1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

"BackLift" off a Smithy?...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by HevyMetal, Dec 8, 2010.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

The "Backlift" is an old-time strongman move. You only have to move the weight approximately one inch.

Just wondering......since you only have to move the weight one inch, and given that I can set up the Smith machine to duplicate this move (which I can with bolt-on equipment I have), will the fact that the bar is travelling in a fixed vertical plane affect the move at all?

Hell, it's only one inch.......???......:eek:

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I'd never heard of this lift until your post ... and I just looked it up. Since there is no balancing involved (from what I can tell), I can't imagine that a Smith machine would ruin the lift. On the other hand, you'll be able to do a ton of weight with this lift .... do you even have enough weight to make it a challenge? :eek:

Given the extremely small ROM, I'm not sure how beneficial this lift really is.....

3. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Well.....I'll see what happens......:eek:.......:cool:

4. MT77

MT77 Active Member

IMO, if you're going to do a "backlift" where you're pushing on your thighs with your hands, then the smith machine won't take anything away from the benefit of this lift. In my mind, it won't take much effort to balance because hands-on-thighs is a very stable position.

On the other hand, if you were to do a 1" ROM squat, and support the weight for a few seconds after lockout, then there is a lot more stabilization going on throughout the body, and the smith machine would negate some of that benefit.

To JoeSchmo, I believe it can be beneficial to do these kinds of very short ROM / very heavy lifts once in a while. I believe it triggers the body to build tendon, ligament, and bone strength. Its also a lot of fun!

5. JoeSchmo

Good points :tucool:

I'd like to try some of those ye olde-timey strongman lifts myself ... some of them look like fun.

6. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Take a look at the bent press. Takes some practice, but it is a unique way to get a lot of weight overhead. A staple of old time strongmen.

7. JoeSchmo

That was actually one of the lifts I was thinking of :) Lately I've been doing one-arm overhead DB press, and I've been thinking it would be fun to learn to do a bent press.