1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a "health nut"???

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by furches, Nov 16, 2004.

1. furches

furches Well-Known Member

I was just wondering why no one questions it when friends/coworkers etc. eat junk....., yet whenever one of us orders something 'healthy' in a restaurant, they ask the inevitable question, "Are you on a diet?", "What are you a health nut?", etc. Why is it considered normal to eat crap???!? And yet if you eat healthy then you are some kind of freak?!?

Just my soapbox for today, :eek:

2. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

I've actually been accused of being obsessed just for bothering to keep track of what I put into my body. Yeesh.

3. HIIT MAN

HIIT MAN Well-Known Member

I know its really annoying, but look at our progress, I rest my case!!!!

4. Freddi

Freddi Well-Known Member

I know a few people who are quite concerned for me... Healthy living can be looked upon as an eating disorder by some. What most people don't understand is that it's not unhealthy to want to be below 10% bf, and that I actually eat more food than most people my age... So, yes, I have been told that I'm a health freak more than once...

5. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

I've also been told that I'm obsessed. My response was well I can't think of a better thing to be obsessed about.

If being obsessed about my health and fitness is wrong then I don't want to be right!

6. Knubb

Knubb Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who's constantly getting "Wow, you're doing so good", "I wish I could be as dedicated as you" and similar comments?

The only negatives I ever get is that people sometimes find it quite funny that I eat differently, but they never call me obsessed or anything like that.

7. lostmind

lostmind Well-Known Member

knubb - I dont know if you are the only one, but here in north america.... its NOT normal to be in shape.

When I go to sushi with friends, they all think I am crazy for only eating 6-8 peices. Or when we go to italian and I order a salad with the dressing on the side with my meal, I get the health nut comment.

A lot of people are genuinely concerned for your health when you "go on a diet" aka - eat healthy. Yet half these people will jump on atkins for a month and eat a pound of bacon every morning. crazy

8. Knubb

Knubb Well-Known Member

It's not really normal here either, but at least my friends encourage me.

9. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I've been accused of being a "health nut" a great deal. I can find few things I'd rather be "nuttier" about. While the rest of them wollow in their hypocondriachal misery, I live a great life now.

It seems all I'm missing (from my vantage point, looking at my accusers' lives) is the ability to bitch about my healthcare and to eat anything and everything in sight. I like not paying co-pays for a bunch of prescriptions. I have only seen the doctor for my recent shoulder problem and my annual checkup since becoming healthy last year. Jeez... trendy clothes, more energy, getting flirted with, better, more frequent sex at home... somebody remind me what I am missing by being unhealthy?

Heh. From where I sit, I'm not missing a thing.

10. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

I'm at a normal weight for my height and normal body fat %. I am constantly told I'm too obsessed and have an eating disorder, even eating 2K+ calories a day. I do allow myself a free meal/moderate cheat day each week so I can have a little 'junk' but I get 'the look' if I turn down a fast food meal any other time. Heck, I didn't even like fast food when I was fat! :)

Truth be told, I'd rather be eating oatmeal :) :)..

11. Bustmybutt

Bustmybutt Well-Known Member

Heck, I love being called a health nut or getting the accusation of being on a diet or being obsessive. This means I am on the right track with my eating. I also look at the source behind the comment :rolleyes:

I'd sooner be called a health nut then be called a lazy fat couch potatoe.

12. Noahf

Noahf Well-Known Member

I pay attention to what I eat, so between my friends/family, I...

1. Have an eating disorder. (What with around 2500 calories a day)
    2. Am too healthy. (What the hell?)
    3. I'm obsessed. (Tracking food = obsession. Right?)

Oh well. I'm the one with the six-pack abs and 8% bf. I just remind myself of that whenever I get negative comments.

13. justingodin

justingodin Well-Known Member

I'll once again have to play the jerk.

The reason people are saying to you "Wow you're such a health nut" or "You're obsessed" is because it is their internal defense mechanism kicking in. Whether it's subconscious or they are completely aware of it, they are threatened by you, how you live/eat and what you do. It's so much easier for their ego to look at a person who is in shape and say "Well he's obsessed, I don't want to be like him."

Society, at least in North America, sells the image that thin is in. We are conditioned to look a certain way. Your friends and family have no desire (or maybe they do, but are afraid to ask for help) to get in shape, or start taking care of themself. So instead of swallowing their pride and telling you people what you deserve to hear which is, "Wow, it's amazing that you have decided to improve yourself." They usually say, "Well you're weird, you're different, I don't want to waste my whole life working out like you."

As for the people who say "Wow, you are so dedicated, you're amazing." It's my opinion that those people understand what it takes to accomplish something hard like this, they know you personally and the sacrifices you are making, or maybe they are trying to subtely ask for help in getting motivated to transform themself like you did.

I'd make the comparassion of us being more like mechanics. Our body is a complicated machine, like a car. It takes a lot of tinkering to figure out what we need to make us work at our peak. We need to find just the right fuel to "run" properly, and we must be constantly on our toes listening to our body for any signs of wear and tear.

Would you call someone who works on cars crazy or different? Eating right takes practice, it takes dedication to study and learn. It's not unlike any other skill or hobby, and most of all it will keep us healthy longer, which is a fact the people who call us "health nuts" will have to worry about later in their lives while we enjoy the fruits of being "obsessed".

P.S.
    I actually am obsessed about my body, what I put in it, and how it looks (I'm going into the fitness profession after grad school).

So I don't know if that taints everything I just said...

14. French Spirit

French Spirit Well-Known Member

Sweden and America are very different places, it seems.

15. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

My mother was the one that worried about me being obsessed. She's also the one that repeats, roughly every 5 nanoseconds, how much thinner I'm looking. Even if nothing has changed between the times she mentions it. It's annoying. I keep having to say, "Tell me when it actually looks that way, and then tell me once. Aside from that, stop patronizing me. I don't need constant validation."

So has anyone else had problems with excessive praise?

16. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

My friend does that. I really don't care about the praise. I don't need it to keep me going. I'm selfish... I'm doing this for myself.

17. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

I get lots of comments about my obsession with health. If I look at myself objectively, I'll even admit that I'm obsessed. So what? Fitness has become my hobby and I know lots of people who are obsessed with their hobby. I've been getting a lot of comments lately about me being anorexic. Some are jokes, some aren't. I counter those comments by telling the person that I'm 6 ft tall and ask them to guess my weight. The common response is that I weigh about 160 lbs. They're always stunned to learn that I weigh about 195 lbs and that according to my BMI, I'm overweight. The difference is that my body fat is at 12% instead of the usual 25 to 30% that people are used to seeing. I use these opportunities to briefly explain what weight training can do for you.

18. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

I actually disagree with this. Although the womens mags and such still have thin models, overall I think there is an acceptance that being fat is 'normal'.

I'm definitely obsessed though - I have an obsessive personality. The last 5 months of diet changes seems like a biological experiment - and it's really quite interesting.

19. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I'd go a little further to say that fit/thin is ideal most people would aspire to if they had the motivation and education to achieve it. Fat is only considered the norm due to ignorance and is accepted simply because it's becoming the default condition.

This is exactly how I view my entire transformation. One big experiment. I've proven my postulate that a person can live a perfectly healthy life without a single prescription. I've proven that you can minimize, if not completely eliminate medical conditions that I was told I'd have for the rest of my life. Tracking my diet meticulously has given me data to analyze to evaluate and alter future portions of this experiment. It's a constant learning process that I'm only benefitting from. And it's fun!

20. JMR

JMR Well-Known Member

Sorry for the hijack but I see you added the little disclaimer to your avatar. Who is that and why do you use it?