1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Back to Basics

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Bradley326, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

You just click on the red "Day #" boxes to see each day's workout. I kind of wish they were animated, because a lot of the exercises I have no clue how to properly do and I've had to look up some videos on youtube to make sure I'm doing them correctly. Then again, I like the efficient, concise nature of them.

Today's Workout:
    45 minutes on the stationary bike, moderate resistance, and average 19.2 mph.
    Hero's Journey Day 3

I'm definitely feeling a lot better about my riding after doing the stationary bike a few times a week over the past several weeks. Unfortunately, we're currently right in the middle of a 6 - 10 inch snowfall, so I'll have to continue to wait until I can actually get my bike out again.

Hero's Journey today had me pick a weapon, with each one giving you a different exercise. I chose a magic ring, so I can picture myself like the Green Lantern. The magic ring means 3 planks until failure, back to back to back. I believe I'll have to "use my weapon" (i.e., do the planks) on various future days. I chose planks because the other "weapons" didn't appeal to me since they involved stuff I either hate (running) or stuff I already do a few times a week at the gym (legs/pull-ups).

2. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Today's Workout:
    Decline Bench Press (machine): 55x5x5
    Seated OHP (machine): 55x5x5
    Inside-grip Pull-ups: 6x5x5
    Diamond Push-ups: 4 sets of 10
    15 minutes moderate intensity on the stationary bike to cool down
    Hero's Journey Day 4

I took off work today (but ended up doing some work anyway, bleh) to go down for a job interview. I'm glad I took the whole day, because due to regular traffic plus yesterday's snow, it took me nearly 2 hours to get there and 1.5 hours to get back. Should only take an hour.

Anyway, I took a quick nap after getting home at around 2ish, and at about 4:00pm I woke up really hungry and craving carbs hardcore. I have some pancake mix still sitting in my cupboard, and I was very tempted to crack that open and gorge on pancakes. However, I decided to hit the gym first and see how I felt afterwards.

So I pounded some coffee, did my Hero's Journey workout, and then hit the gym. I'm glad I did, because it knocked the carb cravings right out of me. Instead, I stopped by the grocery store on the way home to pick up some red/green bell peppers, onions, and turkey sausages. I'm going to make a border scramble with all that tossed in.

I had a good workout, but I had to use machines since it was so crowded (around 5pm by the time I got to the gym, peak time obviously). Still, I think it's good to switch it up now and then so I didn't mind. Today's Hero's Journey workout was mostly stretching stuff, which I really really enjoyed. I might actually work a couple of the stretches into my normal stretching routine.

Tomorrow will be a full off day, with the exception of finding 20 minutes or so to do my Hero's Journey workout.

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I caved and went to Denny's for pancakes, eggs, and bacon. MMM. Then I hit the gym.

4. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Denny's has my favorite pancakes ever: cinnamon pancakes drizzled with cinnamon bun icing. They're amazing.

Today's Workout:
    Hero's Journey Day 5

Mostly a rest day today, other than doing day 5 of Hero's Journey, which involved a variety of lunges.

Most likely some cardio tomorrow, and then back to my regular gym schedule on Monday.

5. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Today's Workout:
    Hero's Journey Day 6

Like usual, Sat/Sun are mostly rest days for me. However, since I'm doing this Hero's Journey program I did day 6 of that, which consisted of several push-up variations and practice with my "weapon," i.e, planks. I didn't do cardio like I had planned because I woke up a bit late and had to find time to get some work done, go down to my parents' place to pick up a package, and meet some friends for dinner.

No big deal, as my diet was in check all weekend and I'll be heading back to the gym for a full workout tomorrow.

6. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Today's Workout:
    Hero's Journey Day 7

Once again work was so crazy today that I didn't have enough time to drive to my regular gym. Instead, I took 20 minutes and did my daily Hero's Journey workout, which consisted of core and leg stuff today. Not ideal, but it built up a nice sweat.

If work stays this hectic, I'm going to have to start going at 7am again. I just really don't want to lose the extra couple hours of sleep (I wake up at 9am normally for work), especially now that I'm teaching so my Mondays and Wednesdays are around 14 hours long.

I'm going to be making some Italian wedding soup tonight after I teach, so I have that to look forward to at least!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :eat:

Hope works calms down for you.

8. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Thanks. My soup wasn't as good as I had hoped. I'm not very good at seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

Today's Workout:
    Flat Bench (barbell): 185x5x5
    Dumbbell Rows (one-armed): 45x5x8
    Grok Squats (bodyweight): 2 sets of 20
    Crunches (bodyweight): 2 sets of 25
    Hero's Journey Day 8

I made it to the gym today, but 2/3 through my workout my phone started blowing up with work emails so I had to go home and deal with it, which is why I only managed 2 sets of my squats and crunches instead of the 5 I had been hoping to do. I also was planning on finishing with OHP, but I didn't get make it that far, so no shoulder work.

I may hop over to the complex's gym tomorrow and do some shoulder work in addition to cardio.

Today's Hero's Journey workout was mostly stretching and leg work, which is great because I try to stretch my lower body/lower back several times a week anyway.

9. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I like the sound of that, Hero's Journey.

10. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

I'm really enjoying it so far. I have a pretty active imagination, so when I'm doing my daily workout I picture myself going through the story that's being described (e.g., visiting the oracle, fighting attackers, etc.)

Today's Workout:
    Core work on the cable machine
    Standing OHP (dumbbells)
    burpees
    15 minutes intense riding on the stationary bike
    Hero's Journey Day 8

I just did some random/isolation stuff at my apartment's gym today, since I don't have time to head to Gold's. The weather has dramatically improved the past couple days, and it's looking like it'll be in the low-to-mid 50s for the rest of the week and into the weekend. There is still a fair amount of snow laying around, but I might take my bike out for a ride on Saturday or Sunday morning. :spaz:

I went out to Taco Bell for dinner last night, and got one of those new Sriracha Quesaritos. I'm a HUGE fan of the regular Quesaritos, and this Sriracha version was even better. A++ do recommend! I also got a Doritos Locos Taco, which is always delicious.

11. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Today's Workout:
    Standing OHP (barbell)
    Incline Bench (barbell)
    100 crunches
    Wide-grip Pull-ups

Solid workout today. I had hoped to do a bit more, but once again my phone started blowing up while I was at the gym so I rushed things a bit to get home and take care of work stuff. Still, I got the core of my workout done. I haven't done Hero's Journey yet today, but I will take care of that this evening before bed.

In other news, I just signed the offer letter for a new job (the one I interviewed for last Friday). So things shouldn't be quite as hectic at this new place, since I'll be going from basically me and one woman doing all the work at this place to a team of 6 people at the new place. More importantly, I managed to get a 15k/year salary increase out of it.

I kind of feel bad about leaving my current place, because they've been experiencing something of a mass exodus lately with numerous people bailing and I'll be leaving my few remaining coworkers in a bad position. However, I kind of feel like if the higher-ups were handling things better then so many people wouldn't be leaving. It's an extremely top-heavy company, with numerous executives who do seemingly very little, and a much smaller number of real solutions people (i.e., the ones who know the technology we work with and do the bulk of the tech work/writing work).

There have also been rumors that the company is trying to get acquired, and I certainly don't want to be around when that happens. I went through an acquisition at my old company and it wasn't a pleasant experience, because as soon as the acquisition was complete they started letting people go. It makes sense due to the inevitable redundancies that exist when two companies join, but I'd rather get out ahead of the game.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congratulations on your new job. A better work environment and a raise = win-win.

Hope you get that bicycle ride done.

13. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Thanks, and I did get a bike ride in.

Today's Workout:
    Flat Bench Press (dumbbells)
    Inside-grip Pull-ups
    Planks
    Seated OHP (dumbbells)
    Stretching for legs/lower back

I managed to get off to the full gym and do a solid workout today. I'll be doing Hero's Journey Day 13 before bed. I hit the gym for a full workout last Friday, and also have been doing my Hero's Journey stuff over the weekend.

On Sunday I took my bike out and got a semi-decent 32 mile ride in, going from around BWI airport to down near Annapolis and back. It was a bit chillier than I had hoped, but the worst part was the fierce wind. Going down I averaged around 16.5mph because I had the wind at my back. On the return trip I dropped down to around 11mph average due to pedaling directly into the wind. To give an idea of how strong the wind was, I actually had some trouble controlling my car on the drive home due to the wind gusts.

Still, I'm glad I got out and hopefully the weather will continue to warm up and make riding even easier. I've only got a month and a half until my first century, so I'd like to build up at least to a 60 - 80 mile ride or two before then.

14. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Annapolis is one of more windy places I've ever been (and I've been to Chicago).