1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Banana Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Numbski, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Numbski

Numbski Well-Known Member

I literally have this outside churning as we speak. Figured I'd post it up before I forget. ;)

2 cups skim milk
    3/4 cup splenda
    2 scoops All The Whey Vanilla Protein Blend (Isolate would work too)
    1/2 cup Egg Beaters
    2 bananas

In a medium saucepan, mix milk, protein, splenda, and eggs well. Warm over low heat, SLOWLY work up to medium heat. When you start to see the mixture trying to congeal, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. In a bowl, smash your banana to "batter" looking consistency. Once the custard has cooled considerably, pour the bananas in and beat well.

Prepare your ice cream maker, dump the custard in and churn, churn, churn. Once it's thick enough, eat! If you want it hard-frozen, transfer to a tupperware dish, and place in deep freeze.

Total calories for this whole thing is ~400 kcal, carbs coming from the bananas, All The Whey, and the skim milk. Of course it's got a decent dose of protein in there too. Very low sugar. ;)

2. Numbski

Turned out perfectly. :) Hard freezing it now.

3. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Don't have an ice cream maker, myself, but... I bought a Blendtec blender recently, and I keep trying to figure out how to use the ice cream "program" to make healthy ice cream. The recipes that came with the machine all involve garbage like nondairy creamer or tang. :blank:

There's got to be a way to make something with ingredients similar to yours... :confused:

4. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

looks really yummee:drool: but I did a conservative calculation of the calories and came up with 615, could easily be up to 700 if bananas were largish. Just in case anyone making it needs to be precise with their calories ;)

5. Numbski

Hrm?

1/4 cup egg beaters = 30 kcal*2 = 60kcal
    1 cup skim milk = 90 kcal*2 = 180kcal
    1 scoop All The Whey = 108kcal*2 = 216kcal
    1 banana = 75kca*2 = 150kcal
    3/4 cup splenda = 0 :)

150 + 216 + 180 + 60 = 606

I guess I really don't know how to count. :P

That made a full quart of ice cream easily. Hard to measure to be sure, but my wife and I each had a serving left, and we could each still have another serving and still have some left over. So presuming you're a big eater and there's only 4 servings there, 125 calories isn't bad. I don't recall the protein numbers on bananas or egg beaters off the top of my head, but there are 44 grams of protein in the All The Whey, and 7 grams of protein in the skim milk. So 12 grams of protein per serving-ish. Not too shabby.

The texture is pretty much perfect straight out of the ice cream maker. I froze it for an additional two hours, and that improved the texture further. Freezing overnight is actually too much freeze. At that point it becomes difficult to scoop without a heated ice cream scoop, so thawing slightly would be a good idea - but I had a spoonful of it this morning, and once it's in your mouth, the texture is still awesome. Given that the only fat in that recipe comes from the All The Whey, and if you used isolate - this is a completely fat-free recipe. Loving it. :)

6. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

and be careful about your splenda, 3/4 of a cup is not zero calories ;) (my medium sized banana in dietpower is 149 cals wt 4 oz peeled ) sorry I have to be very anal about measuring and accuracy to see success :())

7. Numbski

That's cool - so many calories is 3/4 cup of splenda then?

Meanwhile:

No need to bring your rectum into our ice cream discussion. :)

8. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

72 cals and 18gr carbs ;)

:lol:

9. massy6

massy6 Active Member

Nice, this one is on my list. I will be making it tomorrow, thanks great recipe

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I made this over the weekend, and it was amazing! The protein custard was good enough to eat without adding the banana or making in to ice cream!

Made a half-recipe and had it on chocolate protein waffles--a very indulgent dessert!

Jaer
    is a huge fan of banana ice cream, and this was just spectacular.

11. Bell

Bell Member

Hey Numbski i love ice cream but this one is new kind of recipe for me. I never tried this banana ice cream. I can feel its taste. This ice cream is looking tasty so i am going to make it today. Thanks for a fabulous recipe.