1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use the XVest?

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Chris, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure i'll get it for you guys on your birthday, just send your info along with your credit card numbers and expect the XVest to arrive in 2-3 weeks! :nod:

Hopefully mine should be coming in sometime this week, i'll let you know soon as it does!

2. Emilio

Emilio Well-Known Member

Ok chris.. here is what we'll do.. I'll send you a check for $500 and you can buy the vest and send it to me along with the difference.. By the way can you help me get 154 million dollars out of Nicaragua? ;) So when is the vest gonna arrive? I need to hear a review by someone not affiliated with the company in any way before I order one.

- Emilio

ps - where in NY are you located?

3. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Just arrived :D

I just finished putting the weights in and i'm wearing it as we speak, it's alittle uncomfortable right now, it's almost like a compression shirt, really hugs your body, which I guess is good because it keeps stable and doesn't move around when you're walking or running.

I'll post my first review of it tonight when I get back from the gym, gonna test it out on the treadmill and in the swimming pool, heck it's a nice day outside I might even throw my jacket over it and run at the track later on after lunch :nod:

Oh, I live in the city Emilio, born and raised

4. Emilio

Emilio Well-Known Member

I was wondering when you'd get it. So how do the weights fit in the vest? I read its made to fit nice and snug in an effort to keep your posture correct. Anyways I hope to read your review later tonite.

- Emilio

5. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Yep, definitely no problem being snug and fitted! It really feels like it contours to the body, I was at the track earlier and did a few laps with this sucker on and I really felt the burn in my legs after only about a mile, no real joint pains during my run, and my lower back wasn't feeling anything bad so that's a good sign. My neck is feeling a little stiff though, which might be because of the extra weight i'm lugging around, I guess i'll see how everything feels tomorrow when I can really gauge how today went.

I loaded the vest up with 30 pounds which is about 18% of my weight, not a very good idea, so when I head over to the gym in a little bit, i'm gonna knock half of the weight off and see how it works in the pool. The weight loads very easily, and fits pretty snug when you flap the velcro over, even while I was running hard I didn't feel the weights moving around, so that's definitely a plus.

I really hope the lifeguard is on duty tonight :nod:

I'll post again after the gym, oh and if anyone decided to get one, if you're bigger in the gut area, you might want to try one size up because it's pretty difficult strapping it on.

My waist is just under 30 and the medium size says 30-36", and it still doesn't strap over fully, but it is adjustable so i'm gonna have to play around with it later on and see if that helps any.

6. wesaft

wesaft Well-Known Member

I´ve looked for one for a long time. To use whne I run, walk and play basketball.
    But they are a bit expensive for me :(

I´ve been thinking about sew up one by myself (let my mom do it ;) )
    A couple frinds of mine does alot of diving, and could probl get me a good deal on some lead.

The Xvest looks so comfortable, I want to make a copy of it.
    Anyone got better pictures of it? links? What material should I use?

Chris: perhaps you could take some detailed photos of it for me?
    and how limited is your sholder movement in it? Looks like it could limit my movement when I go up for a jumpshot?

The smartvest on the otherpage looks better for bball, not that whide over the shoulders.

I look forward to some more feedback of how it feels.

Edit: their picture link on the menu does not work. Got some good looks from the pdf files though. http://www.thexvest.com/pdf.htm

#26 wesaft, Nov 11, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  7. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Today, i'm sore as hell, basically I did a full go around at the gym, tried a bunch of exercises to really see how the vest felt during the motions.

Dips: Awesome, I put the full 40 pounds on when I was doing them and it felt so comfortable, definitely was great being able to just jump off the daip station and walk over to the pull up bar, which again, went great without a hitch, much easier than attaching a weight to a belt or holding a dumbbell between your legs.

Squats: My back felt pretty supported and I did my normal weight + the 40 pounds on the belt, so I think it was very helpful there and man is my butt feeling it this morning.

I did a few more exercises like lunges, good mornings, and some other ones that made no use of the vest like shoulder presses and curls, so i'm not gonna bother writing about it :)

Swimming on the other hand, man that was tough, you really feel that extra weight in the water, I dropped the weight to 12 pounds and I still barely did 2 laps back and forth (200 foot pool), I didn't really notice too much in the way of shoulder impedence, my arms moved pretty freely without any problem.

All in all, it's a great vest that will become a standard in my routines, 2 thumbs up :tu:

Wesaft: I actually know someone who used the smart vest, and I think the picture of it is a little misleading, the straps are pretty similar in size, the guy in the picture just seems to have very broad shoulders.

I don't really think any of the vests are "great" for competitive basketball, if you're just planning on shooting around, then it's alright, but playing a game would be too difficult because all vests are still somewhat bulky in the areas that you load the weight.

I'll go borrow my girl's digital cam and take some pictures for you later on, if you do duplicate it for cheaper, i'll take another one, size medium :D

8. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you made it out of the pool. To be honest, I was a little concerned when i read that you were going to swim in a weighted vest. :d_eek:

Do you think a 20lb vest would be worth it? Or do you reccomend the 40 because of the flexibility in adding more weight.

I'm thinking of getting a weight vest to practice Tai Chi Chuan in. What do you think?

9. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Doesn't that go against the entire principle of Tai Chi? :confused:

10. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Not sure. I guess it depends on how you look at Tai Chi and what you expect to get out of it.

The way I see it, you can look at Tai Chi 4 ways.
    1. For health benefits. Increase flexibility and strength.
    2. To develop or focus your chi or internal energy.
    3. As a internal martial art based on sensitivity and moving with your opponent to use their own energy against them.
    4. A combination of the above.

I fall under the "combination of the above" category. I want to develop dynamic leg strength, core strength and flexibility. I want to learn how to become focused. I also want to develop my sesitivity to become a more effective fighter.

So adding a weight vest to the above for more resisitance in all areas can only help. This is just the way that I see it. I'm sure other people would see it differently.

What do you think? Do you practice Tai Chi? I don't think my instructor would object.

11. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

I praticed Tai Chi for a period before I had my hip replacement 6 years ago. I've always considered myself a traditionalist in regards to some areas, and guess that I just didn't see the idea of Tai Chi and wearing a weighted vest coming together in the same thought. I don't see anything wrong with it...I was only curious.

12. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

I appreciate your comments. The way I see it <-------- disclaimer - Tai Chi is about balance. Ying and Yang, External and Internal, Pushing and Pulling. My idea is that a weight vest would throw a wrench into all of that. Thus making "balance" more difficult to achieve. So when I'm not wearing the vest the "balance" would be easier. Does that make sense or am I full of CHI? :)

13. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Makes sense...I'd be interested to hear about the results. Tai Chi is different than the other arts, and when I think of adding weight, I'm thinking along the lines of developing strength or power, not balance.
    It should be interesting though...

14. Emilio

Emilio Well-Known Member

I was thinking about using it while doing my Aikido training myself. I think it would help but I'd have to see how it felt doing breakfalls and rolls first. So now that you've had a bit of time with it has your opinion of it changed any? Or is it worth the cost? You got the 40lb vest with 40lbs right?

- Emilio

15. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

My opinion on the vest hasn't changed, I still love it, definitely worth the cost and I have to say, wearing it around the house while doing chores is great, especially since I run up and down the steps alot, which I imagine is doing wonders for my legs and overall core strength. I've been wearing to the supermarket also, I usually get odd looks from people but I don't care :)

Yep, I got the 40/40 vest, but I haven't put more than 30 pounds so far and that was just a test to see how it felt, generally for swimming I keep the weight at 10 pounds, while doing my work out at 20, plyometrics at 22, and sprinting/running at 15.

Completely forgot that someone wanted more detailed pictures of the vest, so i'll take some first thing tomorrow and get them up.