1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Are my calculations correct?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Cam_B, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Cam_B

Cam_B Active Member

I'm in the process in creating a diet as I have commited to Bluethunder's
    "Reach Your Weightloss Goal by December 1st" challenge and have looked thru this
    and other forums for information and help in devising a diet.
    I was just wondering if I have got my calculations right before I then sit down and work out
    a meal plan which I will then be seeking advice on.
    Any help would be much apprciated.
    Thanks in advance

Estimating my Daily Calorie Requirement
    My Stats
    Height = 187.96 cms
    Weight = 100kg
    Age = 34

Formula used is the Harris Benedict MR Formula for Men
    BMR = 66 + (13.7 x 77kg) + (5 x 178) – (6.8 x 34) = 1779.80
    BMR = 1780

Amount of Energy burned through activity
    Moderately Active = BMR x 1.55
    1780 x 1.55 = 2759

Number of calories needed per day to MAINTAIN current weight
    2759 calories
    Example is for a 1lb loss per week
    1lb of fat is 3500 calories.
    To lose 1lb per week:
    3500 divided by 7 = 500 calories.
    Minus 500 from maintenance calories = 2259 calories
    So to burn 1lb of fat per week I must consume no more of less than 2259 calories per day

Macronutrient Percentages
    Protein

It’s recommended that you consume 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight.
    220grams of Protein (4 calories per gram)
    220 x 4 = 880 grams
    880 divided by 2259 = 0.30 x 100 = 30.1 %
    Fat
    Recommended amount of fat intake is 20%.
    0.20 x 2259 = 451.80
    9 calories per 1 gram of fat so:
    451.80 divided by 9 = 50 grams
    Carbohydrates
    I need now 50% of my daily count to come from Carbs.
    0.52 x 22.59 = 1175
    4 calories per gram of Carbs = 1175 divided by 4 = 293.75 grams per day

Carbs 50%, Protein 30%, Fats 20%

:confused:

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I'd reverse the protein/carb percentages.

50% protein - 30-35% carbs, 15-20% fats. I find that if I keep the calories in check, those percentages allow me to lose body fat nearly independent of the foods I use to achieve the ratio, as long as they're eaten in six meals spaced 2.5-3.5 hours apart.

Don't feel like you have to be so tied to the calculations and equations we pimp here. They're great guidelines to get you started, but they are not rules to live and die with. More important than your calculations is the ability to record your diet, physical parameters, and exercise efforts. Later, you can compare the nutrition & exercise you've been performing to the results you've been achieving, and tweak accordingly. Empirical data about your own body is much more important than worrying about what the equations say.

-R

3. Cam_B

Cam_B Active Member

Thanks Bluestreak, I thought to myself that the Carbs and Protein possibly should be reversed, thanks for confirmation.

"Don't feel like you have to be so tied to the calculations and equations we pimp here. They're great guidelines to get you started, but they are not rules to live and die with. More important than your calculations is the ability to record your diet, physical parameters, and exercise efforts. Later, you can compare the nutrition & exercise you've been performing to the results you've been achieving, and tweak accordingly. Empirical data about your own body is much more important than worrying about what the equations say."

Thats great advice thanks alot. I must admit so far I've found it hard to eat the amount of calories that is needed/advised but I suppose that will all come together in time.
    It's quite hard for me to space my meals out evenly as I rise at 5.45am, on a train for 6.30am and dont get into the office till gone 8am, I can time my food intake during the day, but then I have the return journey home then a gym visit before I get indoors to eat again. Weekends are obviously easier to plan.
    It's all trial and error for me at the moment. I've brought some whey protein today so hopefully I can get an early meal in, in the morning inbetween rising and getting on the train.
    Thanks again :tu: