1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

At a crossroads, advice needed.

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by GatorDeb, Jun 9, 2010.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

On 7/3/09 I started at 215 lbs (heaviest 230 lbs) and got down to about 140 lbs. Now I hover between 140 and 150, most of the time staying at 145 or so. Been the same weight for about 3 months. But in those three months I went from 31.7% body fat to 27% body fat. And I stopped using the BodyBugg and calorie counting and just guesstimating in these past three months and trying to eat what I burn.

So is 4.7% body in three months good enough progress? I'm thinking of going back to calorie counting for a couple of months, I want to get to 135 and stay there for a while, then 125 and stay there for a while, then 115 and stay there for a while. Goal 110 but I have about 15-20 lbs of loose skin on me (waiting three years before deciding on surgery). I try to minimize fat and maximize protein.

Keep doing what I'm doing, go back to counting calories? Go back to a deficit? 500, 1000? Stay at no deficit? Go to a surplus?

Is it true you CANNOT build muscle at anything less than a surplus?

Thanks! :)

BTW physically I've gone leaps and bounds. 1 hr 10K, 7:49 mile, etc.

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    First off, congrats on your progress. That's some nice work right there.

Now for your questions.

Is 4.7% in three months good enough progress?

That depends on how YOU feel about it, but my response would be yes, given that you have been able to eat "in moderation" without being particularly diligent about tracking etc. I usually recommend a guideline of 2% per month as a maximum, so you are right in the range that I'd suggest.

Is it true that you cannot build muscle at anything less than a surplus?

No... and you've proved it. If your weight has stayed the same, and your body fat % has gone down, then you must have gained muscle (unless you are retaining a LOT of water) while eating at "maintenance."

Keep doing what I'm doing, go back to counting calories? Go back to a deficit? 500, 1000? Stay at no deficit? Go to a surplus?

Again, that's up to you, depending on your goals. Since it seems you want to lose another "chunk" of weight, I'd say to go back to counting calories and calculate how much per week you want to lose to be at that scale number by a certain date, and then adjust your intake accordingly.

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Thanks :) However I'm afraid that if I go back to calorie-counting that I will lose the muscle I've build. How do I lose weight while keeping the muscle?

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

GatorDeb, your fears are the norm, but the goals you're seeking are no longer mythological... yet perfectly attainable. :cool:

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

The legendary Mastover!! :) What I really want to do is build muscle and lose weight/fat at the same time. Sigh.

6. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Legendary?? :lol:

Build muscle and lose weight?? Gee, this is a request I've never received before. :cool:

7. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Yes, legendary :)

I'm going to do it with a 1K deficit for two weeks and see how it goes. 2 hours exercise leaves me with 1600 calories to eat. Those two hours are going to be my outdoors boot camp and either biking/running/cardio. Then going to alternate legs and arms weights every day of the week to counteract muscle loss. And eat every two hours or so. We'll see how it goes.