1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Apothecary's Tough Mudder Prep

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Apothecary, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Push

Decided to replace Leg Presses with Lunges today. It is amazing how much better I can do these than even 6 months ago.

BB Lunge 55: 10, 10, 10(fail)
    BB Bench Press 105: 10, 10, 10(+2)
    BB Squat 115(+10): 7(+1), 7(+1), 6
    Machine Fly 140: 10, 8(+1), 6
    Lateral BB Step-up 40(+20): 8, 7(-1), 6(-2)
    Arnold Press DB 20: 10, 10, 10(+2)
    Smith Calf Raise 110: 15, 15, 13(+1)
    Dips 10(+10): 10, 10, 8(-2)

Diet was great. I even resisted the DQ Blizzard for myself when getting them for my family. I was convinced I was going to get one as I pulled in the parking lot, but then thought "Hey, if I can have the willpower to not get one now, that would be amazing. Right?!"

:tucool:

2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Willpower is an awesome thing. Take something you want and turn it into something you want more.

3. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My updates are behind but I am still going strong. Lots of travel and having to work around that to get into the gym. I will post some logs here next time I can hit the computer.

Working out at the gym in Costa Rica is quite a bit different than Atlanta. The gym is about 80 degrees so the effort is much bigger. I still got some increases yesterday but I was convinced I was going to croak getting them. Monday back in AC will be interesting. I plan to kill it.

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Mike ... You are one of the most inspiring people I have ever come across... Many clients tell me they cannot stay on plan because they have this or that going on. Whatever their excuse.... It is not acceptable.... You are the person who they should allude to. I just cannot accept their excuses with people like you around. Your dedication and 'never quit' attitude makes me a better bodybuilder and keeps me pointed to achieving my goals...

Thanks Mike. :)

5. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Aram,

Thanks for the nice words. However we know who the real heroes are. It is people like you and John Stone that keep us getting out of bed each day!

6. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sick Today

Well I returned from Costa Rica feeling great to suddenly develop flu-like symptoms throughout the day yesterday. I hoped to feel good this morning but no-dice. Since I have fever symptoms in my lower body, along with fatigue, I will have to pass today and relax.

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Hope you feel better soon. Always sucks getting sick but at least you are home.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope you're feeling better.

9. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I know what you are really doing now... kicking ass on the Xbox. Only joking. Get well soon.

10. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This has been a very rough few weeks. First, I had Strep. Then I went to Kiev and that trip was just a nightmare. I was still run-down from being sick before I left, so I didn't workout a single day I was there. Then I finally return and get Strep full-on again. My first day back I had a fever and didn't know it. I thought maybe I was just feeling jet-lagged. I went to the gym and my workout was miserable. I pushed it hard though and even got several increases, but I felt horrible. It wasn't until I got home and the day went on that I realized I had a bad fever.

Today I just completed my last dose of antibiotics. I decided I am going to wait until next week before I start lifting again. It means some loss of muscle, but getting sick again would be worse.

While sick I have not been fretting my diet but have not been over-eating by any means. Most of the time I have to make myself eat.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope your recovery is swift and complete.

12. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Hope you get better soon

13. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks guys.

14. BlueThunder

BlueThunder Well-Known Member

Hey!

Hope your Tough Mudder training continues to go well. I'm doing it too this month....and I'm also sick. Been sick since Sunday. Hoping we both get better soon....I wanna get back to training. :)

15. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I would be mortified if I was sick close to the event. Thank goodness, I am all good now. I hope you are too!

16. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Last week was much better. I did two workouts, one push and one pull. I wasn't as strong as my previous workout, but most of that was fatigue rather than actual loss of strength.

I switch things up starting today for the next six weeks. I am going with heavy weight low rep and doing a 5-day split. Today was legs, Tuesday chest, Wednesday arms, Thursday back and Friday shoulders. The goal is to keep these workouts 30 mins or less. Today took right at 30 minutes. Target reps are 4-6.

Smith Squat 115 6, 6, 5
    RDL 215 5, 3, 2
    Extension 210 6, 6, 6
    Seated Leg Curl 140 6, 5, 4
    Calf Raise DC style (5 sec neg, 6 second stretch) 90, 10 (increasing to a 10-second stretch next week)

I don't really like the Smith machine because estimating the actual weight is hard. I never know how to count the bar. It doesn't weigh more than 15lbs, but it has resistance built-in so I don't know if you still count it as 45lbs if you do a burst movement on the push. I had two 45lb discs on it, so it felt more like 135lbs than 115.

BB squats with heavy weight still scare me. I bend over too far at the hips due to inflexibility. On the smith I can get to a 90 degree hip with an upright back, but I stand a little farther forward than I should - and not far enough to be a hack squat. As I think about it, next week I am going to stand much farther forward and make them hack squats.

My RDL's were too heavy and I knew they would be. My 10-rep sets were 165lbs and I was going to do 205lbs, but 215lbs was a nice, clean 45lb / 35lb disc combo (our bar is 55lbs). I will squeeze out increases next week though. I stopped short today mostly to make sure my back didn't bow. My first rep, in fact, was sloppy but all of the rest were with a really strong straight back and they were really, really hard. :bb:

17. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

A five day split is going to be a toughie. Are you doing any cardio? Are you working iwth Aram? I hope you don't have to capitulate on the 5 day split. It's great if you can handle it all.

As far as the smith bar goes, I hate to tell you but it's probably not more than 20 lbs. If that. I know because I had the same question a few years ago and we looked it up online. A normal oly bar is 45 lbs as you know.

I used a YouTube video to get my deadlift form. It's the best exercise I do that wears me out. I'll get you the link if you are interested.

The thing about the heavy squat with the barbell is only go down as far as you are comfortable. Even if you only bend your legs a little bit. And there are the safety bars in the squat rack if you feel you need to get out from under. I did have one time when I bent forward and lost it. I thought I blew out my knee that time. Luckily it was okay. If you need to get out, don't forget the safety bars. Don't worry how you look. Think how cool it is to lift more than you know you can do.

18. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Friends don't let friends use the Smith machine. The bar only counts for about 10 points. If squats scare you just use lighter weight until you are comfortable with your form.

19. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I decided to go back to the 3-day split. The 5-day was just too many times going to the gym. I am not mentally prepared for that at this point in my life.

20. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Don't worry, when you feel the need to go more often the gym will be there for you. Put your faith in the iron.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2