreePrince

FreePrince Active Member

Oh the music videos are horrible--just totally unwatchable. They make lifetime movies look like the godfather. What's worse is that they pick the cheeziest and worst music ever: stuff from the richard simmons 'you are a strong woman' country album.

It amazes me how they can montage a 3 hour workout in 45 seconds but still devote 20 minutes to some challenge where people are just hanging from a bar or something.

16. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

According to the website, that guy lost 60ish pound in 3 weeks. Holy crap?

17. JKulp42757

Ya, he did.

But, I'm sure that they all pig out, and/or drink a lot of water right before that first official weigh in for the show...that way their percentages lost can look better. I know that's what I would do.

18. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

Personally, I have only watched the show a few times here and there. The issue I have with the show is that they get these people who have massive lbs to lose and get them to do it so fast seems to just set them up for failure in the real world. Granted, many succeed, but more I would tend to guess fail.... I would love to see where former participants from the first few seasons are today just to see who fell off the wagon and who didnt.....

19. needachange

needachange Active Member

They had an entire show dedicated to that ;)

Most had talked about extactly what you said. That outside of the house working out for 6 hours a day in the real world just isn't practical. Majority of the contestants had gained weight back (not all of it but some).

I think it would suck because the world has seen you go through all that and you would then have this constant pressure to live up to of what was accomplished on the ranch.

20. kurent

kurent Active Member

There is another show I watch with :eek: expression on my face. They get an obese person and a skinny person. They both explain their average diet over a week and then they switch the diets between them. :eek: The skinny guy eats tons of food and usually gets sick and the obese one get's almost nothing and usually looks like he wants to eat the skinny guy. :eek: The best part, they both prepare food for each other and have to watch each other eat. :eek: I guess it is meant to be a shock at how extreme the two are.

The show does show some typical things about loosing and gaining weight. Skinny guy says I tried everything I can't gain weight, help me! Then the expert says ok let's go thru a typical day, what do you have for breakfast? Skinny guy says a cigarette and coffe. ...alright snack? Nothing. Emm..launch? Egg sandwich (half of it he feed to the pidgeons when the camera followed him). Dinner? Glass of orange juice. Now why do you think you should be gaining weight? :lol:

On the other hand you have obese people saying I can't loose weight help me! Ok what's for breakfast? Two burgers, big french fries and 1 liter of coke plus chips and a bit of...:bang: