1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Appreciations and Salutations

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Ecrivain, May 7, 2006.

1. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

The Short:
    Six months ago today, I started the journey to better health. I was around 367lb at the time. Today I weighed in at 274lb. It seems right that I should thank all of you who have shared your own stories, experiences, information, and motivation. You've been a great help. There's much work left to do, but I know that with the support of this community, I can achieve my goals. Thanks!

The Long:
    I've always been a bit of a contrarian. So last winter, when a friend mentioned that most people gain about 7lbs during the holidays, I thought I'd try to reverse that trend for myself. I was huge. I mean, simply massive. I think I was around 367, but that's really just a guess, since getting an accurate scale measurement was rather difficult at that weight. And I work for a scale company! I could've used one of our truck scales, but that would've just been too embarrassing. I made my first FitDay food journal entry on 11/7/05, so I mark that as my starting point. Over the holidays, despite Thanksgiving feasts and various parties and cookies all around the office, I did manage to lose weight. Knowing that I'd made it past the hardest part of the year, I decided to keep going. I gave up fast food on 1/1/06 and haven't touched it since.

I started reading about nutrition and exercise. Luckily, there is a wealth of information online. The Hacker's Diet helped me realized the beautiful, scientific simplicity of weight loss: burn more calories than you consume. The World's Healthiest Foods and SuperFoods pointed me towards the best sources of those calories. ExRx, CrossFit, and the BB.com Exercise Guide showed me how to burn those calories. Fat for Now, From Chunk to Hunk, and Men's Health articles kept me motivated.

But this community, John Stone Fitness, made it real.

For that, I am incredibly grateful. Being able to read about your own struggles, goals, and achievements has empowered me. I no longer think of my transformation as a challenge. It's a lifestyle. It is so helpful to have this rich source of information so easily accessible. So thank you, from the bottom of my (now much healthier) heart. Thank you for your honesty and your passion. Thank you for sharing everything: the good (strength, courage, success), the bad (DOMS, injuries), and the ugly (stretch marks, moobs, protein fumes).

The Changes:
    Instead of gorging on chicken wings and pizza, I find myself craving tuna, spinach, and cottage cheese.
    Instead of downing a six-pack of beer every night, I limit myself to a few drinks one or two nights a month.
    Instead of panting as I walk off the elevator, I hustle up five flights of stairs every morning.
    Instead of dreading going to work, I've gotten a promotion and have inspired some coworkers to seek healthier lifestyles.
    Instead of being late because I'm hungover, I'm late because I decide to do an extra 30 minutes of cardio.
    Instead of wasting my life on the couch, I'm gardening, learning a new language, spending more time with my friends, and teaching English at an adult literacy center.

My life is really, really good right now. And it's only going to get better. So thank you, sincerely, again and again.

The Facts:
    I do fasted LISS for 30-50 minutes, 5-7 mornings a week on a stationary bike.

I do a full-body workout on Sun, Tue, and Thu evenings. Workouts always include squats, stiff-leg deadlifts, bent-over rows, bench presses, curls, and sit-ups. I throw deadlifts, rear pulldowns, side lateral raises, military presses, and tricep pushdowns into the mix on various days. I do 3 sets of 8-12 reps per exercise.

I eat 1600-2000 calories a day, depending on my activity level. I aim for (and generally hit) a ratio of 20/40/40 fat/carb/protein. Meals look something like this:

1: oats, wheat bran, textured vegetable protein
    2: lean meat (fish, chicken), whole grain (brown rice, quinoa, barley), vegetable (broccoli, spinach)
    3: dairy protein (ff cottage cheese, ff yogurt, egg whites) and vegetable (carrots, tomatoes, celery) or fruit
    4: whey protein shake
    5: lean meat, whole grain, vegetable
    6: ff cottage cheese, ground flax seed

I drink 2-4 liters of fluids, consisting almost entirely of water, green tea, and yerba mate.

I supplement with a daily multi-vitamin, vitamin E, and about a tablespoon of psyllium husks.

The End:
    I think that covers it all. Thanks for reading, if you've managed to make it through all of this. And if you skimmed, I don't blame you. ;)

Have a great week!

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Great success story - Nice reading about it. :)

3. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Great to see you here and your success is inspiring!

Keep on keepin' on!

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

All Right! Keep it up and don't step back. Share your knowledge and carry it forward.:claphigh: :claphigh:

5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Great post, and great progress. Thank you for sharing it. Congrats on well deserved success! :tucool:

6. Rhez

Rhez Well-Known Member

Fantastic work, excellent read, keep up the good work.

7. johnyboy

johnyboy Well-Known Member

Cheers for the motivational pick-me-up. Great to hear how far you've come.

8. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

Congrats! It sounds like you're making great lifestyle changes. Welcome aboard!

9. San'dy

San'dy Well-Known Member

Congrats! Did you take a before photo? Have you taken one yet? If not do that, someday you will wish you had. If you did, and posted it, I missed it then nevermind.:)