1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Before and After: Getting Too Fat?

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by TheThirdMohican, Jul 24, 2012.

1. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

Photos set 1: December 2010, after 2 cycles of P90x and as a malnourished intern, 175 lbs, 6 foot 3 inches, not strong but fit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos set 2: July 2012 (today), 6 foot 3 inches 192 lbs, strong but also a little pudgier:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Eventually I would like to get to a nice 200 lb frame with ~10 percent BF. Currently I am sitting at 18-20 depending on the calculator :confused:

I have been doing no cardio for some time now. Sleeping has been erratic but improved in the last couple of weeks. Nutrition in terms of calories is there, mostly clean. I have been doing major compound lifts, thinking of doing the new Mastover "Training for the underweight" scheme but I may not qualify anymore (I originally started lifting at 150 lbs 6 years ago).

2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

That is a pretty good goal. I wouldn't mind hitting those numbers, too. Of course, we would be approaching 200#/10% from opposite directions on the scale(I'm weighing in at 206), but BF% is similar(I'm sitting at 17% roughly).

I'm pretty confident that we can both get there given enough time. Wanna race? :lol:

P.S. I think you added a couple pounds in the after pictures just from lack of shaving your torso. :duck: :neener:

:whistle:

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

In highshcool I was 6'4" and 170....a skinny bastard.
    College athletics had me at 6'5" 200 by the end of undergrad. (Yeah, I grew an inch in college)
    I did a big deadlift and squat program several years back that got me to 6'5" 225 and about 12%-13% BF...best shape of my life.

Time, food, and big compound lifts will get you what you want....but you need to feed yourself to add muscle.
    I was running 3000+ cals per day for about 6 months while doing a 5x5 program centered around the ideas behind "Starting Strength."
    (I am now almost 40 and am more interested in low BF...so my goals have changed...)

4. TheThirdMohican

Yes! Let's race. I do need to shave don't I :lol:

I think I am feeding myself plenty, I've gained 20 lbs in 1 year, the only question now is how to get away from a 1:1 ratio of fat and muscle :confused:

5. TheThirdMohican

S/p trim:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I should keep bulking although my BF% by waist-hip measurements is around 18%. Up to 195 (well maybe less now that the hair is gone :lol:)

6. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Most formula based measures are pretty useless.

OTOH the numbers don't really matter. Look in the mirror and decide. Short of an autopsy all measures have a margin of error.

How are your lifts progressing? I wouldn't say you were getting too fat but are the lifts going up?

7. TheThirdMohican

True.

I'm stronger but not 20 lbs stronger.

The above pictures were taken during a 2nd cycle of p90x. When I stopped p90x in July 2011 and went back to compound lifts here was where I was at: DL 155, Squat 135, Bench 95 (5 reps, 1 set). My last workout: DL 205 (10 reps), Squat 190 (3x12 reps), Bench 135 (3x8reps)

8. TheThirdMohican

And I'm definitely not 200 lbs strong. Weighed in at 200+ today, AFTER shaving off all that hair :eek:

9. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

So... you must be at 10% BF already, then, eh? :lol:

Seriously, though... how is your intensity on your lifts? Are you straining and grunting and groaning involuntarily on the last sets/reps? Is your face turning red and your veins popping out of your neck/head?

If not, then you need to up the weight. Period. If you want to gain muscle and get to 10%, there has to be some serious concentrated effort in the gym AND in the kitchen. Get to it.

I'll meet you there. ;)

10. TheThirdMohican

I'll keep it in mind, but I'm pushing myself at the end of each lift. I made progress in my last workout after a couple days off. I just don't understand where the weight is going because I don't look THAT much different.