1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

ARTICLE:Red meat is strongly linked to cancer.

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by MGB, Jan 17, 2005.

1. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

So is everything else on the planet, in some way. I'll take my chances with a good steak on my plate. :cool:

-R

3. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

i didnt read the article but have heard this before. i believe it is not the meat itself but the carcinogens formed from cooking it over a flame. ill take mine rare thanks. not :mad:

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

5. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

I love beef and I love my weber grill. Nothing is getting between us :D

6. daDUDE

daDUDE Well-Known Member

i dont eat beef or pork... so it doesn't amtter to me... but a little cant hurt... its like verything... dont over do it

7. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

...in later news, birth is strongly linked with death. Life is a terminal condition!

...Sleeping is strongly linked to nightmares. Better stop sleeping!

'Round these parts, beef is strongly linked with dinner! :eat:

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

haha...that tickled me

9. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i never read that article.

but i know for a fact that red meats arnt 100% digestable by the body. and over the years, there is a slow build up in the colon. which can lead to colon cancer

10. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

How do you know that fact?

11. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i was told that red meat isnt digested as well. and if indigested food that if it sits in your GI tract produces nasty by products that will increase your chances of colon cancer..that is why fiber is so important

from an educated peron

12. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

That is totally untrue... the "slow buildup" part, anyway. I don't know about the digestibility.

It is possible for fecal matter (or undigested meats) to become impacted and lodge in the digestive system. In most cases, the colon tissues eventually stretch so that stool can push its way around the impacted matter and still be evacuated. If this condition continues too long, however, the colon can stretch to the point that its nerves are no longer capable of receiving signals effectively, and the afflicted person loses voluntary control over the contraction of his bowel muscles and becomes incontinent.

Now, think about how long a person would have to suffer with a serious and painful affliction. In 1994, an Israeli man sought medical attention because he was suffering from severe constipation two days after having eaten a large quantity of pomegranates. He refused to allow doctors to adminster an enema, fled the hospital, and returned a week later in severe pain and bleeding from his rectum. This time the doctors operated to remove the impacted feces. How much fecal matter did they remove? Half a kilogram, or a little over a pound. Just one pound of impacted feces was causing extreme pain and rectal bleeding in this patient.

The human race has survived thousands of years eating red meat. I doubt highly I'll extend my life by decades cutting it out of my diet.

As the above post says, red meat is closely linked with DINNER!