1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Average time to Run a Mile

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by dtmheat, Oct 9, 2007.

1. dtmheat

dtmheat Active Member

I'm 5'6 and weigh 158lbs. Last night I ran a mile in 9min 45 secs, is that an average, above average or poor time?
    Also, from what I understand, a mile burns about 100 calories regardless of the time it takes to run it, right?

Thanks!

2. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

We need to know your age.

Yes, roughly.

3. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

This is just a guess, but it's probably near the average for the typical sedentary American adult. (i.e. not very good at all)

The 100 calories is a rule of thumb, but the number for each person is different because it depends largely on bodyweight. But, yeah the pace isn't really important if you're considering only the calories burned during the actual workout.

#3 Andrew, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  4. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

A: Your time translates roughly into a relative VO2max of 30 or so, maybe a bit less. Unless you are 60 years old or older, it's a poor result for a male. The good news is that there is a lot of room for improvement.

B: It might be about 100 Calories for you but it really depends a lot on weight, and it's not really independent of time.

5. user786

user786 Active Member

hi Zen
    whats the formula to work out vo2?

6. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

7. Devery

Devery Well-Known Member

I would aim for at least 2 minute 1/4 mile lap times (8 min mile). At 158 lbs, you can do it.

8. user786

user786 Active Member

umm..acording the calculator the 8 minute mile is average!!:confused:
    and i thought that 8 minute mile was good..im sure if i picked a average joe of the street they would struggle to get a 8 min mile...

9. charlesg

charlesg Active Member

I guess one component we forget is how long the total run is. If you can keep up an 8 min/mile for 10 miles or more, hats off. For an amateur runner I think that's a good pace. You would brake the 4hr mark on a marathon so... If we are talking about a 1/4 mile or 1 mile sprint at your "I may collapse at the end but I don't care" pace, than no, 8 min/mile is not very good.

10. user786

user786 Active Member

Now that makes more sense :tu:

11. Big_D

Big_D Active Member

For track the average was mid-5's. In high school anyways.

12. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I don't know what you're trying to do, and I'm not a runner. But I can run a mile, or two. And if it takes me 15 minutes I don't care. I'm not in a race, it's exercise.

13. goofnut

goofnut Well-Known Member

My personal opinion, ..I think a person in "ok" condition should be looking at running a mile in 7.5 minutes. I used to be a casual jogger and thats about what I did. It just takes consistent training over time. I think with a bit of effort and time you should be able to get down to 7 minutes. If you can get down to 6 minutes you can be proud of that....so to break it down, I doubt the average guy on the street can run a mile in 8 minutes, but people who have been training for awhile can, and as they get better they get closer to 7 minutes. If you can reach 6 minutes it's not a huge deal, but it does separate you from the pack and is a bit impressive, IMO. I'm about 53 and have a back problem so I mainly walk on the treadmill at an incline and alternate that with working on the cybex arc trainer, but I think next summer I'll go to a track to see what I can do. I'd be dissapointed if it was over 8 minutes.

14. newcomer

newcomer Active Member

I run a mile in about 6 mins but I always thought my pace is quick and would rather run slower for longer distances. I would like to aim at running two miles without stopping in about 15 mins.

EDIT: Just measured the distance I run on wikimapia.org. It turned out to be 0.8 miles.

#14 newcomer, Oct 10, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  15. fullpen

fullpen Active Member

i'm 5'7", 159 lbs. I can run a single mile in well under 8 minutes if I choose to. I rarely run just a mile though, I try to go for 2.5 miles at a time and I slow my pace down to a shade quicker than what your are doing.

Biggest tip I can give you: forget what average means or whatever the hell benchmark people worry about. Compare yourself to last week, last month. The only better person that matters is a better you. Focus on your improvement.

I started running honestly at the beginning of this summer. I was mad out of shape and I couldn't hardly run a mile in under 12 minutes. Not even 5 full months later I've made EPIC improvements. You can do it if you want to. I couldn't care less if I ever hit a 7 or 6 minute mile in my life. I just know I'm a hell of a lot faster, healthier, and most importantly, happier for it.

16. charlesg

charlesg Active Member

I am 100% with you on this one fullpen... You are your own best benchmark. Try to improve first, than maintain a bit, improve some more and so on. You can apply this simple rule to pretty much everything you do without worrying about what everybody else is doing.

17. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.
    Bronze Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Let's not forget the original poster is from England, so he's measuring in metric. :rolleyes: I'm 43, have been running consistantly for three years, and my best time in the 5K (3.1 miles) is 22.20ish, which is a 7.11 pace.

18. Rise

Rise Active Member

i used to be able to run a 5 min (flat) mile. now... i'm thinking i might be able to do it in 7.5mins, and that's pushing it. i doubt the 8 min mile avg is done with "off the street" people and is probably more likely for high school kids. in high school, guys had to run the mile in under 7.5 or 8 mins and the girls had to do it under 9.5 or 10 mins (hard to remember now). those are the goals i would start to shoot for if i was trying to get back down to a 5 minute mile... which now sounds like a summer challenge :whistle: