1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone in college?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by tensdanny, Sep 2, 2004.

1. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

so i've started my schooling at uw-platteville, and i must say it is hella hard to eat healthy. they never have chicken breasts, so for lunch i have turkey and brocholli, and for dinner i have two burger patties, and broccholi. i also always drink these with diet mountain dew, or water. it is really quite a struggle, but hopefully if i stay dedicated i'll be cut up in no time.

2. billysbrew

billysbrew Well-Known Member

When I was in.....

There are a few things to do when in this situation.

First, you gotta start taking stuff with you (even if you have to hide it ;) ). If they have unpeeled fruit, take it. If they have hard boiled eggs, take those. Packets of dried oats, takem. Bring a shaker filled with protien powder in with you and fill it with milk, then use that for your protien shake in the next few hours. If they have a salad bar, look for cottage cheese.

Make sure and check out all the places to eat on campus, there were a few treasures that I did not find until my later years just because I had no idea they were even there.

:gl:

3. BRobinson

BRobinson Well-Known Member

I'm going to UC Santa Barbara in about 18 days, and from what I saw at Orientation, eating healthy won't be too bad in the dining commons. I also plan on making frequent trips to Costco/Vons for easy-made items in my dorm room. My current favorite meal on the go is this:

1 large lo-carb tortilla (Tortilla Factory, 80 kcal)
    2 slices low-fat turkey (60 kcal)
    1 slice low-fat ham (30 kcal)
    2 tsp Atkins lo-carb Barbeque Sauce (10 kcal) OR
    2 tsp Deli-Style Spicy Mustard (0kcal)

All together, 180 kcal, Lots of protein, little everything else. And OH SO Tasty.

Also, if your dorm has a microwave on the floor, bring some frozen chicken-breasts. I'm gonna try to keep a supply of fresh fruit and lo-carb bread/bagels in my dorm room too, but we'll see how long my cash reserves hold up. That combined with my 5+ lbs of Isopure should last me at least the first quarter.

4. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Hey,

I'm at Johns Hopkins and am continuing a cutting routine I started over the summer. I don't know about you but I have difficulty eating the right amounts with my schedule. College food is definetly set up around alot of food once or twice a day instead of small amounts spread out.

There's been some great advice that I agree with already mentioned, so let me see if I can add a few points and raise some questions I have of my own.

Cold cut meats can really be good for you, in small amounts. They're easy to store in a fridge and great snacks. Mini-sandwhiches with Ritz or something aren't the best, but can hit the spot while still being high protein/low carb.

Also, I have to eat on the run often so I will order a sandwhich from a local deli with all the veggies and meat, but no cheese or mayo. I get about 40 carbs from the bread, but the two halves last for two meals.

Cafeteria food is hit or miss. I've found myself purchasing less things with the meal plan and more from grocery stores. If you can, ask politely to carry stuff out. Often times they don't mind, if you're polite about it.

Baby carrots last great throughout the day stuck in a backpack, try that when you're hungry.

I have a few questions maybe some people can answer.

First off, do you plan what you will be eating in advance? Do you plan it for the week? The day before? I often have trouble making the time for this, any suggestions?

Also, I get dissapointed with the variety of choices. Its alot of tuna and chicken breasts. Do people often eat the same thing day in and day out?

5. Proctorjc

Proctorjc Well-Known Member

My first week at Western Michigan University draws to a close, and I've learned a few things (I'll even stay on topic).

The food is really good. Good in the way that it fills me up for hours at a time. Good in the way it tastes. I can definitely understand why people put on weight when they go to university (WMU's mascot is the bronco. Hence, "Bronco Butt").

Hence, I'm scaling back how much I eat. Like, a plate of eggs and bacon maybe shouldn't make up my breakfast. It's really good, and all... Maybe not the most healthy thing in the world.

But I do say that I never really had a "training plan" persay that I was on before, or while I got here. The rec center is packed with people (Though, I could wake up at 6am and see how it looks. My earliest class begins at 10am. I don't think it's going to happen.) But I can still run!

My biggest problem, though, is that I have no idea what's being served in the closest, or even the furthest, cafeteria. I just have to make sure that I don't grab too much.

Oh yeah.. Two glasses of water at every meal (except breakfast, which is one of orange juice, and one of water). Look at me ramble!!

Jeff.

6. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

One thing about water, learn to love it. I personaly have one of those huge 1.5 litre bottles and make it a goal to drink 3 a day. I'm constantly chugging on it, and it definetly helps.

Also, I was surprised that the cafeteria does list its menu online at my school. You shouled check out your dining services and often they'll have info, even dietary info.

7. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

O/T

someone PM'd me and I accidently deleted the message, so I'll reply here real quick, feel free to ignore this.

I'm a CS student at JHU and am now a sophomore.

Thanks!!

8. jRS

jRS Well-Known Member

Not a college student, but still a student...

Im at school for 7 hours mon-fri. In the mornings I have oatmeal and milk around 7.30am. I don't have a food breake until 12pm, but I manage to eat some fruit around 10. At 12 I have a meal replacement shake before I go to a cafe or something like that with my friends. I don't order anything cos they always go to a bakery or pizza place or something. Then I have some protein powder and some bread when I come home. Extra protein before going to the gym. A protein shake and some fruit right after my workout. Then I have some fish or meat in the evening and a little bit of protein powder before bedtime.
    I bring a 0,5l bottle at school that I refill when needed.

As for gyms, mine dont open till 8am so I have to wait till the afternoon. By that time its always stacked with people and stays that way till it closes.

All schools I've been going to have only scheduled one food breake throughout the day. Even on 8h days. I hate to sit and eat, hide food or drinking protein powder in front of other students. The first time my friends saw me drinking protein powder they thought I was crazy. There is no way to hide it from them, unless I wanna mix a shake in the bathroom...which I wont ever do!

9. E-1

E-1 Well-Known Member

I go to college and have no problems eating healthy. In fact, its a lot easier. I don't know about you but my budget is pretty limited. I got $1300 or so to spread out throughout the semester. Quite a bit but considering surprise expenses, you got to save up. So right there, I no longer consider items like beer, pizza, and even the occasional bag of weed because it costs money...money I don't have. Doesn't mean I don't go to parties, I still do that. You just don't have to drink.

Second, a lot of healthy food like tuna and oatmeal are dirt cheap. I picked the smallest meal plan possible at my college, which gave me an extra $300. Food overall is cheaper when you buy it yourself so my suggestion is to get the bare bones plan and eat there seldomly, like if you want to have a cheat day or meal. For my college, its 7 meals a week. I don't think I've eaten there seven times in general so far and its my third week here.

Its tough to cut during college, especially with all that food, all that alcohol, and of course, peer pressure from the guys. However, the key is to just stick to your guns, have fun, and of course study. Cutting is definitely possible, I lost the first twenty pounds during last semester at college and so far have lost two pounds since I've arrived.