1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

~ Archie ~

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by archie, Jul 30, 2007.

1. archie

archie Active Member

After about a year away I am back.

I am a 20 year old Australian mother ( as of 5 weeks and 2 days), which I am over the moon about. My son is adorable, and I love him to pieces.

And I am back because although I didnt participate within the forum alot, I know how knowledgable and supportive it can be.

I had been a member of the boards for about a year before I left but nothing really ever kicked in as suck for me as I had alot going on in my personal life that took precedence such as my mental health.

These days things are going better for me in that regard, and whilst continuing to work on it, I want to start making other parts of my life a priority as well. Even though I have only been a mum for 5 weeks it certianly is a life changing thing. And having another person depend on you so much makes you really start to think about your health amongst other things.

I am only young and reasonably healthy, although not fit. But I figure if I start now at developing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle then both mine and my families life will be much better off.

During my pregnancy I did not stay very active which was a shame. I continued to work and went for a few walks a week for most of the time, but thats about it. So my fitness now is poor to say the least and I am going to have to take things slow. This is fine by me though because by achieving small goals every week it will be easier to keep at things and finally reach my ultimate goal of a healthy lifestyle.

After experiencing childbirth I know that my body will never be exactly as it use to be (which wasn't that great in my opinion). But I do the best with what I got, and try and not focus on where I think I fall short.

Due to this as much as I want to look and feel good about myself, I don't want that to be the focus of my goals each week. My goals are going to be more activity based so I feel productive and hopefully have a better chance at maintaining a positive outlook.

I see my obstertrician next friday to get the go ahead on my health and such. So for the next few weeks my goals will be quite basic.

I will put my exact stats up later in the week and maybe a start photo too to serve as extra motivation. For now though this photo serves as motivation enough.

~ Arch

Attached Files:

#1 archie, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. archie

archie Active Member

WEEK 1 BEGINNING 31.07.07

GOALS:
    1. Drink 2.25L water every day
    2. Take multivitamin every day
    3. Walk for a minimum 30min x 4 times with Will.

RESULTS:

1. Didn't quite drink enough everyday. Will keep making an effort though.
    2. Piece of cake.
    3. Managed 4 walks. Will try and keep a better record of at least what length of time I walk for if nothing else.

#2 archie, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  3. archie

archie Active Member

TUESDAY
    Sleep 4 hrs
    Water 2L
    Tablet check.

WEDNESDAY
    Sleep 6hrs
    Water 2.25L
    Tablet Check
    Walk - Took the long route to the shops 30 mins and 15 minutes on the way back.

I think I need to grow my hair. A lady thought she walked into the mens toilets because she seen me coming out.:eek: Maybe if she had glasses she would have noticed my rack. :p Ah well.

Went for Wills weekly hospital check today. He has gained almost a kilo since birth, weights will become a necessity soon so i can be stronger just to hold him.

Bedtime, heres hoping for another 6hrs.

4. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Archie. Cute phot of Will :) Good luck with your fitness goals:tu:

5. archie

archie Active Member

THURSDAY
    Sleep 5hrs
    Water 2L
    Tablet Check

FRIDAY
    Sleep 5hrs
    Water 2.25L
    Tablet Check
    Walk - Went for a walk as a family to the grocery store further away then usual. Its was really nice. :) We both get to get out of the house at the same time, plus B walks faster then me, so I don't slacken off if I have someone to keep pace with.

SATURDAY
    Sleep 6 hrs
    Water 1.5L and counting..
    Tablet Check
    Walk - Went for a nice long walk to return some DVDs. Beastie Boys are great to walk to! :nod: I tried jogging for a bit, since I hadnt tried it with my 'jogger' yet. It appears doable if i was fit enough to jog :( But its ok its early days yet, every walk adds up. I need to look into a better bra or maybe wearing two.

Have managed to get a little reading in in between everything else.
    I hopefully have enough knowledge behind me for when I see the Doc on Tuesday so I can find out what I want without coming across as a complete fool. Only time will tell...

The water thing I am finding difficult, and its not even a heck of alot. As long as I am making a concious effort I guess thats a start.

Which brings me to another goal to add next week - making a concious effort to nap every day. Anything less then 6hrs sleep a day really doesnt cut it. 6hrs itself barely does. This will be extremely hard for me though. B is constantly checking to see whether I have napped when he comes home from work. But I just cant nap when theres so much stuff that I think NEEDS doing in a particular day. But when I don't nap I don't have the energy to get things done in the day anyway, or to wake up and care for Will in the middle of the night.

GRRR its so frustrating when you are smart enough to know what you should be doing, but not smart enough to actually do it. :bang:

6. archie

archie Active Member

Thanks for the welcome, and the encouragement :)

7. marlow.plumb

marlow.plumb Active Member

Hey Archie, as a new grandpa myself and the father of seven... well I was thrilled to see the cute picture of your son. It sounds like he is a lucky boy to have a loving mother like you. My best wishes in your effort to improve your fitness and nutrition. It is like anything, the more you think about it and work at it the more successful you are at it. You remind me of my daughter in law who just delivered in March. You were so right that you and your family's life will be better off if you maintain your health. Best wishes, Marlow

Attached Files:

8. archie

archie Active Member

SUNDAY
    Sleep 6hrs
    Water 1L :o
    Tablet Check
    Walk - Went for a slower walk today. Will was in the sling instead of the jogger.

MONDAY
    Sleep 6hrs
    Water 2L
    Tablet Check

Did my tax return today. Hopefully will be getting roughly a couple of grand back which will be awesome. Already have a rough plan on how I am spending it.. fairly responsibly unfortunately. Gotta get my eyes checked out and probably get a new pair of glasses, go to the dentist :cry: And I'm going to do some basic business study externally, so I can look for a better job when I go back to work. Can't wait to start that :spaz::spaz::spaz: Been wanting to do it for quite a while but have had other financial priorities. And if I have alot left over I'm going to save it so I can afford to do something nice for my 21st in a couple of months.

9. archie

archie Active Member

Thanks for the kind wishes :)
    Congrats on your adorable grandchild, and goddamn 7 children!! That must have kept you busy.

10. archie

archie Active Member

WEEK 2 BEGINNING 07.08.07

GOALS:
    1. Drink 2.25L water every day
    2. Take multivitamin every day
    3. Walk for a minimum 30min x 4 times with Will.
    4. Have a nap everyday. (Aim for over 6 hrs rest in a day.)

RESULTS:

11. archie

archie Active Member

TUESDAY
    Sleep 4 hrs, No Nap. Will was sick. He barely slept more than 30mins at all himself, poor little fella. :(
    Water 1.5L
    Tablet check.

Seen my doctor today. Everything is good and I got the okay on exercise. Just need to take it slow to start with, which was always the plan. Also will have to take extra iron and vitamin E on top of my multivitamin everyday.

WEDNESDAY
    Sleep 6hrs, including 30 min nap.
    Water - not at all good for the day.
    Tablet Check
    Walk - Going for a walk with my son very shortly.
    And if he is still asleep when we get home hopefully another nap fingers crossed. :sleep::sleep:

12. archie

archie Active Member

:whistle: Back...again... :rolleyes:

My previous attempt nose dived for a while. Wills routine was still fairly all-over-the-place, so this stuff took a back seat for a while.

I've been keen to come here for the past fornight or so but our phone line was buggered for some reason so no internet, until today. :D

And its a good thing too because things were feeling hopeless ( more of that tomorrow.) Unfortunately or fortunately depending on my (frame of mind) I am starting to realize just how slow I think I need to take things. Funnily enough my fitness was poor before I had Will 14weeks ago, and having a baby in no way improved my starting point.

Anyway.. as a slight statement that I am finally committing to improving my health and fitness, I am going to post my starting pics for the first time since I joined this site 2 years ago. And I updated my motivation pics in my first post, I would love to have more muscle!! :spaz::spaz: I will write more about how things are going because right now I got to go feed my boy and put him to bed.

These were taken on 24.09.07... here goes. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Attached Files:

13. archie

archie Active Member

Ok so just over a week back I managed to tap into a spring of motivation to get my stuff together on alot of aspects of my life, health and fitness also being one of them. And as my son now has a fairly solid routine, minus the teething going on, I feel like I can give it a real crack….. apart from all the obstacles I keep finding that make me want to just chuck in the towel.

But deep down I know I need to start doing this TODAY not tomorrow. And that things aren’t always easy if they were obesity would be less prevalent in society. So my goals for now are…..
    - to take things slow, and not make too many changes at once otherwise I will just give up.. its what I do.
    - to read up and learn.. I’ve read the stickies a gazillion times in the past, I will read them again though. One more time will never hurt. Also I think I might look into maybe buying the Body For Life book, or look into getting another book for beginners.
    - and tackle one obstacle at a time.

---------------------------------
    First obstacle… feeling ashamed of attempting to get fit.
    DUMB DUMB DUMB I KNOW..
    But growing up with just my dad and two brothers crippled my self esteem. Especially when they called me fat, and then I would attempt to exercise and just be ridiculed for it. I don’t see them much anymore as we live in different towns. But I guess these old memories are still very much a fear of mine.

I haven’t mentioned anything to my partner about wanting to get fit. For fear of being ridiculed (not that I actually think he would) and also I guess if I bail out he will know I have failed. So I guess I’m trying to not be accountable in real life.

The last couple of “attempts” at working out these last couple of weeks I have done while he was at work and not mentioned them at all to him.

So I think this should definitely be step one.

---------------------------------
    I need to go feed my son. I will post more later or tomorrow.
    Oh and before I go my stats as of 24.9.07..
    Weight: 60kg (132.3lbs)
    Height: 1.62m (5'3")
    Waist: 35”
    Thighs: 21.5”

#13 archie, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  14. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Hello Archie!! Welcome back!!"
    :claphigh::claphigh::claphigh:

I completely understand that. I've been very quiet about attempts at getting fit in the past even with extremely supportive boyfriends... or would mention it in a very downplayed way. "Yeah, I'm going to try to start eating better and being more active" is a bit different than "I have an eating plan for the next month, I know my macro percentages, I've taken starting pictures, I deadlift and squat, and I've been spending absurd amounts of time on bodybuilding websites for weeks." :lol:

And I think you're spot on about the source of the discomfort... past issues with nonsupportive people in your life, the fear of not following through and then looking stupid, etc. BUT it worked out very well for me. My boy knows to support me when I need encouragement and isn't judgemental when I fall off the wagon for a while. He knows I'm human, after all. Bet your husband will too.

I think that I was also was worried that it would make me sound vain and shallow, especially when balancing other high-priority areas of life. But it aint, girlie. Imagine how nice it will be for your son to know that his mother is a woman that respects herself and takes care of herself - and for him to understand that good food and exercise are great things to include in your life!

P.S.
    Your baby is beautiful!!

P.S.S.
    Don't give up on that post-baby body... if you look around here and other sites (bodybuilding.com, etc) you'll see plenty of mothers that are smokin hot, muscled, and with way flatter stomachs than most of us can ever dream of. It might be a ways off, but it's not impossible!

