1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Chicago Pizza?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by BJ, Mar 25, 2010.

1. BJ

BJ Active Member

I'm heading to Chicago next week for work... any recommendations on the best pizza in Chicago?

(let's just say I'll be off of my diet for a day!) :drool::eat:

The recommendations I have so far are:

Gino's East
    Lou Malnati's
    Giordano's

I'm only going for pizza once... so what's the best?

2. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

Giordano's is spectacular!

3. BJ

BJ Active Member

Any particular topping combination that's a favorite?

4. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

The only acceptable pizza for me (and bagels too for that matter) are in this great little place just outside of Chicago...it's called New York. :)

Growing up in Long Island with an awesome pizza or bagel shop on every corner was a luxury we never realized. When we moved here to PA clearly we had underestimated just how bad a pizza could be made. All-in-all though, PA is a much nicer place to live.

I'm sure there's a great place for you to find in Chicago, good luck. :tu:

5. BJ

BJ Active Member

I mapquested that and it seems that it is a little to far away for pizza :lol:

6. tensdanny

Can't say that I have much experience in that regard. I've only been there with large groups so we kept it simple. It is SOO good though. March Madness is the perfect time to go because the wait is normally long and they have a nice bar area in the front. Lots of fun to catch a game there!

7. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

i agree! i usually just get pepperoni and it's heavenly :)

8. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

are you looking for deep dish?

for that I prefer lou malnati's
    for thin crust, look up Rosatti's pizza in the area. Most of them are carry out though.

whereabouts in chicago are you stayin?

9. ebatch20

ebatch20 Well-Known Member

Lou Malnati's is my favorite pizza in Chicago, although PIZZA D.O.C. has outstanding pizza as well if your looking for something a little less touristy etc..

I think my favorite Chain pizza is Tomato Head.

Where are you staying at while in Town? It's just starting to warm up here so hopefully we get some good weather and you can enjoy the lakefront.

10. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

Chicago's Pizza in Irving Park has the best deep dish. They have other locations in LP and another spot, can't remember. They are excellent though. This review is coming from someone who ate every deep dish pizza in Chicago in one day to determine which was the best. Chicago's Pizza won.

11. BJ

BJ Active Member

I ended up at Gino's East due to the guy that was riding to training with me. It was OK, but I've had better!

I'll be heading back up at the end of May for another corporate function... will try something else then!

12. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

You should have told the guy to go to Jewel since they sell Gino's East in the frozen pizza isle there.

13. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Lou Malnatis hands down.

Next time let us know further ahead of time...we could arrange a JSF Chicago gathering!

14. tensdanny

I'd be down. I live in Milwaukee so can easily drive down for a day or two.

15. jason12676

jason12676 Active Member

I was in Chitown a yr or so ago and went to Giordano's. It was ok but then when I got back to Tampa I noticed there was a Giordano's here haha! :bang:

I felt jipped as I wanted an authentic Chitown pizza I could only get there!!

Once I got back a friend of mine from Chicago orig told me I should have went to lou malnati's.

If I go back I will be going there as I can get Giordano's here

16. BJ

BJ Active Member

I'll keep you posted... reminder though, I'm coming up for work, so I'd only be available in the evening. My wife is coming with me too!!! :D

17. Max Fischer

Max Fischer Well-Known Member

I am always in for a little chi-town pizza. Lou Malnati's is some great pan/deep dish pizza. Pizzeria Uno, not the chain bs, but the original is fantastic. And, it is in a cool location in the heart of the city.

There are some fantastic thin crusts as well. The traditional Chicago thin crust is great....and, if you are not from Chicago, a real treat. They cut the pieces into little squares and tend to put more toppings than on pizza in other cities.

That said, when I went to college I loved Frank Pepe's Pizza in New Haven, Ct. Basically, the pizza is cooked in a coal burning oven....soooo good. Chicago has recently started getting coal and wood burning ovens. Great Lake Pizza on the North Side was recently rated the best pizza in the U.S. by GQ Magazine. And, Coal Fire, is awesome.

So, what have we learned? My contributions to a fitness website are all about pizza.

Just great.

18. BJ

BJ Active Member

I love it!

19. tensdanny

Went to Lou Malnati's last night. The one on Well's street. The wait was about 45 minutes at 7 pm, but it was worth it.

I thought it was equal or greater than Giordano's. My girlfriend thought Giordano's was better. The sauce makes for a really subtle, delicious pie. It's not an actual sauce really, it's thinly sliced, seasoned tomatoes. Delicious!

The waiter was excellent. So good that both the lady and I pointed it out. It may have been the best waiter we've had at a restaurant. He was prompt but not too prompt, funny but not awkward, etc. Just awesome. We gave him a very nice tip since he was great.

We got a large pie with Sausage and green peppers. We took 5 of 8 slices home. It was excellent, but the pepperoni on the table next to us also looked spectacular.

I give it a 10/10.

#19 tensdanny, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  20. ebatch20

ebatch20 Well-Known Member

Awesome! I love Lou's pizza.. I crave it all the time. (one of my vices).

I live right by the Lou's in Lincoln Park and while walking my dog I always walk by for a sniff :)