1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Back after one awful year... Need help on plan

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Gance, May 24, 2013.

1. Gance

Gance Active Member

Hello all, it's been quite a long time. Last year to almost mid this year I went through a horrible stream of sickness, food poisoning, and injuring that ruined all progress that I had made around last year.

Medial Epicondilitis is still a bit of an issue and I'm being very cautious. If I tap my elbow I still get a funnybone type of shock through my arm to my fingers and it still seems a tad sensitive when I put gripping stress on it. However, it has healed to the point where I can do squats, bench, and other things again without any lasting inflamation or severe pain. It has taken a long time. In addition to that and some rather severe sickness, it has been a rough, depressing year.

You never knew how strong you are, until you injure yourself and have to earn it all back. I need your help on how to get back to glory.:mad:

I'm 78.3 kilos, 5'8 with the following workout plan. (I've been progressing very cautiously since I don't want to reinjure my arm. I think it may be just the nerve and not the tendon anymore but I don't know)

Workout A
    Squat 60k 3x8
    Bench 40k 3x8
    45 Degree Row 25k 3x8
    DB Bicep Curl 9 kilo 3x8

Workout B
    Squat (Same as above)
    Press 20k 3x8
    Deadlift 40k 2x8
    Tricept extension 3x8

Diet aiming for is 40p/40c/20f around 1900 calories.

I feel fat and weak, and I hate it. But damn, I'm so fucking happy to be able to workout again after such a devastating year. I had been trying to progress very slowly, while reducing fat and edging my body back into exercise. Yes, I know some lifts are VERY low. I'm less than half what I used to be able to do. I was previous at Squats of 95 kilos 5x8 (Not high, but not low like now)

My questions are these:

Should I aim for fat loss, or aim to build up muscle mass and strength?

Any recommendations of how to progress in regards to my arm or things to be careful of?

Any general advice?

Thank you so much for the support I've always received here. I deeply appreciated it. Gotta get back to myself. Hope to within six months.

:tu:

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Only you can decide if you want to drop fat or aim for strength. I get the impression your main worry at the moment is strength more then fat. If so build.

I'm not sure what's wrong with your arm but have you considered lower reps? 10x3 with increased weight might be easier on the arm then 3x8. But it depends on what the issue is.

3. Gance

Gance Active Member

Thanks for the post :)

Yeah, I'm a bit torn right now for various reasons. I feel fat (and I'm a bit pudgy since that muscle had turned to fat over the time. Normally, I would go for strength right away and worry about the fat later, but of course the fear of reinjuring that tendon is there... Of course that is only a choice I can make, but hoped to run into someone with similar experience getting back into things after an injury.

4. petvan

petvan Active Member

Any reason you'd not just eat around maintenance and see how you progress? I've been doing that since Sept and probably lost 4-5lb of fat and put on the same in muscle.

P

5. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

This. :nod:

Start at a baseline, give it a few weeks and see how you react to it....then make adjustments.

6. Gance

Gance Active Member

Thank you for the advice guys. I've been aiming for around maintenance right now and doing fairly decent. I've notice that while my elbow is a bit angry at the start of a workout or set, it calms down significantly, and isn't a problem at all after I am finished.

So far things seem rather positive.

7. Gance

Gance Active Member

Short update. Weight is the same still, but deadlift is back to 60 kilos :) Really really weak for a deadlift, but this is a deadlift after the injury to the tendon.

It used to be that I couldn't do the bar without pain and problems gripping. Now, while it hurts a tiny bit at first, the pain goes away and no lasting problem after I finish. Feels great to be making progress again...