GOOD LUCK!! :tucool:
    :claphigh::claphigh::claphigh:

15. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

I agree.... do a search on this forum for a user named rockenmama... she has 5 kids and the last two were twins and she has an AMAZING body... six pack and all :nod:

I also agree that your first step is telling your significant other what your plans are... he can help you keep on track if you let him... I'd also let him know that your family ridiculed you, about your weight and getting in shape, when you were growing up, that way he'll know to be a bit less of a pain (if he's like most men) and should be suppportive of your efforts... havning a supportive partner is VERY helpful.. actually... I tried doing it all by myself before and always ended up falling flat at some point.. right now I'm working WITH my husband to get back into shape and I'm having success :nod::tucool: I'm in a similar situation... my mom was always tellling me that I was getting fat... but she never had a solution for the problem... just bad vibes to shoot off in my direction... having support from someone important in your life is a BIG help ;) :gl: and hit those weights HARD (let me know if you need any help ;) )

16. archie

archie Active Member

Thanks for the encouragement V!!
    I don't have a husband though, just a bf :p

I would be lying if I said I don't want to look better, but my main priority is to get fit. I don't think I have ever really "run" since I was hmm probably 10, (and then it was only 100metres 5 times a year). I use to do Nippers (surf lifesaving) when I was younger as well, but only had to swim around one bouy instead of the two everyone else did. And even then I barely finished. But I want to be fit and healthy so that yeah like you said, I set a good example for my son. And also so I can keep up with him as he grows. Hes not even 8kg yet and I struggle to nurse him.

My bf asked me what I was doing last night and I told him I was reading stuff on a fitness forum that I joined. He sort of gave me this look like "Why on earth would you do that?" I didn't say anything.

Then today I was printing out a photo of our son and the other photo in my original post to stick on the fridge, and he asked why I was printing out the later. I told him because it was motivation for me to get fit. He said "why on earth would I want to look like that, she looks disgusting, like a female equivalent of Arnie." I told him I don't want to look like that, but its a picture that motivates me to get fit and I just left it at that. Old feelings of being verbally attacked came back :o

I'm sure he didnt mean harm by it. I just don't think he understands how important this is to me. I don't think I can really explain it to him just yet. So I am just going to have to work hard and get results and show him. He said I wasn't fat :rolleyes: which was nice of him. But I am sure he wouldn't complain if I lost some weight. I am of the same mind frame. I don't think of myself as 'fat' (which is slightly positive I guess) but rather I know I do have some fat to lose.

So I am sort of half over my first obstacle. At least its not a secret that I am trying to get fit, even if my partner doesn't fully understand yet.

17. archie

archie Active Member

Working on the support thing... I'm sure if I ask for it I will get it. But I'm scared. I will get over it eventually. As for the lifting hard that seems to have a few dilemmas with it. I will post about that a bit later. I need to read up a bit more before I ask for help. Don't just want to expect it if you know what I mean.

18. archie

archie Active Member

Diet

DAMN I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED MY POST SO HAVE TO START AGAIN :(

DIET
    I worked out my maintenance calories to be 1957, plus the 500cals I need for my milk supply = 2457cals.

My theory :-)rolleyes: which is probably way off) is to start out eating my maintenance cals. Hopefully By doing this I will gain a little bit of muscle for a few weeks? As much as my photos show I need to cut, I need to gain muscle because at the moment I can barely lift 2.5kg dumbells. :o:o:o And I figure if I eat 2000cals a day to lose 1lb a week, I wont be eating enough to gain any strength.
    Am i completely off the mark with all of that???
    If I did do this it would only be for maybe a month or two, and then I would gradually lower them a bit to 2000cals.
    And eventually I am going to aim for macros of 50c 30p 20f.

For the moment though I am trying to clean up my diet slowly as much as I can.

Fluids
    Alcohol - 6 drinks in the past year due to pregnancy and breastfeeding. So this is pretty much under control
    Coffee/Tea/Hot chocolate - one every second day if that.
    Softdrink - one can a week if that.
    Juice - one glass every morning. This will most likely continue.
    Water - 0.75 - 1.5L :o:o:o:o The area I need to work on.
    Oh and low fat milk, but I don't drink it by the glass or anything, just with cereal or coffee.

Breakfast (anywhere between 7-9am)
    Due to my son, and feeding and expressing and stuff I need to choose something thats no fuss. So no real cooking.
    So my options that I like and I think are maybe okay (!?):blank:
    - glass of juice
    - small bowl of raisen bran with maybe 1/2cup extra raisens and low fat milk
    OR - some oats with yoghurt. ( I have in the past added protien powder to this and it tasted okay. I am not yet accustomed to the powder in a drink, it could be the brand.)

