1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Big Beyond Belief

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by justingodin, Jun 24, 2005.

1. justingodin

justingodin Well-Known Member

**Measurements/Body Fat/Weight coming: Sunday
    **Comparison pics coming: After one-two months of progress on the program

Big Beyond Belief Diet:

I'm somewhat carb sensitive. I believe to be so, because I tend to look very bloated after I injest a large amount of carbs in one sitting, without lifting before or after eating them.

The basis of my diet is just adding more protein to my existing diet (just to start). I am adding about 250 calories a day to my current diet (all in the form of protein).

This is MY DIET! I know what my body responds to. Do not follow what I'm doing. Or say "That's too much/not enough..." I know myself somewhat well by now, and I have a good feeling this is what I need.

Diet: (as of 6-24-05)

I separate my carbs and fats at every meal. I only eat fat/protein or protein/carbs in one sitting. I believe in the post-workout insulin spike, and will eat/drink the majority of my carbs then. For the rest of the day, I will stick to vegetables, and protein/fat meals.

Proteins
    -Whey Protein Powder
    -Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
    -8% Fat Ground Turkey
    -50% Reduced Sodium Tuna
    -Egg Whites (over TWENTY A DAY! Wal Mart sells 18 count, large eggs for $0.88 right now)
    -Lactaid 100% Lactose Free Non Fat Cottage Cheese

Carbs
    -Broccoli
    -Cauliflower
    -Oatmeal
    -Apples
    -Sweet Potatoes
    -Grits
    -Dextrose Sugar

Fats
    -Flax Oil
    -Olive Oil
    -Walnuts
    Buttery Spread, with Flax Oil

I will be eating 9 times a day on lifting days:
    Six actual meals
    One Post-workout shake
    One Apple before lifting
    One serving of cottage cheese minutes before bed (Low Lactose is the key! No bloat!)

I will be eating 8 times a day on non-lifting days, once every two hours.

Supplements:

Multivitamin

-Ephedra HCL (25 MG)
    Caffeine (200 MG)
    Will be taken prior to morning cardio. I have a hard time getting my heart rate up to my target "fat burning" zone of 150 BPM without it.

All The Whey Protein Powder
    Strawberry Isolate (taken after lifting)
    Chocolate Mint Blend (taken the rest of the day)
    Milk Protein Isolate (taken at night, on non-training days)
    The big thing I love about AllTheWhey is all the glutamine and other important Amino Acids in each serving of the whey. I will be needing plenty of these with this lifting routine.

Kent Nutrition:
    ALA
    ALCAR
    Green Tea Turbo

I plan on buying ETS from AtLargeNutrition in about a month (I'm such a sponsor whore today).

Training Schedule:

Sunday: Lift, day # 1
    Monday: Lift, day # 2
    Tuesday: 30 Minutes Morning Cardio
    Wednesday: 30 Minutes Morning Cardio
    Thursday: Lift, day # 3
    Friday: Lift, day # 4
    Saturday: 30 Minutes Morning Cardio

I will be weighing in every Sunday. Once in the morning at my home scale, and once after lifting on the better scale at my gym.

I will be measuring my muscle progress every Sunday morning.

The way BBB works is it takes the body on the verge of over-training before pulling you out of it, and on to something else. A lot of this program is based on feel, and knowing when you're overtraining, and when you are hitting your "growth zones." For this reason, I have really increased my protein.

Goals:
    I am on this program to gain size. Strength is secondary, but a decent side effect of the program. Lifting heavy is not something I am really interested in at this point, or most likely, any point in my life. I'd much rather look good, and be able to walk later on in life, pain-free, as opposed to chasing PR's and killing my joints and tendons in the process.

I will have more updates on Sunday. You will quickly catch on to what the program does. I'm not looking to give the entire program away here. Although anyone could probably figure out the secret if they tried.

Thanks for reading!

#1 justingodin, Jun 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  2. justingodin

Day 2- Sunday: June 26th, 2005

Ramp 1, Week 1, Day 1.

Barbell Rows (Wide Grip): (95) x 15 (105) x 15

DB Flat Bench: (55) x 15, (60) x 14, 14
    Chin Ups: (BW) x 13

DB Hammer Curls: (25) x 15, (30) x 14, 14

Hack Squat Calf Raise (Knees Locked): (270) x 15, 15 (290) x 15

Barbell Shrugs: (205) x 15

Training Time: 24 Minutes

-All sets taken to absolute failure (unless I hit 15 reps, then I upped the weight the next set).
    -Sets taken through target range of motion, so as to keep all pressure, focus, and tension placed on the muscle being worked. (EX: Bench press. I did not lock out, etc.).
    -Rest Times 2 Minutes.

