1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone into nice watches?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by John Stone, Nov 24, 2004.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I've been wanting a luxury watch for a very long time. To me, a man's watch is right up there with his shoes and suit when it comes to making a visual impression. A nice watch is like bling, for adults. :)

This Christmas Lisa and my entire family are all pitching in to buy me my first luxury watch. It will mean even more to me knowing that everyone in my family helped purchase it.

I looked at Rolex, Omega, Tag Heuer, Breitling and Cartier (among others). I wanted something sporty, but something that also looks good with a suit. After many months of research, I've made my choice: The Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer. I went with the full sized, COSC certified automatic (model #2531.80). I absolutely love this watch, and I can't wait to start wearing it! Anyone who's seen one in real life will tell you that pictures do not do it justice. It's an amazing looking watch.

Does anyone else here have an Omega or other fine watch? I'm far from an horologist, but I find the craftsmanship that goes into the mechanical Swiss watches absolutely amazing.

Here's the watch:

Attached Files:

2. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

i know nothing about watches but that is a nice looking watch.

3. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean about the watch being an important part of a visual impression. I am not too into watches, but I do have myself a pretty sweet RADO that I rock with my suit as well as any time I am just wearing a nice outfit.

I must say, the one you picked out is really nice. I'd definitely like to put that thing around my wrsit. Good taste! :tu:

4. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

That's the current "James Bond" watch I believe... never been into watches for $1,000-$3,000 plus... but hey, whatever jazzes you. :)

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

You are correct, Hort. In fact this is James Bond's exact watch of "choice". 007 switched from a Rolex Submariner to this model Omega starting in "Goldeneye" (although I think in "Goldeneye" he had the Quartz model, stepping up to the automatic in subsequent movies).

The James Bond tie-in didn't play any part in my choice, but hey if it's stylish enough for 007, it works for me! :)

Glad you guys like it!

6. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My watch is pretty tight, I'll need to find a pic or take one. It's a titanium Elgin, really heavy too.

How about these? :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. I LOVE watches. Very nice choice, John.

My daily watch is a nice Seiko Arctura Kinetic. I have a Tag Heuer that only comes out for special occasions. I have several watches by Fossil that are color coordinated to outfits and suits, and I'm thinking of looking into a Tissot sport as they have some nice ones that catch my eye.

The ultimate would be a Patek Philippe. But I wouldn't wanna pay more for my watch than I did for my car. ;)

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Just today, one of my girlfriends told me she is considering to possibly buy her husband a Tag Heuer watch for Christmas. I asked her about why he wanted one, and we discussed it for a bit. Myself, I get bored of watches (and clothing) easily, so I'd rather have about half a dozen $15 watches, then buy half a dozen more in a couple of years. I might buy my husband a watch this year, but it'll be in the $150 dollar range. That's an expensive watch to me.

9. Bluestreak

In reality, they're ridiculously expensive. It's just one of those things that I think every guy should get to do once in his life - have a really sweet watch.It's easy to see and feel the differences when you hold a watch (say, less than $200) against a more luxurious one. When I got my Arctura, and I held it against my Fossil watches (which was all I wore to that point) you could tell an obvious difference. My Fossils are about $100 watches, and are nice, but there's a lack of craftsmanship and quality materials that stands out.

Everything about an expensive watch feels good. They have some heft to them, the crystal is so clear it's like it's not even there, the band is very sturdy and has no "wobble" to it, the function buttons are very solid and precise when you touch them - there's no "slop" in them when you push a button. When you wear a nice watch with a suit, they seem to gleam and call attention to themselves; it is a classical finishing touch to the look.

It's by no means a necessity and is quite a luxury when you're talking about a nice watch that costs in the thousands. It's just a great feeling to put a quality timepiece on your arm. I don't know how to explain it other than the pride of owning and appreciating something truly beautiful like that.

-R

10. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

I am a fan of this one ...

[​IMG]

Jeremy

11. jRS

jRS Well-Known Member

No doubt it feels good and it's the little extra that makes a huge difference. Very sound of you to get one!

12. J2kDarkSkies

J2kDarkSkies Well-Known Member

I had an armitron once.

13. Freddi

Freddi Well-Known Member

I've got a thing for the ones you carry in your pocket with a chain... Dunno what you call them in english. The cool thing about them is that almost all grandparents have them. So if you get one, it has a history behind it as well...

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Nicely articulated, Blue.

A fine watch is basically functional jewelry for men (and women, of course). Many of them are heirloom-quality and can last several lifetimes. A tremendous amount of work and craftsmanship goes into high-end watches: the automatic COSC-certified movement, the sapphire crystal, the quality of the metals, the clasp, the bracelet, the crown, the seals, the dial, the arms - it's really quite amazing how accurate and well made they are.

You all have some very nice looking watches!

TAG makes some terrific looking watches. I was very close to going with this
    TAG Kirium. I also like this Omega Constellation (the one in the foreground), but it was a bit too dressy for everyday use.

15. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

John: Does the omega come standard with the red-light laser for cutting through jail bars after the bad guy tells you the one and only thing that could possibly stop his plot for world-domination?

Or is that extra?

I'm embarrased to say that I stopped wearing watches when I was really skinny (looked like a clock on my wrist instead of a watch). Since then I have always used my cell phone as my watch.

I don't wear it on my wrist.
    If I found a watch communicator--with the laser--then I'd wear a watch again.

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

The laser is so 1995 (we'll ignore "Die Another Day" for the moment). I opted for the retractable grappling hook. :D

17. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

18. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

I have a Tag Heuer that I adore. It's not only beautiful, but incredibly durable.
    Unlike many women I know, I'm not really big into jewelry, but I love nice watches. I bought my husband a Tag as wedding gift and he also loves his.

19. Emilio

Emilio Well-Known Member

I love watches. My current daily is my Citizen Skyhawk (Blue Angels edition). As a pilot you have to have a chrono(ok i just loved the look and the features!). The new tag F1 color watches are relatively cheap(Seen as low as 500 at the local dealer). I plan on purchasing that one for myself when I hit my goal weight. When I graduate from college though I really want to go all out and buy a nice breitling(I've been eyeing the emergency for quite some time now but its around 3,500 and thats well out of my range... someday though). As for your watch John.. its garbage.. i suggest sending it to me for proper disposal. Hah yeah right thats one hell of a watch there John I am sure it will be with you for quite some time. Enjoy it!

- Emilio

20. Bluestreak

Bwahahaha!

I love those. I've got a buyer for my Tag right now (I need the $$$ for some guitar equipment and I enjoy the Arctura more) so I think I'm going to let the Tag go, get the guitar gear I need, and get a Citizen. Possibly one of the perpetual calendar watches... this one:

Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8700

I adore that watch, and I'd rather have a couple daily wear watches than one I wear only a few times a year. Awesome watch, Emilio!