That would generally be it... maybe a piece of fruit aswell if I need more calories? Or I was also thinking maybe if I already have some eggs boiled up 1egg. With or without the yolk?

Meal 2
    I've been recording what I have eaten for about the last 10days.
    I think the best thing for me to have in this meal is a sandwich. I ussually have 2, so 4 pieces wholemeal with grain bread. I ussually have deli meat (ham, roast beef or pastrami), lettuce and tomato, sometimes cottage cheese, sometimes wholegrain mustard. Oh and sometimes a little bit of light cheese.

To amp up the protien I could have tuna or chicken sandwiches... both have downfalls though. I like tuna, but I like it with mayo or like a tomato salsa thing, neither of those are very good I wouldn't think. And as for the chicken... I'm a terrible cook.. even with simple things like this. I guess its just practise though.

Depending on the time I wake up for breakfast there might be a snack in between these 2 meals... the snack..piece of fruit and 1/4cup of unsalted peanuts (cant afford almonds unfortunately) or a single serve tin of bake beans or spaghetti instead of the fruit.

Meal 3
    Frozen veggies (carrot,beans, cauliflower, broccoli) steamed. Ussually about 350g.

Or sometimes I have oats and yoghurt..

Meal 4(5-7pm)
    This generally where I go wrong. This meal is essentially dinner. And I cook for me and my bf. Sometimes it isnt too bad.
    -steak and salad
    -sausages, veggies, mashed potato (I could just boil it though)
    - spag bol
    - curried sausages and rice
    -shepards pie (made at home, mince and potato, onion vegies, no pastry)

Our most common dinner is Pasta with different bottled sauces.. creamy ones and tomato ones. The sauces are whats going to kill the meal I guess. ANd all for not having the sauce on mine, but then theres so much waste (because there is ussually sauce for 4 people, sometimes 2) which I am not a fan of. So instead of waste it I would eat it. Because my bf wont it the remainder of the left overs the next day (not always anyway). And it doesnt freeze and reheat all that well I have found.

Your probably not suppose to have alot of carbs in the last meal, but if I dont I am more likely to over snack later in the night.

MEAL 5
    ???? Meal 4 on average is before 6pm, And I generally don't go to bed until 10.30-11pm. So I am not sure If I should be having another little meal here, and if I am what would be the best thing to eat? I'm guessing not carbs?

So this is where I am at in regards to getting the diet right, not fully right but I think I am getting there.. Least I think/hope so :o:p

Time to feed my son and snooze, only had 5hrs last night so I am still pooped!!:sleep::sleep:

#18 archie, Oct 3, 2007
  19. FBChick

FBChick Active Member

No.. you're not completely off the mark at all, especially since you are breastfeeding right now. Cutting calories too low at this point really hurts your milk production. I would take a very slow and conservative approach when you do decide to lower the cals, and you may think about waiting longer then two months to do it.

Aside from that, just cleaning up the diet and working out will go a long way to changing your body's shape!

20. virtualadrian

virtualadrian Active Member

Aye, I agree with FBChick there, I would be very carefull as to how many calories I cut out of my diet. I would say see a doctor but if they are like most around here they won't have a clue. Everyone calls it Health Care... it's sick care. At any rate, look around for a sports doctor or something of the sort and tell him what you are doing / are trying to accomplish. Have him recommend an intake, or maybe someone around here can pipe up with suggestions...

The other thing you could do is cut after you are done breastfeeding... Concentrate on the little guy for a few months, make sure he is big and strong :flex:, and then cut.

EDIT:: To tone and so on, just do light cardio for now. I really haven't the foggiest about women's fitness or abilities so I can't suggest much... I can only say be carefull so you don't undereat, and eat clean so the lil' guy has plenty of nutrients!

#20 virtualadrian, Oct 3, 2007