1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Back for more

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Chadster, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Its been forever since I've been here to track things and I only recognize half the names I see in the forums (if that!).

Things are cruising along - I graduated with honors with the MBA degree, we bought 2.5 acres in a subdivision and are preparing to build a house and other things are moving along. About 2 years ago I was promoted to Vice President of one of the departments in my company so that was good, I get to train/mentor young talent which I really enjoy.

And I'd like to lose about 40 lbs of flab because my focus on fitness has been spotty while all this other stuff was going on. My wife and I are working to do this together. She has become very sedentary and her health has slid as a result. She had a Dr. appt this week which did not go well and I'm being supportive in anything she does to get off the couch. So I plan to journal things here to keep me accountable for my own behavior as well as try to offer her whatever I can.

In 2003-2004 I lost about 97 lbs and I was in decent shape, working out regularly and being a regular member here until probably 2008 or 2009. Then a lot of career/education focus happened until recently. Now its time to refocus on my health.

So my first goal is to do a nutrition plan and then plan regular exercise and lifting. The only things I know for sure are that I need to blow the dust off my BFFM binder and other information and refresh myself on them.

I will need a minimum of 1 cheat meal, Sunday lunch after church with the parents. I'm thinking I'll need at least 1 more cheat per week on Thursday evening when we meet with friends for dinner.

So once I finalize things I will post them and the ball will be rolling!

2. Chadster

So far I've been doing soup and salads with grilled chicken breast. I did eat a cookie today with lunch (a cup of soup). Yesterday I hit the elliptical and this morning I did deadlifts. Not eating 100% clean but doing 90% better than I have been. Protein shake and protein bar thrown in the mix also.

3. Chadster

Been doing pretty well with exercise/lifting. Today I hit the elliptical and did deadlifts, and also mowed and worked outside. Tomorrow morning I will do some more cardio as well as some dumbell work. Food has been good except for today. Wife wanted pizza and I ate some.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice to see you posting again. :tucool:

5. Chadster

Thank you, sir! I miss the old gang. We need to get everyone back in gear. :nod:

Today was mostly good, especially good for a Sunday. We always go to church and then have lunch with mom and dad. Dad can't get out at all anymore so we go visit with him. I pretty much write off Sundays as having a cheat meal for lunch. Today I had a salad with grilled chicken but also had 3 shortbread cookies. We baked chicken breasts for dinner tonight and I'll have a whole-grain english muffin later for dessert.

This morning I hit the elliptical and did some dumbell lifts. Good workout.

We bought a "new" (used) treadmill today. I had given my old one away about 5 years ago to a friend who had a heart attack and major weight issues. It was a very basic model and did not have incline settings or programs, just speed adjustment and timer. At that time I "switched" to a nice elliptical which I still use regularly. My wife does not like ellipticals at all so I got us this treadmill to add to the mix. This "new" treadmill has incline settings, pre-programmed workouts with hills, and it has a 1/4 mile track that shows progress as if you were walking/running track. Plus it has a cushioning system that will be nice.
    :tu: I look forward to doing some jogging and running this fall/winter/spring on it. I haven't jogged at all in probably a year and a half and I was never one to jog much more than a half a mile at a time as part of walking/jogging. So I would like to improve on that.

Wifey is looking at walking a 5k next year so I am being very supportive of that. :tucool: We will do it together and "train" together for it. When we first started dating back in the mid-90's she lived in town and walked everywhere she went. She stood at work all day and was very fit in terms of walking, etc. Then she had a series of medical issues and surgeries over a period of a couple years, her Dad died after a long illness, and she "retired" about 3 years ago from work. As a result her health/fitness has fallen way off. So I am very encouraged that she wants to start taking control of things. :nod:

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's great that your wife has taken an interest in getting fitter.

7. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome back!

8. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Another old timer. Welcome back.

9. Chadster

Thanks guys! Its good to "see" folks again here.

This morning I did squats before work.

