1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Apothecary's Tough Mudder Prep

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Apothecary, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Tough Mudder-complete.

I went dark here for a while as I hunkered down and prepared for this Tough Mudder event.

Well this last Saturday I made it happen. I pulled 18 other people along with me and we completed it as a team: all 11 miles and 20 obstacles.

I had planned to walk most of it and did so. I still have issues with my knees and running. I ran the first 2 miles or so but then exclusively walked the rest - albeit at a fast walking pace. Many times I "walked" past joggers. :)

The things I am most proud of:

1. I did not walk around a single obstacle. I failed some (by falling off into the water or whatever) but I tried them all and pushed as hard as I could to get as far as I could.

2. I completed obstacles I was certain I was unable to complete.

3. At age 49 (oldest in our group by about 9 years) I was the one that volunteered to carry the 6'4", 250lb team member on my back for about 100 yards. They were all too chicken. Those dead lifts payed dividends there. This was at mile 8 so you can imagine the mental challenge that was.

4. Our team of 19 people had a 100% completion rate on an event that averages a 30% quit rate. That is damn impressive.

So there it is.

I want to say a special thanks to John Stone. You built the tool that started me on this road to a better life.

I also want to give a very special thanks to Aram Hamparian for the inspiration, motivation and setting that bar constantly to become more than you believe you can be.

And finally thanks to all you JSF'rs. Success or failure, just knowing we are all working to get better is a huge part of what made this happen for me.

Next in line for me is a purely aesthetic goal. There will be a thread to that effect coming soon.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congratulations on your accomplishment. :tucool:

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Good job man. I checked in when you started this goal. Glad to see you made it.z

4. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks guys.