1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

barbell complexes?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by wwwolf, Apr 9, 2012.

1. wwwolf

wwwolf Member

I have my own barbell and some bumper plates and a backyard now, but no rack or bench for another two months (at least).

Are barbell complexes worth doing?

They are kind of fun, but I'm not sure what the point is. That is, do they actually improve sport performance, or help with other lifts, or lower body fat %?

Just curious if anyone has done complexes over an extended time and seen any useful results. Whenever I dig into my CrossFit friends who recommend them, they end up admitting they only really do them once in a while, do to their ever-rotating WODs.

Also if you do them, when do you put them into your workout? On off days, or after lifting?

2. Euphonicus

Euphonicus Active Member

Complexes are awesome for building endurance and burning calories. Along with sled dragging, circuit training and HIIT intervals, complexes are one of the few forms of cardio exercise that will not have a catabolic effect.

Here's a good one to start with: the "Bear Complex"

Power Clean-Front Squat-Press-Back Squat-Behind the Neck Press-set down and repeat. I do a hang power clean instead of a power clean from the floor, which allows you to perform these in a continuous fashion, without resetting on the floor.

3. MT77

MT77 Active Member

I found a 4 lift complex from Dan Johns that I used for a couple months last summer / early fall. It was advertised as a program he used with his Olympic throwers to develop speed and explosiveness.

It was:
    Power Clean x10
    Back Squat x10
    Power Snatch x10
    Front Squat x10

I did this for 3 rounds, 3 days a week. It helped. I nearly cleared 13.5' on the Weight Over Bar event.