This evening we went out for dinner to the West Texas Roudhouse. I ate about an ounce of peanuts, a bowl of chili and half a sweet potato. Pretty good day of eating/workout.

We re-arranged furniture and got the treadmill cleaned up and in place. Lots of lifting, moving and cleaning.

Our house is so small, which is why we plan to build a newer, bigger one. We have the treadmill in the living room because we don't have anywhere else for it. All my weights and equipment are in the spare bedroom. It'll be at least a year away but it'll be worth it in the end. :nod:

10. Chadster

My theme song for this thread. Love 5FDP.

Yesterday I had a cheat evening and day off from training. Wednesday I worked abs pretty hard and was in DOMS... so good!

Today was decent for eating, not great. Had a half-dozen french fries with lunch. :nono: Meh. I'll live to do better!

11. Chadster

Lots of working out today. Did 45 minutes on the treadmill at a 10% grade, then did squats. :bb: Legs are tired and I'm very hungry.

Wifey made some chicken/brocolli/cheese casserole and it is oh so good.

Start weight was 248.
    Current weight is 244.

:tucool:

12. Chadster

This morning I did deadlifts and abdominal work. Good workout and I might hit the treadmill later on. :tucool: (EDIT - did 50 minutes at 10% incline!)

Food-wise, I had a big piece of bread with my salad at lunch. :nope: Meeeeeh. But I did pass on dessert at least. :whistle:

I'm starting to feel like my testosterone levels are ramping up, which is something I have not felt for probably 2 years. Even though I had been exercising sporadically while completing the MBA degree it was spotty and weak. This is a physiological thing where I feel aggressive and even mildly violent thoughts rather than tired, lethargic and passive. It feels almost like a natural high of some sort. I've been lifting very regularly for about 2 weeks or so now so we will see how things progress.

#12 Chadster, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  13. Chadster

This morning lifted with focus on arms and shoulders. :bb:

Meeeeh food day. Chicken quesadilla for lunch and 4 pcs of ravioli and salad for dinner.

14. Chadster

Hard to believe its been almost a week since I posted!

This past week was pretty stressful at work and my wife was stressed about her work & activities. When I experience stress I tend to sleep rather than exercise. As in, when I have no plans or responsibilities I pass out in the recliner. Its like mental exhaustion causes implied physical exhaustion. I did get in some arm/shoulder work and squats but very little cardio.

Food choices were meeeeh... better than I had been doing but inconsistent. For the past 8 months I had been shoveling in anything/everything I wanted whenever I wanted it, and now I've been doing a lot better but had a couple binges in there this week. This week I did light breakfasts (usually a protein bar or whole wheat english muffin and piece of cheese), a bowl of chili for lunch and whatever we had for dinner. That was the good. Tuesday I ate 2 Sarris chocolate bars in mid-afternoon :nono: Stress binge!

Yesterday I did a ton of yard work on the new property. Shoveled probably a dozen wheelbarrow loads of stone and hauled them around. Mowed 4 hours, etc. I did great with food until a get-together with friends last night. Ate some peanut-butter Ritz sandwich crackers, a snack-size bag of SunChips and some popcorn :nono: Stress binge!

Today I did deadlifts - 5x8 at 16 lbs heavier than I was doing. Food-wise, no binging but my appetite is screaming.

Tomorrow morning my goal is a good bout of cardio before work and some ab work.

When my wife is stressed out and brings it home, it tends to stress me out double. And I sleep and binge eat. :confused: So I need to deal with that moving forward. :nod:

15. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Working out is the best cure for stress :tu:

16. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Do you need food choices? Do you use whey protein?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

17. Chadster

@ Too Much - Yes! :tu:

@ Lefty - I do protein shakes but not every day. I do a Detour protein bar each day, either for breakfast or a late-night snack. Protein shakes are breakfast a couple days a week.

When I binge, its usually at work or late at night and the food is whatever is there. I haven't been nearly as bad as I was but I still have work to do there.

18. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

19. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Looks like its just a matter of time until you get into a routine of eating healthy all day long.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2