1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Back Spasm help

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by hornguy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. hornguy

hornguy Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I was hospitalized with back spasms yesterday and was wondering whether anyone else had experience with this injury. Any pointers to speed recovery would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently on Flexaril for muscle relaxation and some pain killers. I was wondering how long it takes to recover from this injury in particular.

2. Croz

Croz Active Member

hornguy, sorry to hear about your injury. I've been there before, many times. Nothing more fun than belly crawling to the bathroom because you can't stand.

Flexeril, pain killers, rest. That's pretty much the ticket. Some recommend heat, some cold. I've done well with 15-30 minutes heat followed by 60 minutes with no heat.

Jut be careful. If you're not, then the spasms can actually damage the muscles and the recovery will be a lot longer.

3. hornguy

hornguy Well-Known Member

Kk, ty. I've been taking it really easy. Today I did 30min of walking int he morning, and I'll probably do that for the next couple days. No heavy lifting for a while yet... bah. ty for the response!

4. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

Glad you're back on your feet. You might want to find a good physical therapist -- especially in case anyone starts talking to you about surgery. I had sciatica once and was referred for surgery. Yikes. But a physical therapist helped in less than six weeks. All better, despite having a slipped disk. A big help was the stretching exercises she recommended. Good luck.