1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

BF guestimation, please

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by scorpiosnow, Aug 4, 2004.

1. scorpiosnow

scorpiosnow Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I would really appreciate it if you could help me estimate my body fat %. Bodyfat calculator says i'm at ~23% with a 37.5 inch waist, although this is measured around my belly button (not sure if this is the right place for waist measurement). Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scorpiosnow

Oh yeah, right now I'm 5' 10" tall and weigh 184 lbs. I used to weigh 198 and went down to 190 rather quickly once I changed my eating habits. I've noticed some overall fat loss, but really I look almost exactly like I did at 198, just a little less bloated.

3. scorpiosnow

Lots of views so far but no responses... Am I not providing enough info? Do I need to lose the shorts?

4. PhilipDC78

PhilipDC78 Well-Known Member

Probably because we don't feel like we are qualified to make a guess. I am an new at the fitness thing, only just starting at the end May. However, as imperfect as my guess may be, I am around 27% body fat right now, and you definately look like you have less fat than me, so around 23% doesn't seem to be too far off in my opinion. Then again, I have no idea, but wanted to let you know why I, and probably many haven't responded.

5. rwkates

rwkates Well-Known Member

body fat

I doubt that you are at 23%. That seems awfully high. I'm at 16% and you look like you're probably less than that. Get a tape measure and go to www.mybodycomp.com. It's simple to figure out.

6. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

I actually think that the 23% is probably a fairly accurate guess. It's easier to guess the lower somebody is, I think, so don't go looking for an exact number, but you're not lower than 20 IMO.

7. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

18-22%, look around the net, there are many calulators, you might try. Then take an average. Best thing at home is calipers.

8. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

My guess is 16-18%

I think 23% is kinda high, and also that measurement is probably done w/ a 3 point rather than 7point skinfold caliper, so IMO the 3pt alwyas gives much higher readouts than 7pt.

9. scorpiosnow

Cool, thanks a lot for the replies, everyone. The 23% actually did come from several websites and not from calipers....I had my BF done with calipers but I know the guy wasn't doing it right, so I just threw it out. 23% seemed kind of high to me also.... the pictures don't really show it, but I do have somewhat wide shoulders for my height and pretty good muscle mass for not having lifted seriously in the past 3 months. 14.5" biceps baby. :P

10. QuikZ06

QuikZ06 Well-Known Member

My thoughts were of 16-18% also, as I am 23% and you are thinner than me.

11. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

I would say higher then 16. But not 23. I have a mate who was measured at 23 proffessionally and you are thinner then him.

My guess is 18/19%

12. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member