1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Being a father "figure" - my journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Charger2001, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Charger2001

Charger2001 Active Member

First off let me introduce myself.

My name is Joe, I"m a 28 year old married father of two. We recently purchased our first home after three moves in three years, and are now attempting to settle down into a typical "family" lifestyle. Like many others before me, I had a pretty typical life in my younger, less children filled days. I played sports in High School, worked full time to put my wife through college, and have accepted my current role as a stay at home parent after nearly a decade working to provide in any way possible.

I don't consider myself an unhealthy person, but I do realize that there are many aspects of my life in regards to health that need to change, and many of those didn't come to fruition until my daughter was born.

The long and short of it is this; I'm a nut up or shut up kind of guy. I don't consider past failures to be representation of who I am as a whole, simply something I can overcome and look back upon as a learning tool. I'm not looking to become this incredibly sculpted person who's breaking necks when I take my shirt off at the beach. I just want the energy to give my kids the time they deserve, and to show the world that Mr. Mom's don't all end up lazy and senile.

I don't drink, smoke, and have never done drugs. Until Jan. 1st I was a regular consumer of the typical junk foods, and a mass consumer of sugary drinks and pop. I aim to change as much of this as I can while still allowing room to enjoy certain occasions.

Now onto the stats I have currently available.

Starting January 1st my old scale showed a reading of 220lbs. I'm around 5'10 and have no current injuries or illness that would prevent me from getting off my behind and doing something with it.

I'm starting off small (big to me though), and dedicating the next 6-8 weeks focusing the majority of my exercise time to cardio. I have a Pro-Form 385c treadmill, it's nothing fancy, but it beats running in the snow for now.

I have a simple spreadsheet I setup for my training, it has slowly evolved as I've added and taken away certain thing, but I think I have what's needed for my current fat loss phase.

Here were my results from week 1. The weight the first few days might be inaccurate. I switched scaled part way and have since recorded all weigh-ins with the new format. The spreadsheet also doesn't list my current free-weight training, but I'll work on that as I progress forward.

The numbers did dwindle a little with each day, but I was happy because each day I added something new to my routine.

I'm trying to some basic stuff right now. I grew up on these components and they served me well for the better part of a decade. I feel that getting strength back using what these offer is paramount to moving toward my other goals.

Overall weight loss was between 2.4 and 6.4lbs (depending on if my original scale was accurate), and I managed to log over 20 miles while burning off an estimated 2652 calories. These were the numbers coming from the treadmill and do not take into account any of the other exercises I was doing at the time.

I will continue to work towards the goals that are setup in Pushups, Situps, and squats. These goals I hope to accomplish in about the same time as my initial cardio training so hopefully I can start the next phase while having no loose end goals hanging about.

I'll leave this first post with a family picture from this past holiday. I have a lifetime worth of motivation just from the three others in this picture. :)

[​IMG]

#1 Charger2001, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hi Joe and congratulations for making fitness a priority for you and your family. It is certainly the right reason to want to be as healthy as you can for them. You have beautiful family. I think the sign on your sleigh says it all. Believe you can do this!

Just the fact that you have a plan is the key first step. From here, you have many choices. My only suggestion would be that you incorporate weight training at the same time as you are losing weight and body fat with the cardio. I didn't do this in the beginning and lost muscle mass that I didn't need to lose.

If you will be doing all of your workouts at home, I would suggest getting a simple bench and some dumbbells of various weights. With these and your body weight exercises you could follow any number of beginning weight training programs that you can find on the internet or even this site.

Take measurements now if you haven't already done it. And starting pics front, side and back. Looks like you're off to a good start with your spreadsheet to keep track of your progress.

Best wishes, Joe. Don't look at this as something to do for 8 weeks. Think of it as a lifestyle change and you can enjoy good health for many years to come with your family.:tucool:

3. Charger2001

Hello Carguy,

Thanks for the response. :)

I guess I should clear up a few things before I dig myself into a hole right off the bat.

I am working with a few various weights with my dumbbells, mostly working on upper body aspects, (biceps, triceps, chest), I just don't have the spreadsheet in the format I want just yet. It's working on it, and I hope to be able to provide a better plan for the public at the end of this week with it.

In regards to my comments about a 6-8 week phase. What I mean by this is that my goal was a 6-8 week focus on mostly cardio in an attempt to drop not only weight, but also the stigma that I couldn't do it. After two surgeries and a few steel pins, the thought of running again had me concerned. I want to use this time as a confidence booster filled with positives, and I'm already seeing the rewards of a simple weeks worth of "can do" attitude. I have goals set for the 8 week mark, the 6 month mark, and even a January 1st, 2013 mark.

Not only did I go the entire week without needing a nap (something I usually require), but I found myself no longer yawning half the day despite getting the same amount of sleep I used to. That alone has given me a few hours back of my day which were otherwise wasted.

My diet will play a big part in my success, and I'm learning as I go. After working in retail for so long, I despise having to make unintended trips to the store and have found it easier just to stop buying all the crap food to begin with. If it's not in my house then I don't need to worry about eating it. :)

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. I spent the weekend so far reading on others stories and it makes a difference, especially when the pictures smack you right in the face.

I'm working on measurements and the other numbers that accompany it, I just need the rest of my tools to arrive.

Anyway, it's 9am and I'm still in need of a good cardio boost so off I go. :)

4. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

Hi Charger

Great to have you here!

Carguy wrote the very words I was intending to write when I read your first entry, espectially, "If you will be doing all of your workouts at home, I would suggest getting a simple bench and some dumbbells of various weights. With these and your body weight exercises you could follow any number of beginning weight training programs that you can find on the internet or even this site.

Take measurements now if you haven't already done it. And starting pics front, side and back. Looks like you're off to a good start with your spreadsheet to keep track of your progress."

I started with just a pair of dumbbells and a very cheap bench with leg attachtment and have only very recently upgraded. Now I don't know your medical history but if it's physically possible for you I'd urge you to give your weight training at least equal priority to cardio, if not greater.

There are so any reasons most people here would recommend this approach that it goes well beyond the confines of this post, but the main reason is that muscle burns up more calories than fat in a resting state. This means that once you've gained some muscle mass your body will be able to burn off more calories on it's own, making it easier for you to maintain a lower level of body fat with less effort! You'll also look a lot better for it and will have better posture and greater strength endurance, making playing with your children a whole lot more fun!

A couple of really important things before I go - I see from your spreadsheet you're doing Squats every single day and Pushups 3 times a week. It's very important to give each muscle group time to recover - this is when the muscle repairs itself and builds it's strength. Most people here would recommend you only work one muscle group ONCE a week! An example of how this may work for you would be on Monday you do your Chest & Triceps (Push Ups), Tuesday your Legs (Squats), Thursday your Back & Shoulders (Pullups? / Deadlifts??) and Friday you do your Arms & Abs (Dumbell Curls and Situps). You can then do cardio after each weight training session, or on the days you don't do any weight training. You should always take one whole day off from doing anything too physical though.

Each weight training session should be focussed around one major compound movement, the three main ones being:

Press Ups (or Bench Press when you buy a bench)

Squats - Legs and Core

Deadlifts (Back, Core, Arms, Shoulders and just about everything else!)

Personally I believe the Deadlift to be the KING of compound movements but needs to be treated with respect with regard to correct form - best to build up in weight very slowly whilst ensuring you develop good form.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on quite so much. :D

All the best anyway.

5. Charger2001

Thanks for the input, Akira. :)

I should probably clear up that the squats I'm doing are more or less a stretch than a workout. I'm not doing any weight at the moment, it's simply me going in good form for 5 sets, the fifth being until fail, or in my case, balance is lost.

The only real physical limitations I have are whatever excuse I could drum up to complain about having to do them. Which in turn means I otherwise have a clean bill of health and aside from lack of proper equipment have no reason not to be doing weights.

I did mention in a previous reply that I do have a set of dumbbells that I've been using for upper-body exercises, but only on the days I do my pushups.

As for the delaying and staggering of exercises, I know what you mean when you suggest taking a break. The reason I chose the every other day method is that historically it has worked for me, at least with the limited scope I have to look on. This is why I tend to ask the questions around the line of doing more harm than good. Today is my 8th day on this transition and I feel great. No soreness aside from my legs after a run, but I can actually feel progress being made in the exercises I do.

I have been scouting out places online in hopes of scoring some good deals on weights, although I'm really toying with the idea of having a small addition built onto the garage to accompany the equipment I may soon have. The space I use is inside the office, so it's not the most versatile place, but it gets the job done.

Rest assured I am actively looking for gear that will allow me a greater range of training for best results, but I'm stubborn and always seem to want the best deals around.

You never need to apologize to me for offering opinions and advice. I'd be a fool to disregard or dismiss the knowledge others are willing to provide. I hope to be like a sponge in the first few months and absorb as much useful knowledge as I can.

After all, it's my job to commit to this at the end of the day. :)

6. Akira-Kai

I've a feeling you're going to do very well here, which is why I think I wrote such a long post.

I've been working from home whilst looking after my two boys for nearly 4 years now which was when I heard about John Stone and this forum. So, like you, I was able to gradually build up my knowledge and own home gym equipment. I can also train whenever I liked (just about). I'm also able to eat exactly what I like and when, with minimal hassle.

I'd recommend anyone to get their own home gym, even if it's in a cupboard! Working out is difficult for anyone, but when you actually have to GO to the gym, well it's just one more excuse out the way when the whole set up is at home where you live.

7. Charger2001

I'd thought about posting this as it's own thread, but I figure before I become redundant I'll ask here in my Journal instead.

Can anyone suggest a good multi-vitamin for someone in my current state based on my current goals of initial fat loss and endurance building?

I do currently take a whey protein supplement twice a day (once in the morning and again at night, both after my workouts), but I'm sure that there's something out there which can help ease the areas my diet is currently not covering.

A typical day in regards to food is as follows:

1-cup whey protein + low calorie, zero fat yogurt with a banana and 1.5cups fat free milk.

Lunch time usually consists of a salad with shredded grilled chicken and fat free dressing.

Dinner time has been a grilled chicken breast with veggies.

Post workout is once again my protein combination.

I've yet to take down the caloric intake of everything as I'm still (dang weekend shipping) waiting on the remainder of my tools to gather more of my statistical numbers.

I'm sorry if this is too much or too little on the information side of things. I can provide a clearer description of things if that's what's needed.

8. user786

user786 Active Member

regarding the multivitamin dont know which brands you have in the USA but any general multivitamin which covers the 100% Recommended daily amounts should suffice , i would go for one which has the minerals and maybe iron combined in also.

How long have you been eating that diet ? as
    the calories seem on the low side ( unless the shakes are 600 cals Plus each) and also your healthy fats ie olive oil / nuts/ egg yolks seem non existant . Also maybe worth throwing in some fish oil as very beneficial to health.

9. Charger2001

The diet overhaul came on the 1st of the year, so this is day 9.

You're correct that the calories seem a little low. This week has seen some larger meals with friends and family and I can't accurately tell the average I'm eating per day.

When I look at my past food intake though it's hard not to argue how much better this current setup is than my old. No more snacks of any kind, at least nothing that contains sugar and fats. No more pizza and chips, and not an ounce of caffeine from pop. Pop and snacks used to be a huge crutch, especially because I'm such a sports fan.

This Saturday will culminate my second full week with this change, and I hope to have a much better understanding of my diet and workout plans by then.

I'm almost scared to know if I'm not getting enough calories as it's hard to sit down and eat as it is. :)

The morning and evening protein meals are 410 calories each.

10. Charger2001

How I missed the bit about the healthy fats in my first reply is beyond me, so I'm sorry for the double post.

I really need to invest in some pistachios I think. While I'd normally enjoy dried and salted peanuts, pistachios to my knowledge are a much healthier choice, and seem like a great snack. Something that would not only benefit my caloric intake, but overall health as well.

In regards to the fish oil, it's something I'll need to put some research into. I don't want to rely on taking a handful of pills each and every day if possible, so I'll need to see what things I can get or combine to make the most out of what's available.

11. Charger2001

Not only did I get my Captains of Crush hand grippers yesterday, but also my BF tools and MyoTape.

Tonight is the last workout of week #2 and I'm hoping the results are what I was expecting. Should have updated stats in about 11 hours. :)

12. Akira-Kai

Sounds good - keen to see how you've been getting on!

13. user786

user786 Active Member

pistachios are good and also Almonds and they supposed to help with your brain function ( maybe a old wives tale though:lol:)

Have a look at the benefits of omega 3 type fish oils and you will be suprised by the numerous benefits :) i hate taking pills myself i only use 5g of omega 3 and good multivitamin on a regular basis.

14. user786

user786 Active Member

Which Coc grippers did u get ? im thinking on purchasing a pair but not too sure whether do go for the level 1 or 2 .

15. Charger2001

I went with the training (100lbs) as I need something that my wife can also utilize, and it didn't seem smart to go higher if there was no benefit to her.

On that note, as soon as my wife finishes her workout in the next hour I'll get my week two measurements and stats updated and posted. I cheated and checked my weight about an hour earlier than normal, but I couldn't help it. :)

16. Charger2001

Original post updated with week 2 stats, but I'll post a little follow-up here just to keep things fresh.

Week 2 + Overall Progress.

This week I saw a total weight drop of 3.6lbs. This brought my total to 10lbs over the last 2 weeks (14 days), as well as great results in my cardio.

As I stated before, cardio is going to be a huge focal point for me over the remaining 6 weeks of this phase. When I began my journey two weeks ago I struggled to finish a 30 minute treadmill session on any speed, and rarely going over 3 mph.
    This week I saw that "wall" shattered, even to the point where I was jogging and running at times, often wondering if 30 minutes was going to be enough.

I burned more calories, worked out longer, and as the distance showed, managed to push myself harder. I can't ask for anything more.

I'm still free of pop, junk food, as well as fast food and the such. I had a small homemade brownie my wife made, because some things in life are worth making your wife happy over. :)

I also received my tools to test body fat and measurements. I included my Body Fat % in this weeks posting. It was a solid 24%. I'm not happy about it, but then again, that's why I'm here.

Thanks for everyone's support over the past few weeks, especially those that take the additional time to reply to private messages which I'm sure can get annoying at times.

Tomorrow starts a new week and I'll be sure to include progress pictures this time. All this talk means jack squat if you can't prove what's being done behind closed doors.

Here's to another great week both in the workout room and with life.

-Joe

17. Akira-Kai

10lbs in 14 days!!!!

Good work!

Got yourself a weight bench yet? :tu:

18. Charger2001

Not yet. There's a few changes being made to the resistance aspect of my workouts that I'm hoping will yield solid results. Data to follow in the coming days. :)

19. user786

user786 Active Member

That is awsome progress looking foward to it continuing:) - Freddy

20. Charger2001

Well we took advantage of the coming storm (which I'm now in the middle of), as well as having a babysitter (Thanks Mom :D ) for the day, so my wife and I went to lunch yesterday.

It was a great meal and outing, although the scale didn't agree. Managed to go up almost a solid pound when it was all said and done 24 hours later, but I'm not worrying much. I've stuck to my twice daily workouts, only this week has been a single cardio per day (evening), and a session of resistance training in the morning.

Stats are still on schedule for what I'm looking for by weeks end so I'll just have to wait and see how the last few days play out. :)