1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Best freakin' beef jerky EVER

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Felony Melanie, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Felony Melanie

Felony Melanie Well-Known Member

This is my dad's recipe, he would flip if he knew I was sharing it!

Seriously, this is the best beef jerky you'll ever have. After having this, store-bought beef jerky will be a joke.

Perfect snack, any time of day...I can't stop eating it :eek:

Start out with some kind of lean, boneless meat. I have used london broil before; the last batch I made I used boneless bottom round. Whatever you get, ask the butcher to cut it as thin as possible. Then, you'll want to cut it into strips about 1.5 - 2 in. wide. Trim off all visible fat.

MARINADE
    In a big bowl, mix together:
    2 c. soy sauce (I used lite soy sauce and the jerky still tasted awesome)
    1/2 c. liquid smoke (hickory)
    1/3 c. worcestershire
    1 c. brown sugar (could prolly reduce this if you wanted)
    1 T garlic powder
    1 T onion powder
    1 T crushed red pepper
    1 T black pepper

Sometimes I get creative and toss some teriyaki in there :)

Then you lay the jerky meat in the bowl in a criss-cross fashion.
    So you'll lay maybe 4 pieces in like this ||||

And the next four like this:
    __
    __
    __
    __

And so forth. It's probably best to let the meat soak overnight in the fridge...but if you just can't wait, a couple hours works too.

I have used a couple different dehydrators, and by far the best are anything by Excalibur. My dad has been using the same Excalibur dehydrator for 20+ years, and it stills turns out awesome beef jerky. I got an old one on Ebay for about $100 and it works like a charm.

Whatever type of dehydrator you have, the temp needs to be at 145 F. Depending on how moist or dry you like your jerky, the time will vary. I leave mine in anywhere from 8-10 hours. You can reserve some of the marinade to spoon over the jerky as it is dehydrating. Also, about halfway through, you will want to rotate the shelves so those furthest away from the heat source are now closer, and vice versa. Also flip over the individual pieces of jerky.

So, that's it! If you end up using this recipe, let me know what you think of it :)

2. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

Flank steak works best because it has no fat.

Also, you can set your oven to warm and put it on a cooling rack in the oven..emeril suggests leaving the oven door open, I do not.

3. Dorvaan

Dorvaan Well-Known Member

Minus the crushed red pepper, you have nailed my recipe to a "T". And you're right. This makes AWESOME jerky!

4. TheLemonSong

hoisin makes a great marinade and so does any bbq sauce

5. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

ANY BBQ sauce that isn't chock full of HFCS! Better off making yourself.

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Oooh, I'm looking forward to this - might have to "borrow" my dad's dehydrator next time I go home for the weekend.

Thanks FM!

7. TheLemonSong

If you don't use much BBQ sauce, who cares how many HFCS is in it? It's about portion size and calories not ingredients.:eat:

8. jim331656

jim331656 Well-Known Member

Alton Brown makes his jerky with a box fan and some furnace filters. Seemed to work really good.

9. TheLemonSong

Homeboy is MacGuyver reincarnate!

10. SLOTH

SLOTH Well-Known Member

I was trying to make jerky for a while. I even bought a dehydrator and a jerky gun. The gun is cool it is like a caulking gun. You grind up the meat and squirt it onto the racks. I'll try the recipe. By the way, Felony Melanie will you marry me? You like videogames, jerky, and so do I. Marry Sloth. Make Sloth complete

11. jim331656

jim331656 Well-Known Member

yeah he is. He is the man. I like the scientific approach

12. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

I have never heard of no fat flank steak. Care to show us where such a thing exists.

13. TheLemonSong

At my grocery store the sell flank steak with no marbling and just a tiny bit of fat that is easily removed.

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefB&F.html

That link shows what the flank steak I buy looks like. Some superficial fat on the top that easily comes off, and otherwise entirley lean.

You may be confusing flank steak with skirt steaks if you don't think flank steaks with negligible fat exists.

14. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

I had to look it up because I didnt know exactly but a broiled six ounce(fair serving size?) serving has 14g of fat while 6g are saturated. A nice split between saturated and mono for all that protein. I eat red meat regularly and I was surprised it was that low but the part that threw me was when you has said "no fat". You are talking about marbling and I was refering to the amount of fat per serving.

Now to completly derail...I marinade my flank steaks in pineapple juice, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and a few others. Flank steak is by far my favorite to marinade and toss on the grill.

15. TheLemonSong

Oh oh! I was going to say...theres pretty much *nothing* white on the whole flank steak except a bit on the top that comes off really easily...the other thing to keep in mind is to *always!!!!!!* cut against the grain w/ flank steak!