1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Big Squats

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Big_D, May 20, 2007.

1. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You and me both.

This is going to be good!

2. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Update :lol:.

Graduation parties all weekend, so I have been eatin' real big :D. At mine, we had a large game of Spartan Madball, in which 20 on each team play smear the queer, no forward passes allowed, only laterals and backwards passes, with 2x endzones. It ended up being a rough game, but no one could tackle me :tucool:. I had a football player(6'2, 210ish) run head on into me and I flattened him out, which made me pretty proud. I did end up with a ripped shirt, dislocated thumb, and a sore ACL, but that game is majorly fun.

Because of the sore ACL I did not squat yesterday, but I did get to the gym and did some DB bench, weighted dips, weighted pull ups, hang cleans, shrugs, tricep pushdowns and hammer curls.

Today my leg is feeling much better, so the squat workout comes tommorow. I went to the track and my workout went like this:
    Quarter mile warmup,
    10m A-skips
    10m B-skips
    10m High knees
    10m Buttkicks
    20m Bounds
    2x100m Strides
    10x100m sprints all 12s except the last one which was 11-something. Ran the straightaway walked the curve.
    400m cooldown

Whole workout took about 30 minutes, man I like sprinting.

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Over here we call that 'rugby' :D

4. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

It's different though, no kicking or anything, heh. They're similar, though.

5. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Leg workout today

Squats, FSQs, Lunges, Leg Extensions, calf Raises

Boy those lunges are hard.

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's to keep a high chest. I don't like it myself because it makes my lats feel tight and I don't like messing with my back. I like a real neutral feel in the back and I like to relax the arms. This might be because I go for such long sets.

But what it means is that I actually press slightly forward with the elbows as I go into the hole, but as soon as I'm past the sticking point I'm relaxing them.

7. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I tried it and it seemed to help, just felt really unnatural and awkward. Also, my traps were very sore from the hang cleans, shrugs, and others, so I had to use my biceps to stabilize the long squat sets and long lunge sets, so my biceps were really sore today. This didn't let me get the back workout I wanted today, so I did chest/tris/shoulders.

Bench press 12, 8, 8
    Weighted dips 5, 5, 5, 5
    CGBP 10, 10, 10
    Lateral Raises 10, 10

8. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I'm up to about a buck 85 now, but the same bf%ish that I was. This is kind of good, but I want to lose BF%! Oh well I'm not really in the mindset to do that right now.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    How's your thumb? I'm guessing it must be feeling better since you've been lifting since you dislocated it.

10. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

It still hurts when I try to crack it but other than that it's alright, no pain or anything. Thanks for askin'.

I can't decide: spend two-three weeks getting ripped as all get out, or eat like a behemoth and get strong as all get out, lol. I'm certain if I dropped my kcals to 2kish, kept sprinting, and did my workouts, I'd drop ten lbs pretty quickly, but I don't know if I have the willpower right now to do that. :confused:

11. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

New plan of action: Get ripped-as-all-get-out then squat to the max. I forecast a 4 week cutting cycle followed by my first semester of college on a slow bulk with a focus on legs and squats, but also focused on overall hypertrophy.

I will be following http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1589833 for the next four weeks, probably with some added sprints(I know I'm insane, this schedule looks brutal.) Honestly I'm not too worried about calorie intake during this, as these workouts look to be burning sooo many calories, and soooo much EPOC. I'll probably not eat quite as much, but I'm not going to pass up food purposely or pass up dates with girls(which have been falling into my lap recently :confused: :eek:.)

Then the plan is probably a squat specialization program with some added volume, as most people train with way too little volume IMO. Tomorrow is the first day of this program, those rdl snatches look PAINFUL I'm not looking forward to 3x15 with them >.<

12. Emily

Emily Active Member

Sounds like a pretty rough game of smear the queer! Hope your bod is almost fully recovered. Since you are a track star, and I am going to become a cardio-bot once work starts up again (I will lift, but not as heavy, because I only have access to limited weights at work), I was wondering if you could offer some tips for me...especially with shin splints in mind. I built up pretty well when I was hooked on my Nike+ in the winter, but, since I have taken some time off of running, I don't wanna risk injury. Lemme know!

Em

13. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Well the most common cause of shin splints is a muscle imbalance between your larger back calves and the smaller front muscles. I know a lot of people do marble exercises to fix this, which is they pick a marble up with their toes, and with their heel on the ground, put the marble into a cup.

14. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

RANT INCOMING

QUIT BEING AFRAID OF OVERTRAINING

Everyone always uses overtraining as an excuse to not add more volume, try harder, use more intensity, etc etc etc. It takes A LOT of exercise before you start overtraining, and the signs are everywhere long before it gets unrepairable. The real thing to focus on is to make sure one is eating enough, because the only sure way to lead to overtraining are those crash diets, with 0 cals and lots of exercise. If eating correctly, though, it is very hard to overtrain. This past track season I was doing 5km runs in the morning, 60 minutes of weights with intensity, and a hard sprint workout in the afternoon, and I wasn't even close to overtraining and, in fact, felt better than I ever have. My coach used to do four training sessions a day, 3 consisting of a bike session, running session, and swimming session, then weights at night. He said all you really have to do is eat a lot.

So in conclusion: in most cases doing more is better, for overall health.

15. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I have become com-for-tably numb. That song was on after that first RFFL workout, and it was very fitting. That workout was very mind-numbingly hard, my heart felt like it was going to explode a couple times. The way they have that workout set up you would think they are like evil scientists or something. Honestly I don't think I could eat enough to counteract the kcals burned in that workout.

16. dluc

dluc Active Member

I agree. I think some people are afraid to push it in terms of volume, but I say if you're eating enough, go for it. Just my opinion though. We all have our own training methods.

17. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

<3. Waterbury came out with a cool mass program advocating HEAVY volume, excellent.

Well the mybodycomp.com thing gives me 13.22% bf, my calipers give me 7.5 bf using the 7 point, and my handheld thingy gives me 9.5, I'll just average them. I think my BF% is actually fairly low, I just have a lot of excess skin from losing a lot of weight :confused:.
    That gives me an average of 10%, which is close to what I think I am, I believe I'm in the 9.5-9.0ish range, but this method kind of takes into account a lot, so I'll stick with it.

18. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I'll get a better pic tommorow, forgive the blank stare and slouch, I just woke up =). I'll get some poses tommorow.

#38 Big_D, Jun 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  19. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Workout yesterday

Weighted Chins 5, 5, 4 with 50 lbs
    Weighted dips 5, 5, 3, 2 with 100 lbs
    Curls 3x8 supersetted with skullcrushers 3x8 supersetted with close grip bench 3x8
    abwork
    trunk twists, dragon flags, plank, medicine ball sit ups, side sit ups.

20. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Havn't been updating this, still been working out though. Squat is going up a lot, as are most other lifts. Got the idea from betastas to do bench lockouts today and got 555, cool eh?