1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Avoiding fast food

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Antimatter, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Antimatter

Antimatter Well-Known Member

I'm one of those persons that LOVES fast food. It just tastes great. How does one go about getting rid of the cravings for it?

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

What is your goal? What is your reason for achieving your goal? They'll have to be stronger than your love for fast food tastes for you to change your body...

Look at the calories in your favorite meal. Look at the preservatives, strangely processed ingredients, empty calories in the sodas, fries, fatty, oily cheeses...

You've got to have a powerful reason to change that drives you to quell strong cravings... lest change elude you. I should know... it took me four years to find a reason to change. I gave all that junk up, and I do still have it (once, maybe twice a month to satisfy cravings) but ... otherwise, it's a non-issue. Eating a basket of fries is no where near as cool as being able to see my body perform better and get leaner and stronger.

-R

3. Antimatter

Yeah- I know- I kept 100% clean cutting diet for a month before labor day. Since then its been out of control. I hope I dont have a hidden eating disorder. They say fast food is addicting. Well, Im gonna start cutting agin tomorrow till I get lean again and stay away from mcd's/

4. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Ding Ding Ding. I'd like to bet that's your answer.

5. vatechguy

vatechguy Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think thats the ticket. If you don't plan what you're going to be eating - junk is an easy answer. I agree with Bluestreak though - it's all about your goals. If your goals aren't all that important to you - have another cheeseburger and don't sweat it.

For someone who's really ready to give it whatever it takes to see their abs (for the first time in my life) - every bite that goes in - goes in for a purpose and is scutized with said goal in mind. "Will this help me see my abs this year?"

You're right - junk food is addicting because it's full of fat and chemicals telling you to want it. Plan your meals and don't let yourself get (overly) hungry in the first place.

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

You could eat one fast food meal per week on a cheat day if you exercised regularly - and I bet you'd lose weight. Eat clean for one solid week, but once a week, maybe Saturday for lunch or something, reward yourself and have a burger and fries (not a large... just a regular!). Show some restraint. You control what you eat - you don't let what you eat control you. Think about it. Use your head.

Listen, I had one full cheat day every week for 15 weeks and I lost 37-lbs. doing that. I was doing cardio up to ten times per week and following the Body-for-Life principles. Man, it worked, and I didn't feel deprived or guilty because I earned it. I was good, I rewarded myself. And I wanted a goal... all in how bad you want it, man.

-R

7. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

It tastes great? Yikes...

Seriously... get away from it for a few more weeks and you'll come to loathe it. Take the money you'd normally spend on fast food and save it for a month. Then take yourself out to a real restaurant and enjoy the treat.

8. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I have to say I think part of the reason a lot of people "go crazy" is because of comments like that. They come here and ask for advice, are told to completely stay away from anything that even resembles "junk", stick to it for a few weeks/months and then what do ya know, they go crazy and fall off the wagon.

This is of course purely my opinion, but I see it happen all too often.

Don't eat 100% clean every second of every week. You're human, you want junk food just like the rest of the world. Hell, there's a reason such a disgustingly high number of people are obese. However, those who use moderation are those who can enjoy a healthy balance. By torturing yourself by eliminating everything you love is only going to lead to failure... 97% of the time. Some people can do it, most can't.

Work your ass off all week, eat well, hit the gym, do your cardio. Once (or even twice -- all depends on your body) a week, go out and enjoy whatever it is you want. If it's fast food, have it. If it's a higher quality dinner out, get that instead. Don't force yourself to suffer because when push comes to shove, no matter how much you want to achieve your goals, you often will fall off the wagon a hell of a lot faster than you got on.

9. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Addictions to fast food are really addictions to fried fats, etc. Giving up something like that is really simply a matter of willpower. Distance yourself enough from it and your body will detox and decide it no longer needs it. Give in to it, especially if you are psychologically addicted, and you will run a much higher risk of falling off the wagon. Personally I believe that's an even greater risk than the temptation you face for the first few weeks while "trying to resist.

It's just junk food. You deserve to treat your body better. And when you want a treat, give yourself great real food... not trans-fat soaked fake-meats and starch-pressed buns... This is one area where I truly believe going cold-turkey is the smart choice.

Now, to my cultural comment about the taste... ;)

10. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

How about this...everytime you want to buy fast food, take the money you were going to spend and put it in a jar and then eat something healthy. Then when a cheat day comes around, take all the money out and get yourself a really nice five star meal. Do you think that would help you at all?

11. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Also, next time you are in a fast food joint take a good look around at the people eating there. Ask yourself how they got so big....eating too much? Well yes, that and too often the wrong things liked fried greasy high empty calorie foods.
    Ask yourself if you want to be that large? It's really sobbering especially when I see 12 year olds that probably weigh as much as I do (that's sad really, for them and for me .....I really need to bulk :D )

You need to convince yourself that fried fatty foods have no taste. The grease smell should become synonomous with the smell of crap. Fresh is best.
    One idea, you could try turning your craving for the greasy stuff into a craving for something else less harmful.

Another way is when you crave fast food go there but order something different, ween yourself off slowly.....maybe get a kids sized meal so at least you don't overdo the portion size. Get your taste and then get out OR order a completely different meal than the typical burger and fries.....say a chicken salad or chicken breast burger (non-crispy)....do that for a while.....eventually you'll realize that you could make it yourself a lot cleaner and for cheaper. You realize it's a waste of time eating there.

Or If you really have to hit a "Fast-food" place.....wander in to Subway for a chicken, turkey or roast beef sub....hold the mayo....the worst you'll do to yourself is take in a lot more salt than you should.

