1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Are You A pear Shape?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by mastover, Dec 15, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Hi gals, do you have wide hips and narrow shoulders? Then you have what's called the "Pear Shape". This makes you appear fatter and wider than you really are. This can be genetic. Having a wide bone structure is strictly a genetic trait that creates the the illusion of having fat hips. Here's my take on this... The biggest mistake I see women make to correct this imbalance is to do more cardio. To these women, "I'm going to the gym" means, "I'm going to do cardio". Big mistake. Doing lots of cardio will only make you a smaller pear. The good news is I have a weight training workout that will allow you to change your physique without using heavy weights. If you have a pear shape, give this workout a try:

MON:
    Squats: 4 sets of 10 reps (rest 60 seconds between sets) You can use dumbells here by holding them at your sides.
    Stiff Leg Dead Lifts with DB's: 4 sets of 12 reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 5 sets of 15 reps

WED:
    Superset: (no rest between exercises)
    Pushups on Knees:3 sets of maximum reps to failure
    Standing DB Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 15 reps (keep pinkies pointed towards the sky)

Seated DB Lateral Raise: Drop sets
    1x15 reps, drop weight and rep to 10-15 reps to failure. 3 total drop sets. (remember the pinky thingy)

Incline Bench DB Fly's: 3 sets of 15 reps
    Cable Tricep Pushdowns: 3 sets of 12 reps

FRI:
    Machine or Cable Rows: 4 sets of 12 reps (45 sec. between sets)
    Straight Arm Cable Pullovers: 8 sets of 8 reps (20 seconds rest between sets)

Reverse Pec Deck Fly's: 4 sets of 12-20 reps (45 seconds rest between sets)

This is a great routine when combined with a HIIT cardio routine done 1-2x per week and will change your physique in 8-12 weeks, or get you moving in the right direction! :)

Of course the diet will be crucial. If you are unsure of the exercises I've listed, or have questions on the routine, or want a personalized routine with the accompanying diet specific to your goals and body, please email me at hamparian7@aol.com or send me a PM.

2. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:) Because I am pear shaped I am, as a result, always searching for ways to widen my lats........I presume using DB's for the straight arm pullover would be as effective as performing the same lift utilizing the cable ......yes? ...no?

3. mastover

Hi Carole, yes you can! :)

Here's how I like doing them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfC0SwxAkho&feature=player_embedded

Notice that his head is hanging off the bench and he is bringing the DB only up to eye level. 3/4 movement. This ensures that your lats are being stressed throughout the entire range of movement. You can also do them on a decline bench set at a 25 degree decline. If you use the decline bench, you don't have to hang your head off the bench.

4. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:)Thank you for your initial response. I have a question about the 'form' being used by the gentleman in the video. Although I have always used the length of the bench (as opposed to across the bench) as demonstrated in the clip, I routinely have my feet on the bench with knees bent and head at the base of the skull off as opposed to dangling the neck and head from the high traps off the end. Looking at the video obviously the lifter, were he to have his feet on the bench and back flat likely would slip off the end particularly with the amount of weight he is using. I ask your patience, please as I realize I am coming to the question very slowly .........

The form I have described is one I employed as I instinctively felt maintaining a 'flat back' would afford a measure of protection for my back while at the same time place and keep more tension on the lats. Ah, the question now.......As a matter of course would you say for the sake of hitting the lats as hard as possible a slight arch in the back with feet on the ground would impact this muscle group more intensely than feet up on the bench with a flat back?

5. mastover

Hi Carole, with all back exercises you should maintain an arch with the lower back. This will enable you to contract the lats. Bent rows, seated rows, braced one arm DB rows, you must maintain the arch. By placing your feet up on the bench, it will be difficult to arch the back. With this position you are primarily getting a tricep and ab workout. But for safety purposes, use the form you feel comfortable with. Remember...safety first. :) If you wish to keep the feet on the bench, pop your chest out and try bringing the bell only up half way, like on the video, to keep constant stress on the lats.

6. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:)You may be certain I shall attempt to implement your direction and thank you for your time, attention and expertise. What a marvelous resource you and Mr. Stone's Forum are for those of us interested in maintaining a measure of fitness....smiling.......even into our waning years.:nod:

7. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:)Thank you, your suggestions were spot on, and I have, as a result, enjoyed the very sure sense I am hitting my lats. Now then, if we could only talk strategies for re-introducing overhead presses after rotator cuff surgery I would be a completely happy camper............teasing of course with that last as I am grateful for your having already shared your expertise on the last lift..............smiling:)

8. mastover

Glad I can help. :)
    If you've had rotator cuff surgery, I would seriously consider eliminating overhead presses entirely and do rotator cuff exercises, and lateral and rear dumb bell raises. Remember, that when you train the chest and back, the shoulders are also being heavily involved and recruited. For many people, overhead presses are not a shoulder friendly exercise option.

9. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:)That had been the suggestion of my therapist too, but he also indicated BB upright rows were a safe option.......... I confess I wondered about that lift and his advice as I have heard so many pros and cons over the years regarding the efficacy and safety of that particular lift.......... I had, prior to surgery, routinely performed the lift and in point of fact have introduced it again, but confess I still wonder about both aspects. Of all of the delt specific lifts which, in your opinion is the most effective for building mass..........and, please, :nono:do not smile when a scrawny older lady talks of 'mass'.......yes?:D

10. mastover

Hi Carole, first off... you are an inspiration to ALL men and women alike, regardless of age. I am sure everyone here will agree with me. There aren't many people who I draw inspiration from, but I receive great motivation from your life and level of fitness.

Upright rows are an exercise I do not condone. This is a movement that although one may not feel initial detriments from, over time it can be a very destructive movement.

It's an exercise people can develop bone spurs from, under the Acromian Process. You are basically scraping bone against bone and jamming the greater tubercle of the humerous into the underside of the Acromian. This is very damaging to the entire shoulder girdle. And if you are coming off rotator cuff surgery, it'll be twice as damaging.

The safest variation I know of is to do them with dumb bells with elbows wide and coming up just below the peck line.

I currently have a young lady training for her first pro natural bodybuilding show, and the only exercise I have her doing for shoulders is DB lateral raises with different twists with rest times, angles, etc.

As stated earlier, Carole... I would eliminate overhead pressing and focus on lateral raises. These will work the medial head of the deltoids and contribute to wider shoulders, and hence, reducing the pear shape illusion. Good luck and Happy New Year. :)

11. Defy

Defy Member

I am new to the forum. As a 61 year old pear-shaped female, this thread is for me too! I was especially interested in your remark about not doing overhead press exercises. I have a "sensitive" shoulder so I'm thinking maybe I should eliminate that kind of exercise. I was heartened to read your opinion that lateral raises are sufficient as a "targeted" exercise for the shoulders.

I hope this fits into the concept of this thread...I'm trying to put together a whole body HOME program that targets all the muscle groups. I've done some reading and researching (although not an exhaustive search) and have DBs in 4, 8, 10 and 15 pound values as well as a stability ball (that I use instead of a bench). My question is: what is the best home exercise for triceps?

I am grateful for your time.