1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Big Squats

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Big_D, May 20, 2007.

1. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Your lockout is ~225 pounds higher then your bench? That's pretty strange, and mostly impressive. What was your ROM?

If you can move 555 for 3 or 4 inches in your lockout, chances are you could put a bench shirt on right now and break some national records (given your age). Heck, Oleksandr Kutcher benched 518. With the right shirt you could do some crazy numbers.

#41 betastas, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

How much are you doing?

3. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Yeah weird huh? The rom was about 3 inches I believe, though I didn't measure. It really hurt my wrist though. Do those shirts really help that much? I felt ridiculous though, because I was like alright, Beta has a good bench, so I tried 385, felt really easy, went up to 435, felt really easy went up to 485, felt really easy, at this point everyone in the gym was looking at me. Kept going up to 555 >.>

4. betastas

The shirt would help you mostly on the bottom of the lift. Try a floor press next time and report back with your 1RM. If you have a big floor press too, a shirt would definitely give you a big bench. :nod:

5. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I'll take a couple pictures of my arm position. Also, the problem with these are, these work to my advantage because my wingspan is very large for my height, i believe its like 5-6 inches longer than I am tall, so that hurts.

6. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I got 335 for a set of 6 a couple days ago after a sprint workout.

7. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Explain how to do a floor press, please =).

8. betastas

If you can bench at the maximum allowed width and avoid shoulder pain, all the more power to you. I can only bench so wide before I kill my bicep tendons, so most of my training takes place with my little finger on the ring, or closer. Depending on the build of your arms, it may not be quite so much of a disadvantage. If you want to look on the bright side, a shitty bencher makes a good deadlifter. :tu: That's 3 inches less to move the bar.

BTW, those are some good squats too. I'm looking forward to a nice long fall session without surgeries to get in the way of my progress.

____________________________:dreamy:

9. betastas

Set up weight in power rack on squat hooks.
    Lay down under the weight, flat backed, legs out long or bent at the knees.
    Have a partner give you a lift off.
    Lower the weight until your triceps are flat on the floor. Pause briefly.
    Press.

The goal is to not smash your elbows into the floor. That can be painful and crippling. :p Take the bar down to where you normally would take it in the full bench lift. Don't take it BB style. For me, my floor press is weaker then my bench. This indicates a good area for me to focus on.

A spotter is always advised for this lift, as you can't really set up the safeties well enough to prevent you from injuring yourself in the event of a missed lift.

10. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I don't think I have any friends who can deadlift that much :lol:. What if I set up the rack so it was at triceps on ground and did it that way?

11. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I bench about pinkies on rings, also. For squats lately I've been working up to a big set, then dropping back down to like 70% and doing a few sets of a2g at the same rep range, seems to be working pretty well.

12. betastas

It's just a regular handoff. You DO hold on to the bar and lift it off as well. I'm sure you can set up the stops, but the point of this whole lift is to stop it without any sort of safety bars. You control the weight the whole time, from top to deload to press.

13. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

That's ridiculous.:tucool: You're approaching DeFranco territory.

565 lb. Rack Lockout

#53 Pete5, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  14. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Hes got about 3 more inches rom there than I do.

edit: also I'm fairly sure his bench press is very large, and mine is like 320-325

15. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

The point of this is mid bench press right? That's my problem area, it comes off the chest fast but theres a sticking point about halfway up, but then the lockout is fairly quick, as well.

16. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Have you considered board presses?

17. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

This is the dilemma, I have mostly been training for track, but bench press has always been far and away my strongest lift. It does nothing for sprinting, but I kind of want to get strong in it. Once I get to CU, if they have me doing anything, it won't be benching. Also, I train at a local rec center which didn't even have a dip belt for awhile. So I don't really have access to board presses, more than 1 squat rack, and dumbbells over 110 lbs :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

18. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Highly doubtful, we'll see how the floor presses go, I may go tommroow.

edit... that Oleksandr guy is ridonkulous.
    edit edit... depends on the powerlifting federation, in USA powerlifting the record is 405 shirted for my age/weight, but in some other one its like 360ish. I could probably hit that in a shirt, right?

#58 Big_D, Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  19. betastas

Theoretically, yes, you could. Practically, it takes a fair bit of time to learn your particular shirt. In addition, shirted benching is quite a bit different then raw benching and requires new technique. The only reason I don't want to say that you could do it for sure is that unless you actually put the shirt on and do it, there's no point in saying you can. I know some people who can put a shirt on and add 150 pounds. Then there's me, trying to learn the shirt, and only putting on 10 or 20 pounds. It's a long learning process. One of my buddies is lifting in Worlds for WPC. He's 18 and has been lifting in a shirt for maybe a year and a half, and he still makes his fair share of mistakes.

If you want to get into shirted stuff, go find some powerlifters. It's basically impossible to do shirted stuff on your own.

The point of it is flat back work, and midstroke benchpress. Depending on your build, you may be stuck above or below the bottom of the lift. I really like floor press as it's a nice brute strength exercise. From what I've been told it should be higher then your full raw bench, and perhaps even higher then your max shirted bench. One of my buddies benches 550, locks out 850 :eek: and can floor press close to his shirted 550. Compared with me, my max triple is 185 floor, 245 or so bench, and I don't triple in a shirt. As you can see I can benefit more from the floor press right now than the rack lockouts, however I'm doing the lockouts because they're really strengthening my tris in everything else too.

#59 betastas, Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  20. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't even know where to begin looking for powerlifting friends.