I know, I used to work at a department store that had a Mcdonalds on site......for almost 2 years I had Rotten Ronnies for dinner :o :p . I don't put on fat easily and my usual weight up till then was around 150-a60. Well I went up to 180-190 over that period and then some (thanks to that and a lot of other poor processed crappy choices....pepsi is another empty calorie killer) I loved the taste....especially the fries drenched in vinegar and ketchup. Getting off of it was purely a cold turkey experience. I said no more....today is day one....now the smell for me is completely the opposite.....occasionally, the old feeling comes back (I totally know how ex-smokers feel) but I'm able to deal through it. Usually looking at the really large people enjoying their meal is enough to make me clear out of there.

In fact I was so happy when I realized that my kids don't really like that food.....they never eat the fries, barely eat the burger and all they want is the stinking 0.50 cent toy that you pay 5 bucks for. So we take them to Subway....they love making their own sandwhich, it's the lesser of the evils (provided you make the right choices) and it sits better with me.

#11 Gordo, Sep 9, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  12. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

Yep, I work my ass off all week for (now) Saturdays on the couch with college football, pizza, beer, chips, you name it. Because of the hard work the other 6 days a week, I am in danger of weighing less than 200lbs for the first time in 15 years.

Yep. Fast food is um, fast
    and easy, and convenient. It is on practically ever corner where I live (hmmmmmmmmmmm, kinda like liquor stores in the ghetto)

Yikes is right. Certain types of fast food taste good at certain times (mostly when excessive alcohol is involved). I find that if I want a burger and fries I drive to somewhere where a REAL burger is served. Often, the idea of having to get out and actually drive somewhere to eat keeps me in the house.

Yep, look at fast food places and you'll find fat people. Find people at a bar at 1:30am on a Tuesday night? You'll find the same losers.

I'm suprised the Jack-in-the-Box across from my house can actually keep the lights on anymore. They used to send me a Christmas card for god sakes!!! Nothing as unhealthy as being on a first name basis with the korean guy that works there at 2am!!!!!

-Steve

13. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

You don't. You simply don't give in to them. I have an insatiable sweet tooth and have my entire life. I only stay thin through resisting it.

14. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I've been eating healthily for about 6 months now, and have not had to struggle with temptations to eat junk food.

Before I started out, I used to binge on junk every single day.

Am I having to "force myself to suffer" now? Nope. In my opinion, based on my short time of doing this so far, if you think in terms of clean eating being something you force yourself to do, something you suffer, something that's a scrifice, you are adopting the thought patterns that led to unhealthy eating in the first place.

By remedying your outlook - by knowing that healthy food is a treat, healthy food is a reward, healthy food is a delight and makes your life more enjoyable, directly and immediately as well as over the longterm - it won't even occur to you to think that avoiding bad food is a big restriction in your life.

Someone will offer you some junk food, and you'll think, why would I want to put that shit in my body? Why would I want to fuel myself with something inferior? Am I not more worthy than that? Fast food manufacturer's want you to eat their crap instead of healthy stuff that helps you reach your goals. Don't you find that insulting of them?

I respect that fact that everybody is different, and I'm only stating how it all appears to me - which is that I cannot understand this thing about needing cheat meals or cheat days, etc. To me, that is having one foot in one camp and one in another. Do you want your lover to make love to you six days a week and punch your face on the seventh? Do you want to win at a sport six days a week and lose on the seventh? No. So what's the difference?

15. brezman

brezman Well-Known Member

I've never been able to make the transition to thinking (and actually believing) that I don't want junk food. Because I do want it, and it does taste good.

Moderation is key, I eat junk less frequently and in much smaller portions, and doesn't stop me from dropping fat when I want to.

16. derm

derm Well-Known Member

This guy said what I was thinking. Great post.

17. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

I used to think that way, too. I remember seeing people eating ice cream and thinking "man, what a waste. That won't make them healthier!" At this point I was 17 and had been working out hard for maybe a year or so. In time, though, I felt intoa bit of apathy, as people are almost always going to do and then I wanted my junk again. I still avoided it for the most part but gone were the times when I didn't even miss it. Even people who typically suck at losing weight and keeping it off can do it for a short while but they generally gain it back because they get too comfortable with what they've accomplished--to used to the routine. It's easy enough to pretend that you no longer care about junk food-- and it may not even be pretending--for a while but after 6 months or 12 months or 5 years that will be the test, to see if you STILL see junk food in that negative fashion. I know it's garbage, obviously, but it's a primal thing that is hard to fight when we talk about how good it tastes. No matter how one rationalizes it the fact is a big mac meal with fries and a coke tastes better than lean chicken breast and carrots. It always will, even if for a period of time you're so caught up in the new approach to life that you think it doesn't...

Granted there are a SCANT FEW people who truly don't like junk food, but chances are that if you lived for 25 years liking it you're going to live for another 60 liking it as well. Junk food (carbs, fat, grease) tie into our instinctive need to fuel our bodies. M&Ms and KFC hit those receptors a lot better than skim milk and tofu. So for most of us we'll always have to have our rational sense of junk food being bad for us competing with the instinctive love of it.

18. Antimatter

See. after a month of hardcore cutting I guess I was just holding my breath, and the whole last week was the exhale. Now I am getting back to healthy again but I fear it will take the same amount of time to burn off the fat again. I admit wholeheartedly I love junk food and always will, I thought I had it shaked but evidently not. So what should I do, burn the fat again and then "cheat" whenever I feel like it? Like whenever I get the urge instead of holding off for some wondeful cheat-filled weekend?