1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Belt or no belt (previous hernia)

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by winsecure, Jan 16, 2012.

1. winsecure

winsecure Well-Known Member

The general consensus seems to be that a belt is not needed unless you're doing close to your 1RM. I had a lower abdominal hernia 15 years ago. Does that history change whether I should use a belt or not?

I'm not currently using a belt at all. I'm considering beginning to use it for squats and deads on my 3rd/final set (when failure is possible).

Thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

2. MT77

MT77 Active Member

I think thats a good approach and is similar to my philosophy. I think there is some benefit to training without a belt, to develop a stronger core and work towards independence from the belt. But I always throw it on when I'm working above ~80% of 1RM for squat & DL and almost always when doing overheads or any sort of strongman movement (yoke, farmers, etc). Better safe than sorry.

I think in your case, having already injured that area, I think you're more susceptible to reinjury and should be even more careful. But I defer to medical professionals on this one..

3. troyrees

troyrees Active Member

4. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Interesting article. I always believed the contrary but apparently belts cause an INCREASE in spinal loading due to an increase in abdominal pressure. So wearing a belt might actually INCREASE the OP's risk of aggravating your old hernia injury. Go figure..

5. winsecure

Thanks for the input, and nice find on the article. I'm not sure that there's even very many "experts" in the medical community that are qualified to speak on the topic. I certainly wouldn't rely on the recommendation of my GP doc. Thanks!

6. anfeyd

anfeyd Active Member

7. winsecure

No... In fact I don't know what it was from. I got home that night, was getting undressed and saw a bulge where there shouldn't be a bulge....

8. Anthony Mychal

Do you know what kind of surgery was done? Was the more athletically suited mesh?

9. winsecure

Yeah, I think it was a mesh patch they put in. I remember it was a fairly new procedure at the time. I was back to 90-95% within a week or so... I guess the way they would have operated previously, I would have been out of commission for close to a month. IIRC, that was in early 1995.