The goal is to keep all workouts under 45 minutes. It was easy this week. It will get harder to come under 45. More supersetting then.

The program purposely takes your body TOWARD overtraining instead of away from it. A taboo subject if there ever was one on this board, I know.

How it works is:

-It uses various RAMPS that you stay in for a given period
    -Each ramp increases volume of training, while decreasing reps, and rest times
    -You have to know the difference between overtraining, and not. So it's pretty advanced. You HAVE to know when your body is about to go over the edge, so that you change ramps before you overtrain.
    -The purpose is the theory that your body makes its best gains just before you push yourself over the edge. So you are constantly "Ramping" from each week according to how you feel/are lifting.

Sunday Morning Weigh in: 176
    Sunday After Lifting: 179 (taken at 6:00pm)
    Weight last week: 177.5 (after lifting)

Body fat to come. No one was available at work to measure me.

Measurements (taken Saturday Morning):
    Chest: 38 inches
    Neck: 15 inches
    Calves: 15.75 inches
    Arms: 14.25 inches(flexed)
    Thighs: 22.5 inches
    Hips: 34 inches
    Waist: 32 inches

#2 justingodin, Jun 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  3. justingodin

Day 3- Monday: June 27th, 2005

Ramp 1, Week 1, Day 2 (of 4).

Squat: (185) x 15 (195) x 15

Arnold Press: (45) x 15 (50) x 14, 13
    Rear Delt Raise: (12) x 15

Stiff Legged DB Deadlifts: (65) x 15

Bench Dips: (80) x 15 (85) x 15 (90) x 13
    Weighted Crunches: (30,40,45) x 15

Training Time: 23 Minutes
    __________________________________________________ _______

-All sets taken to absolute failure (unless I hit 15 reps, then I upped the weight the next set).
    -Sets taken through target range of motion, so as to keep all pressure, focus, and tension placed on the muscle being worked. (EX: Bench press. I did not lock out, etc.).
    -Rest Times 2 Minutes.

4. justingodin

Day 6- Thursday: June 30th, 2005

Ramp 1, Week 1, Day 3 (of 4).

Stiff Legged DB Deadlifts: (70) x 12 (80) x 12

Barbell Rows (Wide Grip): (110) x 12 (115) x 12
    DB Flat Bench: (60) x 12 (65) x 12 (70) x 12

Squat: (205) x 12
    Bench Dips: (95) x 12
    Chin Ups: (BW) x 10

DB Hammer Curls: (30) x 12
    Hack Squat Calf Raise (Knees Unlocked): (320) x 12 (340) x 12
    Arnold Press: (50) x 12
    Barbell Shrugs: (215) x 12

Training Time: 22 Minutes

-All sets taken to absolute failure (unless I hit 12 reps, then I upped the weight the next set).
    -Rest Times 2 Minutes.

The reason I have not updated before this is simple:

This program really knocks you out the first few days. I felt like I was floating through the first couple of days. I lifted Sunday/Monday, and have Tuesday/Wednesday as my "off days." Leading up to Thursday, when I trained again, I was tired, and felt very slugish. I was just choking the food down, and felt like I wanted to sleep all day.

Now, today (Friday), I am full of energy again. I am noticing a positive change in my body already. My chest is looking terrific, and I now will be looking forward to my weekly measurments and, in a few weeks, pictures. More than that, I am finally feeling hungry again!

The purpose of Big Beyond Belief is to train the muscles with the same amount of failure sets... split over 3 days. So instead of doing one day of Chest, with 9 sets. You do 3 sets of chest, split over 3 out of the 4 training days.

5. justingodin

Day 7- Friday: July 1st, 2005

Ramp 1, Week 1, Day 4 (of 4).

Squat: (210) x 10 (215) x 10

Barbell Shrugs: (225) x 10
    Bench Dips: (100) x 10
    Bent Over DB Shrugs: (60) x 10
    Chin Ups: (BW) x 10

DB Flat Bench: (75) x 8,7 (70) x 7
    Barbell Rows (Wide Grip): (115) x 10 (120) x 9

Hack Squat Calf Raise (Knees Locked): (360) x 10 (410) x 10
    DB Hammer Curls: (35) x 10
    Arnold Press: (50) x 10

Training Time: 21 Minutes

-All sets taken to absolute failure (unless I hit 10 reps, then I upped the weight the next set).
    -Rest Times 2 Minutes.

