1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Credit Card that offers Points/Rewards?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Zoetastic, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

My bad, I misunderstood you. Apologies.

2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm an atheist.

Well, then share your thoughts.

3. Brian Golden

Brian Golden Well-Known Member

Invaluable is a bad word. How about a necessary evil?

I own one credit card, pay my bills on time, and have excellent credit. So in this regard, my credit card is not evil whatsoever, though my credit card company tries to mess with my bill. My secret, actually keeping track of my bill every month and never paying more than I should.

4. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

:eek: i never check my bill...

i think this was just my wake up call, Zerone. :nod:

so do you just keep all your receipts until it's time to double check?

5. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

I'd like to know what DFS has to say as well. I work at a car dealership and I just recently learned from one of the General Sales Managers / Finance Managers that your credit score doesn't mean dick shit when it comes to a car loan. One of the other sales guys there, who was in the mortgage business for five years also said that credit score doesn't mean dick shit there either. Both industries, they claim, have different ways of determining your worthiness that aren't related to FICO.

This really pissed me off since I've been working pretty hard at that. It really makes me wonder what the hell the point is. So I, also, would like to hear DFS' claims on it.

6. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

Wow, I've never had people yearn for my thoughts on anything before. It's a cool feeling. :)

No, in all seriousness, my thoughts are not complex or a secret. Dave Ramsey's thoughts are exactly my thoughts, and you can hear him on the radio in your area, watch his program at night on the FOX Business Network (FBN), or buy any of his books to learn what he has to say about anything and everything financial.

Basically, I will only ever borrow money again in my entire lifetime to purchase a home. FICO is not needed at all. I simply have to find a mortgage company that does manual underwriting and I'm set. (In reality I'm set because of my stupidity pre Dave Ramsey with credit cards and the fact that I actually DO have a great FICO score, but that's neither here nor there and will eventually go away.) I will NEVER borrow for a car!!! Borrowing money for a depreciating asset = INSANE IN MY OPINION!!! I'm paying for my wedding AND honeymoon in CASH...everything!!! My fiance and I have worked our butts to the ground and saved an ass load of money for it. She has 4 goddamn jobs and myself 2. By the way, it's one month from today...YAY!

Dave always references studies that show people who pay for things with credit cards overspend. When you use cash it's a mental thing, when you actually have to hand that money to someone it's tougher to "let it go" and you tend to buy less frivolous items. My fiance is first hand proof of this. When we do our monthly budget and we each get our spending money she hates to actually spend it cause she knows when it's gone, no more until next month. :) We run a tight ship. Doing a monthly budget is a MUST! Before, when she was using the debit or credit cards she would virtually spend so much at stupid places like Wal-Mart or whatever. No more.

As far as rewards points, my debit card offers them and we have a separate account set up called 'CARS' that I transfer the monthly budgeted money into for gas and whatnot. We use the debit card for gas, oil changes, etc. and receive points for that. That's the only time we ever pull a card out of our wallets and actually the only card we carry.

Look, bottom line is Dave Ramsey's thoughts are my thoughts. If you really want to know how to handle finances/credit cards/etc. then in my opinion there is no one out there better than him. :tu:

7. vanDutton

vanDutton Active Member

I'm with DFS on this one. I also have a great credit score from my past. It's actually in the top 10% of the nation, and I don't even use credit anymore, and haven't for a year. I would rather pay cash for everything, simply because when it's cash, I don't have to worry about overdraft fees and the like if I lose track of what I've spent. No cash - no buy.

8. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

I actually look forward to the day when my FICO is zero. I think that will be mad cool to tell people! :D

Convo:

Random person - "Hey man, what's your credit score?"

Me - "My score's a zero."

Random person - "ZERO! How do you get a loan and/or a good interest rate?"

Me - "I don't borrow money, so I don't worry about it."

Random person - "How do you buy stuff?"

Me - "I pay cash."

Random person now has a dumb confused look on their face and conversation is over.

Oh how I can't wait!!! :claphigh::claphigh::claphigh: