1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Big Squats

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Big_D, May 20, 2007.

1. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

This is my new summer journal, school has wound up and I'll be working 40ish hours a week, eating, and lifting. Track ended on a sour note, with me being one spot off of state for discus and not even close for shot put. If I had run the open 200 I would have placed in state, but the coach wouldn't let me run it for some reason. Oh well HS sports are finished, and I'm finished with them. I leave that place having accomplished absolutely nothing :lol:.

I graduate Friday and I'm pretty excited about that. On to the goal of the journal.

This summer I'm going to focus on leg strength and power. I havn't squatted or deadlifted heavy in almost 8 months now, so it's time to get back there. I suffered a lower back injury and then did not want to start squatting during track season, as I would be too sore to do anything for the entire track season. Now that track is over I've started squatting again, and worked my way up to a set of 5x315 today. I have a weird problem when I squat, though. It feels like my legs have enough power, but when I'm in the hole I end up GMing it up, which is probably a reason for some of the core injuries I've had. I'll be working on form as well. By the end of the summer I want to be back where I was before I got injured, in the 450-475 range on both squats and deads. I will probably be adding a ME day here and there for bench, so I don't stagnate, but it won't be my primary focus.

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Anytime I see a thread entitled "Big Squats" it captures my interest :nod:

For your squat problem, try positioning the bar a little lower on your traps and get your elbows close to your sides while pinching your shoulder blades together.

Good luck with your journal and in meeting your goals. :tucool:

3. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Thanks mastover, I'll give that a try.

As for being sick, I apparently have Giardia. It's some kind of parasite you get from drinking dirty water, and it is indeed unpleasant. I will probably go to the doctor tommorow and try to get some anti-parasite medication so I don't have to put up with the explosive side effects of this illness:-)mad::moon:).

4. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Bring your elbows forward under the bar on the way out of the hole. Keep your eyes focussed on the same spot on the wall about 2 feet above your standing eye level. I have the exact same issue with my squatting and this is definitely helping to remove the problem.

5. dluc

dluc Active Member

Hey D! I was wondering where you were. Glad to have you back on the boards buddy:tu: Goodluck squatting!

6. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

So push my elbows forward coming out of the hole? Is this to help keep a big chest? I'll definitely try that :tucool:. How did your surgery go?

Thanks dluc, what are your plans this summer? Cutting, bulking, what?

7. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:nod:

It "lifts" the chest and sets you up into a good position to drive the barbell backward and upward out of the hole. Combine that trick with the visual of driving your heels through the floor (almost like a "stomp" without ever moving your feet) and you should be able to completely fix the GMing problem.

#7 chicanerous, May 24, 2007
    Last edited: May 24, 2007
  8. betastas

Terrible.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congratulations on tomorrow's graduation and good luck with your summer squatting goals.

What type of work are you going to be doing this summer?

10. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

hey man.. I think getting even one position lower than State is an accomplishment, it's better than I ever did :p of course I didn't do track, I did cross country *idiot that I am* I HATE long distance running... I would have been better at track... oh well.. too late for any of that now ;) lol

Congrats on graduating :claphigh:.... have fun tomorrow :madpimp:

and good luck with your squat program... but... umm... call me silly but, uh... what is GMing? and a ME day? I'm a bit slow with the acronyms :D

11. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

GMing = Good Morning-ing. I guess he means that when he's in the deep position of the squat, he leans forward, straightens his legs and then raises his back, similar to the movement of a good morning.

ME = Max Effort, it's a powerlifting technique where you start a workout by lifting heavy shit :cool:

12. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

ooooooooohhh... okay... thanks gazareth ;)

13. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey Big_D, congratulations on Graduation tomorrow. That's exciting. :claphigh::claphigh::bow::bow: I think I told you that I'm a school board member and our graduation is in two weeks, the 8th. We just found out the HS principal is retiring this year so it will be interesting so see what the seniors do to him.:nod:

14. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Sounds good, I've got deads today though, so I'm excited =). With squats, my legs are strong enough, it just feels like my core collapses almost, so this technique should help. When I do quarter squats, the bar clears my shoulders by 6-10 inches. Is it normal to have that much more power in that ROM?
    Sorry to hear that man! What's the plan of action now, then?

Thanks Paul. I'll probably be working at the local supermarket, bagboy lol. I looked for a more prestigious job, but it's pretty tight around here right now, so it's looking like I'm your new local bagboy. Oh well, its money for college.

Thanks, the problem was, what I SHOULD have been throwing would have made and possibly won state. My coach said I have the best form for the worst throws ever, lol. Oh well, now I know I'm not meant to be a thrower.

Thanks carguy. Yeah I think you told me something like that. Our principal is being forcibly retired as he is really bad, so we'll see if anyone even cares that he's leaving, lol.

15. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

EZ workout today, but satisfying. I'm sore from weighted pull ups and higher rep benching, heh.

DL : 225x5 fast, 315x5, 355x5x2
    Dragon flags: 1x5(Have to work back up on these)

I felt my spinal erectors fatiguing, gotta be careful there. Grip was the biggest problem today, dropped it twice at the top.

16. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah, but you don't want to use that much power at the top of the movement without loading enough weight on the barbell because the constant shifting of the barbell as well as the snap to extension with the knees puts your joints and spine at risk. So, remember to decelerate and "take it easy" on your body. If you want to explode through the top then switch to a jump squat, so that the barbell and you stay as one unit and you can reabsorb the force better.

I'm definitely guilty of this as well though. To people who haven't developed this habit, it seems silly, but, once you get into it, it's hard not to cut back the power. It's not actually an issue of having excess strength or power -- everyone who trains regularly with a larger ROM can do this -- but an issue with mindset / habit.

BTW, check out this video of Natalie Woolfolk doing concentric jump squats: http://mikesgym.org/gallery/video/nat%20jump%20sqt.mov

#16 chicanerous, May 24, 2007
    Last edited: May 24, 2007
  17. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

We had to do jump pause squats towards the end of track, those are tough, lol.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A more prestigious job. :confused: Don't sweat the position, as you wrote it's money for college and virtually everyone I know, no matter what their adult profession is, started out with a job not worthy of being classified as prestigious. Certainly not me and I turned out okay, I think. Opinions on that may differ. :lol:

Lastly, I have to second what Chameleon wrote. Even being considered for the states is an accomplishment and there are many, many who would have liked to be in that situation. Don't sell yourself short, you're doing great!

19. dluc

dluc Active Member

I worked for a moving company the summer before I went off to school, and let me tell you that I would rather be a bagboy:lol:

20. betastas

More surgery and additional lengthy recovery. It's all in my journal.