1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to Basics

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Bradley326, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Bradley326

Bradley326 Well-Known Member

It was a fantastic 4 days, but I didn't exercise and ate a ton of garbage (albeit, carb-loaded and delicious garbage!). Today I feel and look like I gained 20 pounds, but that's all bloat and gas from the processed carbs I gorged on. My clothes this morning were noticeably tighter around my mid-section. I think by Wednesday I'll be back to my normal self, and I have a ton of delicious paleo food lined up to eat this week.

I'm playing catch-up on work, and that combined with the snow means I probably won't get to the gym for the next couple days.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you had such a good time and I'm sure your bloat will be gone shortly as your return to your normal diet.

3. Bradley326

Yep, I'm feeling almost back to normal today. Just a small bit of bloat left.

Yesterday's Workout:
    Didn't make it to the gym due to work/weather, but I went out for a brisk 1.25-mile walk in the evening after work.

Today's Workout:
    Various arm, chest, and core isolation exercises.

I didn't have time to drive to the gym so I ventured into the tiny little "gym" in my apartment complex. It has 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, a stationary bike, a rack of dumbbells going up to 50 pounds, a cable machine, and a bench/OHP machine. It's not ideal, but I was able to use the cable machine and the dumbbells to do some decent isolation work.

Given the distance from the gym, I think I might start using this one in my apartment complex on my Tue/Thur isolation and cardio days. I can walk over in about 1 minute and knock out a quick 30 - 45 minute workout on my lunch break very easily, no matter how busy I am with work.

On the topic of food, why the hell are nuts and nut products sooooo expensive? Nuts are a staple when eating paleo, but it gets really pricey. I've been eating pistachios as a snack, but an average size bag of them costs anywhere from 5.50 - 9.00! And a peanut-butter sized jar of almond butter costs me 8.99! Absurd!

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

You could make some really good progress with the equipment in your apartment gym. It sounds better equipped than a lot of hotels.

Can't answer about the nuts. I don't eat a lot of nuts since I view them as a better source of fat than protein. Obviously, I'm not paleo . :D

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's nice to have the option of your complex 's gym.

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod:

I've gone from snacking on pistachios, cashews, almonds, and walnuts to store-brand roasted peanuts 'cause of the cost. I keep the pistachios around for some recipes. Can't have the cashews in the house 'cause I'll tear through an entire can in a sitting and it gets expensive.

7. Bradley326

I agree that my complex's gym isn't terrible, but given my preference for barbell work (deadlifts, squats, OHP, bench, incline bench, and sometimes rows) it isn't ideal for my current training program. I'll most likely keep using it as a quick-and-easy way to get in some supplemental isolation exercises. The fact that it's open 24/7 is nice. Now and then late at night I'll get the urge to go workout, and this will let me do that.

I can understand that! I avoid peanuts since they're not encouraged on paleo, which leaves me with the more expensive nuts. I tend to eat them as a treat; so they don't make up a daily snack, but whenever I find myself craving something salty I'll eat a cup or so of pistachios instead of looking for chips. I treat my almond butter like gold and use it as sparingly as possible, too. Given the amount of calories in nuts, maybe it's a good thing that they're so expensive I need to ration them! :confused:

Speaking of chips, I've become quite fond of kale chips as another salty snack, although they require a bit of preparation.

Today's Workout:
    Incline Bench Press (dumbbells): 65x5x5
    Lat Pull Downs: 140x5x5
    Standing OHP (barbell): 85x5x5
    Planks: 30 sec, 3 times
    Stretching for my lower back and legs

I decided to switch it up a bit and do lat pull downs on the cable machine instead of pull ups like I would normally do. No real reason other than doing something different to keep it interesting.

There was a guy doing OHP next to me and he asked me for a spot on his final set. He was doing around 150 pounds on a barbell. I got behind him and put my arms under his elbows to support him if needed, and then he started screaming--literally screaming as he lifted--which startled me so much I almost took a step back. Maybe I'm not lifting heavy enough, but I've never found the need to let out massive groans, grunts, and screams like some people do.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd probably scream too if I tried to press a buck fifty.

Seriously, I have never screamed at the gym. Not for me.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm sure I've let out a grunt or two, but I can say with certainty I've never screamed at my gym.

10. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

I've let go with a pretty good yell once or twice out in Hyperborean, but since I'm the only person out there (and the garage door is shut this time of year), I ain't botherin' nobody. :o

(Never screamed at a gym, though. :nono:)

11. Bradley326

Today's Workout:
    Various arm, back, shoulder, and leg isolation exercises.

I'll be doing some stretching for my lower back/legs later at home.

12. Bradley326

Today's Workout:
    Seated OHP (dumbbells): 55x5x5
    Bench Press (flat, barbell): 175x5x5
    Body Weight Rows: BWx5x5
    Stretching for lower back and legs.

I didn't do any real leg exercises today because I did 4x10 Grok squats yesterday, which I could feel today in both my quads and hamstrings.

13. Bradley326

Today's Workout:
    Various core, arm, and shoulder isolation exercises
    Stretching for my legs/upper back

Work meetings kept me from getting to my regular gym, so I had to walk over to my apartment complex's gym and bang out a quick 30-minute workout. I was scheduled for my big, compound workout (bench press, OHP, pull ups, deadlifts) but I had to readjust to my off-day workout of isolation stuff due to the lack of equipment in my complex's gym. I'm going to try and do my compound workout tomorrow.

Between sets I did some experimenting with how well I can do a proper pistol squat. That's something I'd really like to build up to, and I was pleased with how close I can come to doing one. It seems like my main problem is balance, as I can lower myself down on one leg and get myself back up without strength issues; however, I kept falling backward or tipping sideways unless I held onto the side of a machine.

I'm going to keep working on them to see if I can gain a bit more stability. I think one aspect of it is a lack of core strength, so if I can improve my core strength I'll be able to keep my whole body tighter and thus more balanced.

14. Bradley326

Today's Workout:
    Incline Bench Press: 145x5x5
    Seated OHP (dumbbells): 55x5x5
    Inside-grip Pull-ups: BWx5x5
    Planks: 3 at 35sec each
    One-legged body weight squats (on a box to help with balance)
    Stretching for legs and lower back

I got to the real gym today so I was able to bang out a full workout. I was a little annoyed because this pony-tailed, muscle-head douchebag took the box I was using for my squats when I walked away for a few seconds to do a set of pull ups. It was sitting right next to my floor mat, towel, hoodie, and notebook so it should have been pretty clear that I was using it. It wasn't important, since I had just finished using it, but the fact that they didn't even think to ask before walking off with it really irked me.

15. Bradley326

Today's Workout:
    Side planks and knee raises for core strength
    Various isolation exercises for arms, shoulders, back, and chest
    Stretching for lower legs and back

The weather here is pretty nice 47 degrees, and I'm stuck inside all day working. I wish we could get a day like this on the weekend so I could take my bike out and get some real riding done. There is a strong possibility I'll be doing two centuries in one week: April 25 and May 2, so I want to get out and start riding to build my conditioning back up. I occasionally do the stationary bike at the gym, but I really can't stand doing boring, stationary cardio.

Despite what the groundhog predicted, here's hoping for a short winter!

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How long does it take you to do a Century ride?

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We're of the same mindset when it comes to stationary cardio.

Two centuries in one week is very impressive.

18. Bradley326

I wouldn't call it impressive until I actually do it. At this point I think ambitious is a better word. :lol:

I've only ever done one official century ride, and my time was about 6:45, which means I kept an average pace of 15mph. My normal training/recreational rides in the spring and summer are usually 40 - 80 miles, and I generally average about 15mph on those as well.

Today's Workout:
    None.

I'm insanely busy with work today so I won't have time to get to the gym. It's alright though, because I'm feeling kind of sore from the last two days and my schedule has become a bit out of whack due to the day switching I did earlier this week. So I'm going to take today off and get back to my regular schedule and workouts tomorrow. I might try going for a brisk walk this afternoon if one of my meetings ends earlier than scheduled.

Lasagna tonight!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

:drool:
    Since I read "Get Up", a book about the dangers of sitting excessively, I also try to incorporate walking more. I never really thought about how much I sit (which is a lot) until reading that book, yet I think myself as being physically active. :confused: