1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

are you sure its okay to do LISS and HITT on same day?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by krosspyder, Aug 27, 2005.

1. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

at 1:00 pm I did LISS... 50 minutes fasted.

at 11:00 pm (night time) im going to do HIIT. 15-20 minutes or 25.

is this okay?

my cals for today will be around 2200-2300.
    maintenance is at 2800-2900

im 174-177LBS @ 11%-12% body fat. 5'8"
    meso-endo frame.

ive never done this before... ive only done (which im doing now) liss in morning and lifting in evening.... works just fine.

2. Savyart

Savyart Well-Known Member

Well, I don't see why not - though how on EARTH are you going to be able to sleep??? :eek: I can't sleep for a good 3-5 hrs after a HIIT.

I do a fasted LISS at about 5 AM, then I eat something... had out for about 30 min and then knock out my HIIT. So seperating them is probably no issue whatsoever. Minus the sleep thing, of course.

3. krosspyder

cool cool. no prbs with the sleep thing. on weekends i especially go to bed at around 3 or 4 am. in the week i try to hit the sack at around 1 pm.

yeah there will be about an 8 to 9 hour seperation.

im so eager to do this. ive never done it. i cant wait to kick this stuff up a notch. turn up the heat baby... abs are coming thru.

4. wvpumpkin

wvpumpkin Well-Known Member

Krospyder, why are you doing 2 types of cardio in one day? If it works for you with the fat loss, let me know. Also are you also lifting on that day, or opposite days???

5. krosspyder

ive been at fat loss (cutting... never bulking... not yet) since early dec. last year.
    ive dropped 60LBS. ive recently hit a plateau that i have recently (1.5 weeks ago) broke. I was maintiaing prior to my new program. Im on a different prorgram. ive changed stuff up about 4 to 5 times since dec to aid maximum fat loss. this next program or tweak in my training utilizes 2 a days. switching things up is the name of the game. ive never done two types of cardio in one day. ive only done lifting and cardio in one day. i never do HIIT and lifting in one day though... always liss like im doing now. prior to this everything was seprated... HIIT on its on day and lifting on its own day.. with one day used for LISS. now its changed. because of this ive come from 15-14% to where im at now 11-12% body fat. the maintainence level drop to where im at now lower cals and more training did it.

im not new to this at all. someone on my level should be able to handle two a days like this. not saying im advanced or an expert... but things that newbies can get by with to loose fat wont work for me.

6. brezman

brezman Well-Known Member

I've done it before, did it just yesterday actually.

It works...it sucks bustin your ass at night though only to wake up and do more cardio. Heh...the morning session gets a little tougher to get up for.

7. krosspyder

saweet. im stolked.

8. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

so how did the switch up go Kross? Seems in your sig you now say "Plateau busted!!!!"

9. krosspyder

it was a success man. im now at 12% where before i was at 15%.

:D

10. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Krosspyder,
    You know my philosophy. If it feels good, do it!!!!!! :tu:

11. Specialbear

Specialbear Well-Known Member

doing LISS in the morning and HIIT at night time is really great IMO for fatloss. Just make sure u eat correctly

dont do this every other day.... HIIT does a number on ur body

12. krosspyder

werd doordude!

yeah.. HIIT does do a number on your body... so two days out of the week is all i will be doing it.

im just not sure if 2300 or 2100 is okay cal intake for a day on hitt and liss.

im handling my hitt like i do my lifting... eat a good carb source with protein an hour before (vegetables and chicken) and 30 minutes before im doing a pwo shake consiting of a 1/2 cup (dry) of oatmeal and a scoop of whey with half a bannana as well as a 100% fruit pop. after hiit im consuming a pwo shake of 1/4 cup oatmeal (dry) and half scoop of whey with half a banana.

on days i lift... nothings a half of anything just the banana. oatmeal is 1/2 cup (dry) before and after as well as a full scoop of protein before and after.

ive got a lot of engergy because of this and dont seem to be loosing muscle only gaining and loosing fat so far.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's OK from some points of view but it's not entirely best if you go to sleep after that. When do you go to sleep?

The point here is that you are jacking up your metabolism to get some EPOC with the HIIT. But consider that you can't sleep until your body drops the metabolic rate way down. If the HIIT is cutting into your sleep you might not be getting all you want from the program.

I have this problem too - no way I can work out when I first get up, and often any supplemental stuff has to wait until just before bedtime. So I end up with lifting and cardio right next to each other in what is the middle of my day.

14. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Back when we recommended lowering calories, that did NOT include doubling your cardio. You should think about trying one major change at a time to see what the solution was. Just listen to your body, keep an eye on your stats to make sure you are not losing too fast meaning your muscle is at risk.

15. krosspyder

jsbrook told me to work with 2300 or a little bit above and he knew about the two a day deal i believe. at least thats my assumption.
    im not going to get 2100 on these days... ill shoot for 2300 at least.

16. krosspyder

yeah i hear ya. im doing hiit at about 10 pm and going to sleep at about 3 am or 4 am.

so im fine i think. i wake up at 10 am and then do liss.

go into work at 1... etc. etc.

17. krosspyder

well i did 9 intervals and after that my legs were absolutley spent man... taxed to the max. i sprinted half a lap and walked 1/4th of it. so i increased my duration on the hard and keep the duration about the same on the slow.

i was definitly more exhausted then the day before though my chest or breathing areas didnt hurt at all... i felt okay really... just my legs man... my legs were killing me. i skipped the cool down becuase my legs were throbbing though i kept my time in my intervals (25 minutes) the same.

awsome workout!

thnx for the advice!

18. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah I stay up way late too and that's how I get around it.

As long as you don't do so much HIIT that your EPOC takes you through bedtime you are fine.

I do a ton of cardio and that means that I don't get the metabolism down for more than a day, but at least going 7-8 hours gets me where I can sleep.

If you get your beauty sleep, then you're good to go. Knock yourself out.