1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

August 2011 TSM: burntmatch2003

Discussion in 'Transformation Spotlights' started by John Stone, Aug 1, 2011.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Excuses. You hear that word a lot on fitness web sites, and it's a word that comes up a lot in these transformation spotlights. Why? It's simple: people who make excuses never get anywhere, and those who stop making excuses reach their goals every single time. This month's transformation spotlight features forum member "burntmatch2003" (Jon), and is yet another stellar example of just how quickly and drastically things change for the better when you stop saying "I can't, because..." and simply "do". Since March of this year Jon has lost almost 50 pounds, sobered up and whipped himself into great shape. Read on and discover how he changed his life in just a few short months...

BEFORE
    :
    Jonweightlossday1.jpg

CURRENT:
    IMG_0111.jpg

Why did you decide to make a transformation?

Back in March I stepped on the scale that I had bought a few months prior, only to discover that my weight was the highest it had ever been at a little over 205 lbs. That day I started searching online for articles and information to point me in the right direction as to how to go about losing some weight, and in the process I stumbled onto JSF. To be completely honest at first I thought it was just another fitness site like so many others that just want your money. After browsing around (and not finding the big flashing "pay here to look your best" button) I realized that the site was the real thing. Seeing the pictures and records of John's and others transformation was really the tipping point in my decision to lose weight.

What sort of planning did you do before you started?
    I spent a lot of time looking at information about what the best types of workouts were to lose weight, nutrition articles, and the kinds of supplements I would need. When I was a sophomore in high school I took a weight training class and I remembered some of the basic exercises, so the majority of my time was spent trying to figure out what I needed to eat (or not eat rather), and finding a good workout program.

What were your initial goals?
    Initially I just wanted to get back to my prior weight of 180-185 lbs.

What was your diet and supplement intake like?
    After doing a bunch of reading I stuck to the typical diet of only whole wheat carbs, lean meats, and green veggies. Fish oil, a multi-vitamin, protein powder, and a pre-workout supplement were/are the only supplements I take.

What was your training like?
    My workout routine was similar to the one John has listed on his initial weight loss routine. It consisted of weight lifting 3-4 days a week and doing cardio in between those days. Towards the end I incorporated cardio on days I weight trained as well.

What obstacles did you encounter, and how did you overcome them?
    Finding the time to do all of the training was one of the biggest things. Being a married, full-time college student with a part time job doesn't leave too much time, but luckily the gym at my university is open 7 days a week until 11 PM, so that definitely helped. During this time my wife decided she wanted to workout too, so we would go together. Even though the gym isn't the most romantic place (and by that I mean nothing is romantic about the smell of straight up dude) just having that ability to be in the same room with my wife is really what helped me get through most of those long, exhausting workouts.

How has your life changed?
    Since getting serious about lifting back in March and losing close to 50 lbs. (I overshot just a bit), I feel physically and mentally healthier than I ever have in my entire life. I started training around the same time I went into one-on-one counseling to help deal with a lot of different issues including alcoholism and I really do believe that the physical training combined with the therapy has been two of the best decisions I've ever made. It has been a big aid in my journey for sobriety.

How did John Stone Fitness and/or the JSF Forums help you?
    JSF and the JSF Forums were two of the biggest resources. Seeing the success of so many people and the positive feedback from fellow members helped remind me that my goals were achievable. Having all of John's nutrition and workout info. was also a BIG help for me as well.

What advice would you offer to others?
    One of the things that really helped me the most was to stop making excuses for myself. A lot of people, myself included, have tried working out and/or changing eating habits before and quit after a few weeks or sometimes a few days. It wasn't until I stopped making excuses as to why I couldn't do this or that, that I started seeing results and applying that mentality in other areas of my life has helped put a lot of things in order.

What are your future plans?
    I can't wait to put on some muscle :D

Any closing thoughts?
    I would just like to again thank John for having this site with all of its resources. It has helped many people in so many ways other than just working out. I'd also like to thank my Wife for her love and support of me no matter what I choose to do. I love you Natalie.

Congratulations on your excellent and inspiring transformation, Jon! Way to buckle down and get it done! :tucool:

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Congrats on your transformation! :tucool:
    You couldn't have picked a better role model than John.

3. BJ

BJ Active Member

4. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

congratulations! :tucool:

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Nice job. :tu:

6. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

AWESOME WORK!! congrats on your progress!!

7. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Forgot to addd... Major props for your sobriety. That is going to weigh heavily in your fitness and health goals, not to mention other arena's of your life.

8. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Congratulations man. Seeing your story makes me realize I need to tighten up the belt and so I can get on the path to my own TSM. Thanks for sharing your story and keep it up

9. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Very nicely done! Keep it up!:tucool:

10. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Solid progress there burnt, great job! :tucool:

11. burntmatch2003

burntmatch2003 Active Member

Thanks everybody for your kind words and inspiration. It's people like you that make these life goals a little easier.

12. Denver

Denver Active Member

wow, congratulations, im looking to do the same as you!