This Sunday, we begin week 2!

6. justingodin

Day 9- Sunday: July 3rd, 2005

Ramp 1, Week 2, Day 1 (of 4).

DB Bench: (60) x 15, (65) x 15, (70) x 8, (65) x 13
    Barbell Row: (115) x 15, (125) x 14
    Bicep Curl Machine: (50,60,70,80) x 15
    Pulldowns: (100) x 15, 15

Seated Calf Raise: (45,55,65,75) x 15
    Barbell Shrugs: (265) x 12, (245) x 14

Training Time: 24 Minutes

-Rest Times: 90 seconds.

Sunday Morning Weigh in: 178/ Last Week: 176
    Sunday After Lifting: 179.5/ Last Week: 179

My energy levels are soaring! I am finally back to "normal."

#6 justingodin, Jul 3, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  7. justingodin

Day 10- Monday: July 4th, 2005

Ramp 1, Week 2, Day 2 (of 4).

Stiff Legged Deadlifts: (185) x 15 (190) x 13, 13
    Rear Delt Raise: (10) x 15, (12) x 15
    Tricep Dips: (BW) x 15, (10) x 15, (25) x 15

Squat: (215) x 15

Machine Military Press: (80) x 15 (90) x 13, 8 (80) x 14
    Weighted Crunches: (50,55,60) x 15
    Candles: Flat Bench Leg Raises: (BW) x 15

Training Time: 25 Minutes

-Rest Times: 90 seconds.

TO finish, I did the military press, combined with the ab work straight time, with no rest. That's two exercises, four sets each, non-stop. I felt like just collapsing after that. Which is exactly what I would want.

It's amazing how just adding one set to each body part makes the workouts seem like they last so much longer. If you look at my training time... it is just about the same as I have been averaging, but I did about five extra sets in that same time frame.

If you couldn't tell, I love, love, LOVE quick workouts.

8. justingodin

Day 12- Wednesday: July 6th, 2005

Sleep.

It is very important.

Women.

They are also very important.

You can have one, but usually not the other. Really, you could say your success with one completely depends on how poorly the other one is doing.

I have been an 8 hour of sleep guy for the past three years, since I started my initial successful weight loss transformation. My body has appreciated all this sleep and rest I have given my body.

Not so coincidentally, I have been single all of this time.

It has been by choice. Once I started my weight loss I just stayed in my room, and only came out to work, buy groceries, or train. Well, if you couldn't guess by now, I have met someone truly amazing.

I have, up until this point, been very anti-relationship. This is the product of experiencing my dad go through two messy divorces. For most of my life, I believed that every relationship was doomed to fail, eventually.

I carried this attitude with me, even with my own potential girlfriends. In the past 4 years, I have dated, and "hooked up" with 5 or 6 different girls. Each one was treated with a very distant "well this isn't going to last, so who cares" attitude. I know that wasn't fair to the girls' feelings, so that is why I would usually cut off all contact with them before they got too attached.

There is no worse feeling in life then having the same break up over and over, and always being called a coward for not taking any chances in life.

Enter Jessi.

She has seriously changed my outlook on life, and I will always appreciate her for that. Everything suddenly seems less important, unless I can share it with her. My problems don't seem all that bad anymore, because being away from her hurts worse than any "problem" could. She makes waking up a joyous event, and makes going to bed a hard battle to say good bye.

If you think what I'm saying is sappy, then you are in my old shoes. I used to think people like me were pathetic. Constantly calling or texting their lady about every little thing. Walking around smiling thinking about "her." If the old me, met the new me, I'd laugh at the new "softer" version of myself.

If anyone is at all familiar with me, you would know how dedicated I am to changing my physique/improving it:

I never miss one of my 8-9 scheduled meals.
    I never miss a day of weights.
    I never miss my supplements.
    I never miss my cardio sessions...

whoops.

Yep. I haven't done cardio. Yesterday, I was all prepared to do my cardio, but I was pleasantly surprised to find Jessi was awake at 6:00am... so that session went out the window. Today, my head is slamming because I was up until 2:00am (a time I haven't seen in almost 3 years) talking to her. So cardio was out again.

Luckily Big Beyond Belief doesn't really push cardio, other than for general heart health. I, more than anyone know not to make excuses, but if there is one program out there that can support losing bodyfat, while gaining muscle WITHOUT cardio... this is it.

I had my bodyfat measured on Saturday... 6.77% at 180 pounds.

Now there could be human error in that number, but even if you go up 2%, I'm still sub 10... while "bulking." I have literally gotten thinner because my body is using all of the nutrients I give it toward recovery/growth. It's a good little system if you can handle the pain, and if you can get some sleep.

9. justingodin

Day 20- Thursday: July 14th, 2005

Ramp 1, Week 3, Day 3 (of 4).

Ok, here we go...

Squat: (165) x 12
    Shrug Machine: (230) x 12
    Barbell Curl: (50) x 12
    Machine Flyes: (70) x 12
    Ham Curl: (110) x 12
    Pulldown: (120) x 12

(Break #1)

Machine Shrug: (200) x 12
    Ham Curl: (125) x 12
    Machine Flyes: (90) x 12
    Pulldown: (135) x 12
    Tricep Flat Extension: (60) x 12
    Machine Shrug: (200) x 12
    Ham Curl: (125) x 12
    Pulldown: (135) x 11
    Standing Calf Raise: (90) x 12
    Ham Curl: (140) x 10
    DB Shoulder Press: (50) x 12
    Standing Calf Raise: (150) x 12
    2 Arm DB Rows: (40) x 12
    Bench: (115) x 12
    2 Arm DB Rows: (42.5) x 12
    Bench: (125) x 12

(Break #2)

Bench: (125) x 12

Total sets: 23
    Training Time: 31 Minutes

-All sets taken to absolute failure (unless I hit 12 reps, then I upped the weight the next set).
    -Rest Times 90 Seconds

I don't sweat often.

I think you can assume today's workout changed that. The third (and final) ramp involves the most sets, and the instructions not to go over 45 minutes. Personally, I don't want to go any longer than 30. So rest wasn't an option today.

It was a great workout. I have joined a new company, in my personal training career, and tonight was the first time I worked out there. It is an amazing facility... and so big! I know I'm going to love working out there.

Anyway, after my workout, I was given what I'm sure he thought was a compliment. See, a new co-worker of mine and I were talking, and he made the comment that it looks like I have a solid "base" and that people better look out in a few years. I always looked at being told you have a good "base" as an insult. Like they're saying I don't look like anything, and I might if I stick with it.

My weight through the years:

May 2000 (Age 16)- 225
    Out of shape, never touched a weight

November 2002 (Age 18)- 215
    Start of weight loss transformation. It consisted of 70 minutes on the treadmill EVERY DAY, and less than 1500 calories. No weight training.

April 2003 (Age 18)- 145
    End of weight loss transformation (went on Atkins for the last month... dropped a lot of water weight). Most of my muscle is gone. This is why weights are so important. I decided to add weights in.

June 2003 (Age 19)- 160
    Off Atkins, a few months into weight training. Initial gains come. Unfortunately, my form isn't what it needs to be as I look to lift heavier, not better. I still keep carbs low, fearing I would lose my "abs."

November 2003 (Age 19)- 190
    In the midst of my first "Bulking Diet." I had no clue what I was doing. My volume was too high (which is funny if you look at what I do now), and I failed at 4-6 reps EVERY TIME. My workouts routinely lasted over an hour. Just too much ground and pound, and my body wasn't mature enough to handle that then.

That 190 pound weight was not very good. I was eating "clean" but I was eating the wrong things, in the wrong order, at the wrong times. As well, I wasn't doing cardio due to being so run down from overtraining. So I had too much extra weight.

May 2004 (Age 20)- 170
    I had stuck at this weight for a while. To get to this point, I did far too much cardio, and the wrong kind of cardio (for me), and still didn't know how to "diet." It was around this time I discovered the beliefs of SwoleCat. He would be a great influence in how I approached my eating, and how to make what I ate help me, not hurt me.

August 2004 (Age 20)- 165
    Started SwoleCat's Bulking program.

April 2005 (Age 20)- 190
    Finished Swole's bulking program. Started Swolegenix.

Last week of June 2005 (Age 21)- 175
    Stopped SwoleCat's Swolegenix. Decided I would use the next 3-4 years as a continuous bulk. Then when i have amassed enough muscle mass, I would start a bodybuilding precontest diet to get my abs out.

Start of Big Beyond Belief.

Mid July 2005 (Age 21)- 182

I am looking to become a monster. Or, as much of a monster as my body will naturally allow me to become. I have no desires to ever compete in a bodybuilding comp... but I still want to be as big as the natural competitors are.