1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Help with the diet/routine?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by jeremaeus, Aug 13, 2007.

1. jeremaeus

jeremaeus Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I've started my journey to healthy living and a good muscular physique and I'd love some assistance now. I've been on this for about 3 months now, eating 5 meals a day (see below) and cardio and weights. My questions will follow below my routines/diet info.

Stats:
    Current Weight: 182
    Height: 5'10"
    BMI (for whatever its worth - 26)
    BF % - no idea (but it aint too good...love handles/belly...nuff said).

I'm cutting still and looking to get to about 165 with a bf% of around 14.

Here's my diet, followed by my cardio and weight routine. Also note...my weights were primarily done on a bowflex...not ideal...but last week I went and bought a good set of dumbbells and different sized plates to start replacing what I would do on the bowflex with free weights. The difference in the exercises and fatigue afterwards is great. The range of motion and resistance being constant with the free weights is so much more beneficial in my opinion. I'm hoping the change in weights will help me out of this plateau as well.

DIET Monday through Friday -

8am:
    1 cup of Banana Nut crunch cereal
    1 cup skim plus

11am
    1/2 cup oatmeal with a tablespoon of flaxseed meal
    1 banana

2pm
    5 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup of brown rice with red beans
    1 cup dry salad (cucumbers, carrots, romaine, onion)
    1 apple

5pm
    5 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup of brown rice with red beans
    1 cup dry salad (cucumbers, carrots, romaine, onion)
    1 granola bar

7:30pm
    turkey on whole wheat
    2 slices ff cheese
    1/2 cup dry salad

9:30pm
    protein shake w/Chondroitin, MSM, and Glucosamine. Oh a liquid multi vitamin sometime during the day as well.

I drink a gallon of water throughout the day, sometimes more depending on heat/workout etc.

Saturday - I have 3 small meals, and then usually a big (cheat) family meal or go out to dinner and enjoy myself.

Sunday - usually 4 small meals, at a larger calorie deficiency than my M-F routine (to shake up the system a little and to help make up for Saturday's partying). I read that changing the variation of your calorie intake throughout te week also helps with not encountering plateaus.

Workout sched:
    Weights - 3-4 times a week (depending on schedule. Minimum 3 times a week)

Chest & Tris
    Dumbbell Incline Press 3 x 10
    Dumbbell Bench Press 3 x 10
    Dumbbell Flys 3 x 10
    Tricept Pulldowns (on bowflex) 3 x 10
    Tricept Dumbbell overhead 3 x 10

(i also try and burn out at the end of the workout by doing pushups to fail)

Back & Bis
    Lat pulldowns (on bowflex) - 3 x 10
    Seated Lat Rows (on Bowflex) - 3 x 10
    Dumbbell Lat raises - 3 x 10
    Dumbbell bicept curls - 3 x 10
    Standing Bicept curls (on bowflex) - 3 x 10
    incline dumbbell bicept curls - 3 x 10

Shoulders, Legs & Abs
    Leg extensions (on bowflex) - 3 x 10
    Calf curls (on bowflex) - 3 x 10
    Dumbbell shoulder press - 3 x 10
    Cable cross-overs (on bowflex) 3 x 10
    Dumbbell shoulder flys - 3 x 10
    Dumbbell shoulder shrugs - 3 x 10
    Crunches - 2 x 20
    Sit ups - 2 x 20

I try and work to failure or just below it. Also...normally I do NOT feel that sore the next day. I dont know if its from the MSN, Glucosamine and protein shake after lifting to promote recovery, but I never feel like my muscles are jelly the day after. Is this good or bad? Am I not breaking the muscle tissue down enough?

Cardio: 6 days a week. Generally I run 4-5 nights a week (yes nights...morning workouts and cardio are out of the question right now). I warm up 5 minutes...do about 40 min. of medium paced jogging (probably about 5mph maybe 5.5 or 6 depending on how I feel), and cool down for 5 minutes. I try and do one or two elliptical sessions a week to change it up at 40 minutes per session with a warm up and cool down included in that time frame. I also play a game or two of softball a week in the summer (for whatever that's worth).

My questions: I'm trying to cut down now and really reduce the body fat but feel like i'm plateauing a little . I'm thinkin that I can get to like 165 or 168 by nov/dec.

so.....Do you think my calorie intake is good enough for healthy cutting? Am I eating too much? Not enough? When should I change my workout routine up? How should I change it up? I've seen some recommendations that you shouldnt change anything for like 3 months, then I've seen other recommendations that say every 4-6 weeks. Also...Is there anything you're seeing in my lists that should be remedied immediately? What else can I do now to break through this plateau? I started this May 15th at around 208 lbs. 3 months later I'm down 25 lbs and have gained a little muscle mass and definition (or maybe its just less fat infront of it), but I've got a LONG way to go. Sadly I find I enjoy the running the most, and not the lifting...but i know i need to really hit the iron more to get the most out of my metabolism. So...too much cardio? Not enough lifting?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I know I probably just need a lot more patience and a few tweaks...but when you've seen whats possible, and know you can achieve it...you want to get there as soon as possible. Sorry no pics...I'll try and take some and edit this post when I can.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jeremaeus

#1 jeremaeus, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  2. endo

endo Well-Known Member

Meals 1 & 2 are missing protein source. Maybe add egg whites to meal 1 and a protein shake to go along with meal 2.
    Also aside from your flax seed oil in meal 2, it doesn't look like you have any fat (healthy) in your diet. Try throwing in some almonds, fish oil, olive oil or natural peanut butter in with the other meals.

Whatever your maintenance is, subtract 500 from it and start from there. I think you should probably be around 2,200 calories. Adjust accordingly from there depending on how fast or slow the weight is coming off.

As far is switching things up, you probably will get answers all over the board. Do what works for you. If there is progress, don't try to change anything too much, if it starts to slow down or stop, then something needs to change, be it your diet and/or your workout program.

It seems like you've made very good progress so far dropping 25lbs in only 3 months, keep it up!

3. jeremaeus

It seems like adding the almonds or peanut butter (both of which I love) would add a lot of calories in a very small package. I understand the need for adding good fats...but wouldnt this then decrease my overall calorie deficit per day and slow my rate of fat loss?

4. endo

endo Well-Known Member

It would increase your overall calories but I don't think it would slow down your rate of fat loss. Something I've learned along the way that I wish I would have realized earlier on is the fact that you need to eat fat to lose fat. I did not believe this even after being told and reading it over and over :confused:

But... make the fats fit in with your diet. If calories are coming in high with the fats then you need to cut calories elsewhere... your carb sources.
    Example: You can change your banana crunch w/ 1 cup skim to 1 cup oatmeal. You can also remove the granola bar. The fat free cheese can go as well.

Hope this helps.

5. jeremaeus

Endo,

Thanks so much for help. I will start instituting some healthy Peanut butter and perhaps some olive oil and vinegar with the salads and take away a granola bar during the day.

Any advice on changing the workout routine?

Thanks again.

Jer