1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Areas to measure

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by acousticblinding, Aug 3, 2009.

1. acousticblinding

acousticblinding Active Member

Quick question...I decided I was going to measure my progress along with taking pics. So what areas should I be measuring? I'm thinking: chest, belly, hips, and biceps but is there anything essential I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Those areas are good. I would probably do the "belly" in a couple different spots. One around your belly button, and maybe another one a bit lower (closer to your waist, or the top of where your pants are). You could also keep measurements of your neck and upper legs. It will be difficult to get the tape in the same spot every time for your legs, unless you have a mole or freckle. :)

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

That's not your waist. Most people today wear hip huggers or other low rise pants. My waist is about two inches ABOVE my belly button. If you're taller it 's likely even higher.

If your body type doesn't have a defined waist bend over at your side. Your body will bend at your waist.

4. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Also...

The US Navy uses:
    1. Measure at the nape of the neck (where your shirt collar fits)
    2. Chest (across the nipples)
    3. Abdomen (across the belly button, which is not the narrowest point.)

Just for my info only, I also measure forearm flexed (at the widest point), bicep flexed (at the peak), hips (about two inches below your waist) and wrist (at crease where bottom of palm joins at arm).

Of course, that's just me.:tu:

5. acousticblinding

acousticblinding Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I went with chest (around nipples), belly (around belly button), and waist. I might do my arms too.