1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest Loser Finale - WOW

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by JKulp42757, Dec 19, 2007.

1. JKulp42757

JKulp42757 Well-Known Member

WOW, what an amazing transformation many of them had! Especially the twin brothers at around 40 years of age!

2. Dorvaan

Dorvaan Well-Known Member

Yeah, i was very surprised to see the twins win both the grand prize, and the consolation prize.

This is my first year watching the show, and what I noticed was it seemed like they focused strictly on "weight" loss, with no regard to whether it was muscle or fat. I figured that at the finale, we'd see a bunch of "skinny-fat" people. But, i was very impressed with Bill and Jim. They had amazing muscle definition. (http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/photos/contestants/#cat=397&sec=1518&mea=37004) They looked like two completely different people. I'd love to see a follow up with them in a year or so. It seems like they really have it together.

3. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I've been addicted to this show since Season One, partly because Season One appeared on NBC not long after I joined this website and truly got serious with completing my transformation.

I've corresponded with former show contestants and even had the opportunity to correspond with Jillian Michaels (who happens to host a radio show you can get over the Internet on Sundays at noon that is fabulous and showcases a side of her personality that is never seen on the Biggest Loser). She's an amazing trainer and has always been my favorite. I'd love to have her push me through just one workout to see how well I'd hold up to her standards.

From having spoken with Gary Deckman (runner up, Season One), I learned a great deal about what I initially thought was a grossly irresponsible and unhealthy view of fat loss. In actuality, it's the complete opposite.

The contestants are provided exercise direction by the trainers, obviously - that's what you see on the TV screen. What you don't see is that the trainers work with specialized nutritionists to provide extremely specific nutritional plans (which if you've watched for any amount of time, you know that sometimes the contestants don't listen when they should!). There are three staff doctors who monitor the contestants daily, and a doctor is provided to each team and is present (off-camera) for all the exercising that each contestant performs in case of a health issue or injury. They are very closely monitored, and their programs are actually quite healthy for them despite their initial bulk.

Those people have what we all dream of - the opportunity to bust ass and focus on their bodies for up to four solid months, and I love watching the seasons because it tends to remind me of how good I've got it, and how far I've come myself. And it doesn't hurt to imagine Jillian screaming in my ear when I don't want to knock out that last rep at the gym.

It's good stuff... I'm looking forward to the Jan. 1 premiere of the "couples" version. You know where I'll be that night. ;)

-R

4. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I've taken on a personal training client who started out ten days ago at 275lbs. She's 30 and very motivated by what she's seen on this show. We'll initially be working together for four months (she is in a wedding at the end of March and wants to really feel good about herself and her progress by that point). She's weight training with me three days per week for a half hour (followed by a half hour of cardio), and coming in to do an hour of cardio an additional three days per week.

5. kribrg

kribrg Well-Known Member

This is an interview that Lyle did with someone from the Biggest Loser. It was in one of his newsletters http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/newsletter.html

6. Rise

Rise Active Member

the twin who was a runner up had huge arms! also, 51%bf loss is absurd.

7. goofnut

goofnut Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of the show as there's too much time devoted to stuff not directly related to each person's struggle and exactly how much exercise they do, etc. Also don't like the voting off thing, In my opinion, I'd like to see it based on a combination of factors like "percentage of weight lost" .. "cardio improvement" .. "strength improvement" .. that way, the most deserving person has the best chance of staying on...however, there is an interview on Larry King tonite with the trainers and some contestants which I will watch.

8. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

Rise, it wasn't 51% bf loss... it was 51% body WEIGHT loss... and it was true :nod:

9. ebatch20

ebatch20 Well-Known Member

Suffering from loose skin here.. I wonder how their skin looks now, especially Bill.

10. danboback

danboback Well-Known Member

Its a pretty inspirational show. I think I will set my DVR to record this season.

11. lblake

lblake Active Member

I am absolutely hooked on this show, and have been for the past two seasons. Even though the show tends to show more cardio emphasis, etc., I am still hooked!

12. rapp

rapp Well-Known Member

I've also been watching this show starting last season and this current couples one. One thing that I like about it, is how the trainers are hounding (at least on camera) that they need to eat more. My biggest complaint is that they don't show anything about the competitors that are sent home, yet continue to lose weight. I'd like to know more about what their at home plans are, since I assume that they still receive some support from the show.

13. J2K66

J2K66 Well-Known Member

It's an inspirational show for sure, I just wish they would show more nutrition information. They only show the workouts and challenges, generally. It would be nice if they added a cooking/recipe segment to every show.

14. danboback

danboback Well-Known Member

This weeks episode was pretty good, you can really see who wants in more especially in the beginning when the results aren't as obvious. Like I said before it is a very motivational show, and hopefully will help me stay on track.

15. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Chamelon made a good point. This is body weight loss not body loss.

I would love to see full body submersion bf calculations....alas that is not as dramatic as some slot machine weight scale. Also, most Americans are too dumb to recognize the difference in the two. We "learn" weight is all that matters. That is why I am 40 pounds overweight according to the US standards...of course those standards don't take into account LMB.

16. rapp

rapp Well-Known Member

When you are as obese as the contestants start off as, I'd say there is some validity to generic weight being what matters. Simply moving around all that weight around taxes your body.

It would be cool to show how much their BF %s change over the course of the show. I would imagine that while most contestants lose some muscle, it's not really all that dramatic of a loss (using Bill from last year as an example) because they do incorporate plenty of resistance exercises. Too bad 90+% of the viewers don't know the difference :( Too bad the trainers don't have more input on the show's message, but I guess if they did, the ratings would drop...and you can't have that! :rolleyes:

17. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Bill and his brother put on muscle. Their arms looked great...But, they were penalized for the weight of the muscle no? They still won.

The flip side is that more muscle means more calories burned.

18. Kenpo Fist

Kenpo Fist Well-Known Member

Hey Banditfist, love that you have the "Eternally Tanned One" as your avitar :tucool: . I ran into him the not too long ago at a sushi place in Calabasas.

Back to the topic: I saw this show for the first time last night and am hooked. Very motivating.

19. JKulp42757

JKulp42757 Well-Known Member

I've watched the show since the first season, and I believe they DID use a submersion for BF calculation in the finale of one of the earlier seasons, perhaps the first season. I do remember seeing them get dunked in the tanks.

If I remember correctly they used total weight lost, and BF % lost, and put those two together to see who the winner was.

I've wondered why they went back to just weight loss only....

20. FBChick

FBChick Active Member

Actually the winning or losing has always been about the weightloss only. The first season was actually done strictly by pounds loss (not the %BW used now). But they did do an indepth show on the opener showing the testing the contestants went through at the start of the show, which included the tank dunk for a BF%. I bet they still do the tank dunk, but they just don't even talk about it anymore.